Main Menu

What nationality are they anyway?

Started by Artificial Idiot, 19 October, 2005, 01:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artificial Idiot

I was reading the Invasion EE recently, and was quite surprised to learn that Volgs are Asian. Now, even in the old Invasion strips they looked/dressed like Europeans, so what's all this about? Was the artist/writer just too lazy to put the extra effort in giving them that 'Asian touch', or are they actually Germans/Russians in a very poor disguise?

Just something I found yo be quite strange.

Art

Bico

Possibly they were supposed to look more caucasian to bring out the Iraq allegory.  Possibly they were deliberately not drawn as some kind of crude asian stereotype in case people started deciding they were supposed to be North Koreans or Chinese.
In the original stories, the Asian look was a last-minute thing to sidestep the fact that the Volgans were originally supposed to be Soviets, and the villians were reimagined as soldiers of a super-state in the east somewhere, presumeably comprised of territories including China and Russia.
Personally, I suspect it just didn't occur to Charlie Adlard either way, so he just went about drawing what he was comfortable with.  Given the Iraq allegory, and the possibility of selling the story to ITV to be made into a series starring Ross Kemp as Bill Savage, I reckon they're just running with it at this stage.

Max Kon

P14

Russia is abig place it has both 'European' and 'Asian' looking people in it

Artificial Idiot

But even the original Volgs in 'Invasion' didn't look like Asians, let alone the new Volgs!

Art

Now, remeber, Volgs aren't actually Russian*, they just come from a country that occupies more or less the exact same geographical space, and has very similar politics, culture, tanks etc,  without actually being Russian. It's somehow scrunched into that space without displacing anything else on the map, Sort of like Latvia, the mythical homeland of Dr. Doom.

*New fangled Volgs might be, due to some kind of continuity fudge, but I pretty mutch ignored that and so should all other right minded people.

Noisybast

"i'm Eurasian"

I don't think so.
No, I'd definitely remember owning an asian.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Rex Banner

I've always assumed they were Russian based on the fact that Volgs being Volgans would surely be from somewhere near the Volga River.

Lobo Baggins

Sort of like Latvia, the mythical homeland of Dr. Doom.

Er, Latveria...

If Latvia's a fictional place, it looked pretty damn convincing when I went there.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Art

Latvia? Yeah right. Like a central european country with that many castles on top of rocky mountain crags, and medieval peasants at the bottom, and bloody robots everywhere actually exists.

Byron Virgo

"I've always assumed they were Russian based on the fact that Volgs being Volgans would surely be from somewhere near the Volga River."

That's how it was placed in the first book of Savage - Vashkov overthrew Gorbachev and essentially renamed the USSR to the VER (or whatever it's called), taking the name from the Volgan River near to where he grew up and developed an unhealthy obsession with Jospeh Stalin.

Of course, the Volgan's were Soviet Russians up until the last minute - if you look at the legendary 'Prog 0', you'll note that they're still referred to as Russians in Jesus Blasco's opening episode.

Art

No, no, no. That never happened. I'd erased that whole wretched peice of retconning from my mind and I shall do so again.

Byron Virgo

Art