Main Menu

Chief Judge Cal(igula)

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 July, 2018, 07:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 19 July, 2018, 07:11:27 PM
He was only ever called Cal in the strip.

The real Caligula went completely nuts, possibly the result of lead poisoning since all the pipes were made of lead.

We don't even know if he really was a madman.  The whole idea of insanity and sexual perversion was a common trope at the time when muddying the name of unpopular politicians. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

How do you know he wasn't unpopular because he was an insane pervert?

Q: "What are you writing?"
A: "It's a biography of Caligula. Since he died last year, now it's safe to write about him without being executed for it."
Q: "Good, I've always hated him ever since he raped my wife and I at our wedding in front of all the guests. Are you going to mention that bit?"
A: "Fuck no, future generations will just assume I made it up to blacken his name just because he was unpopular. I'm just going to leave all that stuff out."
Q: "Really?! Even the bit when he said he wished he could execute the entire population of the empire?"
A: "Especially that bit."

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 July, 2018, 12:03:50 PM
Quote from: Richard on 19 July, 2018, 07:11:27 PM
He was only ever called Cal in the strip.

The real Caligula went completely nuts, possibly the result of lead poisoning since all the pipes were made of lead.

We don't even know if he really was a madman.  The whole idea of insanity and sexual perversion was a common trope at the time when muddying the name of unpopular politicians. 

Pretty sure I've heard that about Nero (and King Herod isn't quite as bad as the Bible says - just got a bad rap from that "killing all the babies" thing).

Dash Decent

Quote from: BMCCOLL on 19 July, 2018, 08:25:02 PM
... and lead in Latin is plumbum, hence plumber. Here endeth the lesson.

Hence Pb is the notation for lead on the Periodic Table of Elements.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.