Main Menu

A 2000AD film by any other name

Started by mejustnow, 27 March, 2014, 11:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I always felt that Waterworld felt like an Alan Hebden/Jesus Redondo B strip...

DrRocka

I'm sure I saw a Kurt Russel movie one night called Soldier that was basically Rogue Trooper without the chips.
Never ever bloody anything ever

mejustnow

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 28 March, 2014, 07:38:11 AM
The elephant unwrapping his Cornetto in the aisle behind you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKmCisU9GHE

Read the book instead.

[/color]

Well now I've seen that! Very "Hell Trekkers"
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

The Adventurer

Wall-E is a Sam Slade adventure waiting to happen.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

malkymac

Quote from: DrRocka on 29 March, 2014, 01:18:01 AM
I'm sure I saw a Kurt Russel movie one night called Soldier that was basically Rogue Trooper without the chips.

I was just about to post the very same thing.

malkymac

The recent Karl Urban series 'Almost Human' has some Dredd/2000AD touches - future cop with android partner, references to 'the Wall' and putting offenders in the cubes.

malkymac

Having just reread Detonators I would say that Pacific Rim could have been a movie version of that.

Professor Bear

Quote from: malkymac on 30 March, 2014, 01:48:49 PM
The recent Karl Urban series 'Almost Human' has some Dredd/2000AD touches - future cop with android partner, references to 'the Wall' and putting offenders in the cubes.

And building up a "robot war" storyline.

malkymac

Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 March, 2014, 11:07:42 PM

Too bad it is probably going to get shitcanned as i was really enjoying it.

amines2058

Quote from: malkymac on 31 March, 2014, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 30 March, 2014, 11:07:42 PM

Too bad it is probably going to get shitcanned as i was really enjoying it.

Not definitely shitcanned yet though, more like shitcan limbo, I am still living in hope of a season 2 to see what is beyond the wall!

Hawkmumbler

Attack the Block felt very Cradlegrave to me.

vzzbux

This is a complete rip off of our very own Joseph.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

amines2058

I recall a film that came out in 1995ish but the name escapes me. It was vaguely similar to the Judge Dredd story in 2000ad, but different in a bad way. The hero has a slight speech impediment and played a law enforcement role but  did not wear a helmet. He also wore a gold shiny codpiece, Shiny gold boots and a matt black catsuit??
There was a cheesy comedy sidekick called Fergie who shared the same name but nothing else with Fergie from The Day The Law Died.
As I say could have been a 2000ad movie but to many glaring errors and differences to make me think of it as one.

pert

I always thought the "so bad they're good" italian post apocalpypse movies Bronx Warriors, The New Barbarians and After The Fall Of New York were a bit 2000ad ish

Professor Bear

Strange but true - After the Fall of New York shares a lot of plot similarities and themes with Children of Men.  Some trash is seemingly a hair's breadth away from being arthouse.

There's a lot of 2000ad to post-apocalyptic 1980s movies, but a lot of them lack the satire or black humor to really solidify the link even for big fans of both.  Steel Dawn ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgF7U95ekkc ) is kind of like Dry Run if you squint at either of them for a bit, while Steel Frontier has one or two moments across its 90 minutes that are pretty 2000ad-ish, too.  Robot Jox shares a lot of tropes beloved of early twoothy futuresport strips if you don't mind its plastic sets and plastic actors, though the stop-motion robot fights now have a retro charm, and border on genius when scraps spill into orbit and robots start transforming into giant tanks mid-battle.  Some of the character stuff like the racist Texan coach always wearing a big cowboy hat, the enemy robo pilot's cold-bloodedness, and the dystopian American society where "the people" are a poverty-stricken underclass scream early-80s  Pat Mills, too.