Main Menu

How to identify First Edition Titan Books

Started by zzap64, 05 January, 2013, 06:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzap64

Hello, (my first forum post)

I recently received a selection of old 80's Titan books, mainly JD Chronicles 1-20 and I wanted to check how to  identify if they are First Edition?
E.g. Judge Dredd Chronicles #6 says this edition is (c) 1987 but the text then states it is First Edition October 1985. Do I assume this is not the 1985 edition ?

Also, #10 states the First Edition is 1983 but #9 shows a first Edition of 1986, is this an error ?

A confused but loyal fan :)

Large48

They re-printed these a LOT!

The hardbacks are usually first editions, one easy way to see what version they are it to look at the adverts / lists of other books in the series included within it.
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Spikes

It should tell you on one of the inside pages  1.) what year your copy was printed and then 2.) what year the first print came out.

My book One of the Cursed Earth is a 4th(?) reprinting dating from 1987 - though the original print was released in 1982
The back cover photo shows what Dredd collections had been released by then. My Book Two is first print from 1982.

glassstanley

First edition of Book One has a full page Bolland drawing of Dredd on the back cover instead of the usual list of available books.

Dark Jimbo

The same rule holds true for just about any book - what you're usually looking for is that sequence of numbers on the copyright page. As Judge Jack says, he's got a fourth printing, and you can tell because his number line ends in a 4:

The lowest number present denotes the print edition, so a first edition will generally be:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

or:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Just need to be clear about the difference between a printing and edition. The first Edition of a book (or indeed  2nd Edition, 3rd Edtion etc etc) can have multiple printing. The printing should refer to the same item being reprinted again, same thing, so content, just different print run. A new edition in theory should have alterations, adjustments, so for example if the content of the strips is the same it might have a new introduction. Typically in academic books it means the content has been amended to update it and or make corrections.

This does get confused and misused in the comics industry say when the 2nd printing has a different cover it could be said to be a new edition but that just librarian hair splitting.

vark

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 January, 2013, 05:40:20 PM
The same rule holds true for just about any book - what you're usually looking for is that sequence of numbers on the copyright page. As Judge Jack says, he's got a fourth printing, and you can tell because his number line ends in a 4:

The lowest number present denotes the print edition, so a first edition will generally be:

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

or:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
I am after this kind of information for sooooooo long now! Thanks Darkjimbo you have made my day.

opaque

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 05 January, 2013, 09:49:56 PM
This does get confused and misused in the comics industry say when the 2nd printing has a different cover it could be said to be a new edition but that just librarian hair splitting.

Or collector hair-splitting ;)

nicklambo

Brings back memories...I was working for Titan books back in the 80's.....did a lot of artwork repair...Fond memories indeed...!

Spikes

Quote from: nicklambo on 07 January, 2013, 04:05:35 PM
did a lot of artwork repair

Interesting. So, what would that entail - if you dont mind me asking.

James Stacey

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 05 January, 2013, 05:40:20 PM

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

or:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Or:
1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2
which seems to be the modern standard

zombemybabynow

F@@KING STICKY LABELS YOU JUST CAN'T GET OFF?
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 07 January, 2013, 04:43:29 PM
F@@KING STICKY LABELS YOU JUST CAN'T GET OFF?

Lighter fluid works for me. Just add a little with a cotton bud and then slowly work off. Then give it another wipe with fluid to get any sticky glue off.

James Stacey

Or a heat gun. Excites the glue and means even the oldest sticker lifts off easily.

Skullmo

Use a time bomb with a low intensity blast, the glue ages quicker than the paper and falls off. But don't let small children near it whist you are using it or you will have to pay their way through university.
It's a joke. I was joking.