Main Menu

Highly off-topic, But I really could use some help!

Started by Artificial Idiot, 13 November, 2005, 06:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artificial Idiot

Right, I've had two essays to do over the weekend, one was easy, but the other is literally starting to give me a headache.

The topic is 'Why was there a Civil War in the USA between 1861-1864', I have the really basic information and I know the basic catalysts (Federal/Central Gov./Western Expansion/Slavery/Taxes & Tariffs/Which all led to the secession of the Deep South) but I'm having trouble fleshing them out.

I've trawled a few sites, looked in the text books but they all seem to overcomplicate things, so does anybody know anywhere where one can get simple information on the causes of the war? It would be a great help!

Funt Solo

If you add + .ppt to any google searches then you'll often get PowerPoint presentations of the subject you're searching for.  These are usually lecture materials, and due to the format are often concise and to the point.

That's:

+ .ppt

As in:

the cause of the american civil war + .ppt

Which returned this as first hit:

http://homepages.ius.edu/nisjohns/background.htm
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

longmanshort

Proctor: All right, here?s your last question. What was the cause of the Civil War?
Apu: Actually, there were numerous causes. Aside from the obvious schism between the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists, there were economic factors, both domestic and inter?
Proctor: Wait, wait ? just say slavery.
Apu: Slavery it is, sir!

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/apu-mets.jpg">

;-)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Quirkafleeg

We I was a kid you had to go down the library and physically take books off the shelf and copy great stretches out by hand... we didnt have any of this newfangled copy and pasting great stretches from google searches. And I remember when all this was fields too...

Wils

In case of *extreme* emergency...

[cough]paraphrase[/cough]

;)

Artificial Idiot

Cheers for that Fate, I'll just have to move to my brothers laptop, as this one doesn't have powerpoint.

Ah, LMS, you don't know how tempting that is... ;)

Funt Solo

Oh, and I presume that an Encyclopedia (or Wikipedia) would have a concise description.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

philt

Funny my brother had a few people submit coursework for their finals which was plagerised from the web.

Guess how much they scored? Put it like this it it was less than 1%

Funt Solo

Aye, I have students occasionally who plagiarise from the web.

I also have students who use the web as a resource, correctly reference any material used and get on fine as a result.

Apparently there are also things called books and journals that they keep in a special building called a library.  Some kind of old-tech system that's supposedly quite handy.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Artificial Idiot

I always think that gathering facts is only one part of essay writing, and that injecting your own opinions on things is just as, if not even more, important. So I always try to get the basic facts laid out, and then say (in my opinion) how that effecting things and what was most important as the whole.

I wouldn't really be so web-reliant in writing, but I literally have no notes on this subject and the text book that comes with the course isn't helping.