Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Banners on 29 September, 2009, 11:38:15 AM
Why do clients constantly send logos embedded in Word documents - from where it's a pain to get the images out cleanly. Why do they think this step of putting a logo into a Word document is necessary and don't just send the images on their own?
AIEEEE! M@
I used to do a regular project where we would need print logos for the major media companies in the UK. Despite these organisations having design departments to deal with sending that sort of stuff out, so often our contacts would just drag the logos off their company homepage, stick them in PowerPoint, Word etc then be baffled when we would say we can't use them for repro.

James Stacey

It's better than being given a business card and being told to work with the logo off that I guess. Been asked to build entire websites based on a business card.

Banners

Thank you for feeling my pain. Logos taken from home pages is pretty common. Worse than business cards are blocky, mono scanned letterheads they send.

When you then spend time recreating the logo as a decent vector (AI's live trace only gets you so far), the client asks if you can send them a copy as, wow, it looks so much better. When you tell them that if they want it, they'll be charged for the time, they strangely go quiet...

M@

SuperSurfer

Yup. Had that recently. Put together an advert and just couldn't get a decent quality logo off client, despite the fact that someone somewhere drew it. So rather than produce a crappy advert I just ate crap and redrew the logo. Few weeks on, client asks me to email the logo and I ended up spending ages doing the cmyk, rgb, jpeg, size variations etc.

Tiplodocus

Daughter's flat burgled.

And her and her boyfriend aren't insured because they forgot to take out cover when they cancelled a bank account that had previously provided it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

Ah, shit, Tips. Very sorry to hear that. But I suspect you have the wrong thread. Life spugs.

- Trout

TordelBack

QuoteAh, shit, Tips. Very sorry to hear that. But I suspect you have the wrong thread. Life spugs.

S'right.

Tiplodocus

Well they had a fair bit of stuff taken but nobody hurt, they weren't in flat at time so not as creepy as it might be and, after all, it is only just stuff they lost.

It still probably SPUGS for them but it's a minor impediment for me; I can see me having to buy a new laptop to help through final year of OT course etc.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Odd_Bloke

I bruised my heel earlier, which is going to make the 20 minute walk home more than a little uncomfortable (and probably more than 20 minutes).

COMMANDO FORCES

Me and Sam just walked back home via the town centre. He wanted a cheeseburger from MacDonalds so we popped in. I asked for two and said don't bother with a bag as we'll take them in just the wrapper. The lass turned around, picked up two cheeseburgers and (yes you know what's coming next) placed them into a brown bag.

What is the FUCKING point >:( >:(

Odd_Bloke

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 29 September, 2009, 08:25:35 PM
Me and Sam just walked back home via the town centre. He wanted a cheeseburger from MacDonalds so we popped in. I asked for two and said don't bother with a bag as we'll take them in just the wrapper. The lass turned around, picked up two cheeseburgers and (yes you know what's coming next) placed them into a brown bag.

What is the FUCKING point >:( >:(

If you don't completely disengage your brain when working in a place like McDonalds you go insane in fairly short order.   :P

COMMANDO FORCES

Mike Gloady

There isn't a lot to think about in jobs like McDonalds - they deliberately remove that from the job description.  Hence folks minds are rarely entirely ON the job (because it's been deskilled to the point of meaningless) and stupid mistakes like that happen. 

Not the end of the world though, eh?
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

COMMANDO FORCES

mogzilla

the press, we have been trying to get the HPV vaccinations up and running (the jade goody one) and today the news rambles on about a girl dying after having her hpv vaccinaion... cue, many phone calls and stressy staff.

still it takes the focus offa swine flu of which i have to have a "mask fitting" as a front line staff member and no i dont know what it about.