Main Menu

How to make a healthy vibrant forum?

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 August, 2019, 07:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

True dat.  And while we've lost a few big-hitters to life, death and/or Fauxbook, we can still boast the patronage of many absolute giants of the fan community, to pick just a few examples maryanddavid, Eamonn Clarke and Bolt01.

Now if we could just drive off that rump of diehard pros...

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 07 September, 2019, 05:46:23 PM

All the posts on here going back to the early aughts were originally made on a fan site, created by Wake*, weren't they? Tharg only slotted those years of waffle into his spare USB port a short while before I joined (I think) - so it's a fan site gone corporate.

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=1.msg1#msg1

* The genius responsible for Barney

What a lonely thread - despite claims to Eternity, it hadn't had a post for seven years.

Until today.

Tiplodocus

I love this place. Have made some genukne real life friends here.

Having recently taken a step back from FB, I've found this place a lovely oasis again. Sure it's a trivial distraction but it's about trivia and distractions I like.

Frankly, my order of checking is FILM AND TV (I don't buy agazines like Empire or SFX anymore so it's a great resource), PROG and MEGAZINE (though being digital, I have to watch out for spoilers) and OFF TOPIC because the politics thread is a gold mine of hot takes and satire.

I'm glad we are a lot less laddish, sexist and objectifying of women then we (I) used to be but more diversity would be welcome. This place taught me how to behave properly on the internet after some foolish early years. (The secret? Not a secret really. Do as you would face to face).

But like the mark at a card game, if I haven't  figured out who the horrible bitchy person on the forum is... May be it's me? Actually I'm not sure that's true. I just think that some of the complainers on FB have mistaken being corrected for being persecuted and left.

So some good suggestions above: a cull or clustering of the less used topics and some new open ended discussion areas on characters, character types or themes  to encourage new people and debate.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Fungus on 24 August, 2019, 02:28:15 AM
But:
The prog's not great.

Except this. I really don't see this myself but each to their own and all that.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 September, 2019, 03:38:13 PM

But like the mark at a card game, if I haven't  figured out who the horrible bitchy person on the forum is... May be it's me? Actually I'm not sure that's true.

It's definitely not you.

I suspect it's me.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

You are definitely not "the horrible bitchy person on the forum" - you're regarded as a good dude*, and whilst many people are often exasperated at your idealistic naivety and refusal to accept factual rebuttals to your arguments, they engage with the debate rather than flaming or abusing you in the way that many other forums would. Even Jim Campbell who doesn't mince his words and regularly gets infuriated by your stance, never (okay rarely) resorts to personal abuse, and that's why this forum is so nice - multiple viewpoints, but reasonable behaviour when it comes to arguing them.

*those of us who remember the Wednesday chat room and Supersquirrel undefeated would go further than that

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 20 September, 2019, 11:25:48 PM
Even Jim Campbell who doesn't mince his words and regularly gets infuriated by your stance, never (okay rarely) resorts to personal abuse

No, I absolutely have, and far too often. I've been in places where I was an ugly stress monster who was drinking far too much and was pouring rage into my keyboard. That doesn't excuse anything that I said but I've been trying to do better in recent years, which is all I can do, really.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Aww, thanks, DDD - I think you're a good dude as well. Most here are.

Jim, don't sweat it. Although we do seem to wind one another up from time to time, I don't hold any of our spats against you. I reckon that if and when we meet in real life we'll get on fine - so long as we don't talk about anything and just concentrate on the comics and the boozing :D

This is a grand place, stuffed with grand folk.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Bolt-01

Having met both Jim and Shark in person I genuinely believe they'd be great company in a pub for many a night.

TordelBack

Sipping their soy lattes quietly in the corner.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 September, 2019, 10:19:07 AM
Sipping their soy lattes quietly in the corner...

...arguing about the merits, and otherwise, of GM soy and what it means to the future of humanity.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 21 September, 2019, 10:17:15 AM
Having met both Jim and Shark in person I genuinely believe they'd be great company in a pub for many a night.

I've had some lovely times sitting around with droids and squaxx - I need a better paid job so I can attend more of them!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 September, 2019, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 21 September, 2019, 10:17:15 AM

I've had some lovely times sitting around with droids and squaxx - I need a better paid job so I can attend more of them!

I need to get myself some more free time, for the same reason. As far as I know, I've only met three boarders in person : Johnnystress, Richmond Clements and, er, Tharg the Mighty (so maybe I can say I've met Cyber-Matt too).  Johnny, it turned out, lived a few minutes' walk from my gaff at the time, and we had loads of fun collaborating on our Advent Calendar competition.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Well, I live and work on a small campsite, so if any boarders with campers, caravans or tents fancy a weekend Squaxxstock kind of thing, I reckon I might have enough pull with the boss to get us a good rate. I might even be able to attract a droid or two - and you can have a look at the infamous Sharkshed...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]