Main Menu

Advice please on something to read

Started by Martin Jameson, 08 February, 2006, 01:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Jameson

Been filling my spare time recently reading some graphic novels that I have never (for some reason) got round to reading before - such as Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns and Losers 1 - 4.
Anybody got any recommendations for something (old or new) that should read next?
Nothing from 2000ad - I've read most of that and I'm trying, for once, to catch up with other stuff.
Thank's!

judge dreddd

check the library ? loads of stuff and cheap :)

Richmond Clements

Is it just Gns you're interested in?

If so: From Hell, We3, The Originals, any Morrison JLA.

If not: Ilium by Dan Simmons. I'm halfway through the sequel, Olympos, and it's mindblowing.

Devons Daddy

the sandman by neil gaiman.

utterly brillant. and the entire 100 bullets all outstanding.
top ten books I&II alan moore shows the world why he is a genius/madman.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Martin Jameson

"Is it just Gns you're interested in?"

It is really. I don't get much time to collect an ongoing series so I would rather get something in collected form or as a book.

will check out Ilium thanks rac.

Mike Carroll

If you're not just into comics and graphic novels, you could do far worse than [plug] my new book The Quantum Prophecy! [/plug]

It's currently garnering lots of very positive reviews all over the place!

Mike

Link: http://www.quantumprophecy.com" target="_blank">The Quantum Prophecy

radiator

I would throughouly recommend the works of writer warren ellis, in particular Global Frequency, which has a different artist for each of the stand-alone episodes, including former 2000ad contributers steve dillon, glenn fabry, simon bisley as well as some top notch US illustrators.
Also, if you havent read it, Transmetropolitan.
Also The Authority, a superhero team book, the first two volumes of which are mindblowing, but be warned - the quality of the series drops exponetially in later volumes.
Finally, check out Grant Morrison's 'New Xmen' tps 1-7. Wonderful stuff, and is the only Marvel material i have ever got into. It somehow manages to be accesable to new readers, and also ends with a satisfying conclusion.

radiator

Heh, reading that back has made me realise just how much of my collection is made up of work by ex-2000ad creators.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Second Transmetropolitan.

Also: Blade Of The Immortal (Reads like Highlander meets Lone Wolf and Cub without the siliness of the two).

Lazarus Churchyard

Tank Girl (avoid Apocalypse like the plaugue).

G.T.O

Appleseed

petemaskreplica

You should pick up one (or more) of Fantagraphics' reprint volumes of Krazy Kat, it's a very wonderful,  special and original strip.

Another one I read recently which is worth a look is Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical tale of her childhood in revolutionary Iran.

And if you haven't read any Will Eisner, you ought to. A Contract With God is as good a book as any to start with.

Link: http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/big-dog" target="_blank">Big Dog's Kennel

Martin Jameson

Well, thank's for all that - plenty to be going on with.
Funny really, all these years been reading 2000ad and Meg never took much time to read other stuff - feel a bit silly asking now but I have by the sounds of it missed some great reading!
oh well, a newbie again :)

Proudhuff

and if your looking for a 2000ad style text book read one of the best is Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon books.
Huff the bookish
DDT did a job on me

ming

...and as Top 10 hasn't had a mention yet, I'll recommend that.  And Tom Strong, Scarlet Traces and V for Vendetta.

Satanist

MAUS, please please read MAUS. Its one of the best.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dark Jimbo

...and as Top 10 hasn't had a mention yet, I'll recommend that

Ming - look at the bottom of Devons Daddy's post!

And if you haven't already, Lightsurfer, you MUST read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. In fact, any Alan Moore whatsoever I heartily recommend.
@jamesfeistdraws