Main Menu

2000 AD ART STARS WINTER 2018 - ROGUE TROOPER

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 07 October, 2018, 06:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

A very well deserved one as well. Just superb.

SIP

Congratulations to Evan, it's an absolutely fantastic picture and deserved the win.

Okay, regarding the competition......I am really confused by its purpose and imagine that I'm probably not the only one.

Would this be Evan Shipard, acclaimed long time professional movie concept artist for such films as Mad Max Fury Road and Alien Covenant?

Guess I had taken the competition as sort of an aspirational endeavour for amateurs to try and get published, but it does seem that your casual amateur entry might be fairly pointless when stacked up against industry veterans?

I think if you are taking entries from those in games development, films etc, it is such an overlap that it seems a little churlish to not let other artists who have done professional comic art in the past but maybe aren't currently working in the field have a go as well.

Anyway, not a complaint or a moan, just an observation and perhaps a request for some clarity as to who this is actually pitched at (assuming it's anyone who hasn't specifically worked as a comic artist?).

Steve Green

Honestly, I don't know...

I've considered entering, but I do 3D as a profession and also promo stuff for Planet Replicas, as well as having photos used for reference for actual covers - so whether that disqualifies me or not, I couldn't say...

It just seems an odd beast as a compo now.

Steve Green

*pines for glory days of Sir Peter Wells Chopper entry*

james newell

Well done Evan! Brilliant entry, would love to see him doing a Rogue strip for a special maybe?

Personally, I think the rule regarding comic pro's should be dropped to encourage as many interested creative people as possible to enter!

james newell

SIP

My thoughts are, surely professionals such as Evan can submit for this kind of work directly? Maybe I'm being naive.

I thought the competition was for amateur hopefuls not professional artists. Wouldn't this just be a professionals submission process then?

I was confused after the first competition closed, I'm more confused now, but I feel that on the evidence of the first two competitions that maybe the competition isn't for amateurs like myself, so I'll leave it to others going forward.

Steve Green

I think the problem is there isn't much distinction between a pro at concept art and a pro at a comic poster with regards to skills/content.

If it were sequential art, then there is more of different skill set.

Rogue Judge

Congrats to the winner! Second place winner Dan Chase is fantastic as well - Tharg had a difficult choice!

I'm as amateur as it gets and have really enjoyed entering the contests. It gives me a purpose to draw, which is great.

Honestly, one of my favorite things about the contest is seeing the art flow in at (almost) a daily rate, what a treat!

From the article: "The theme for the next competition will be John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra's 'Strontium Dog'.

Looking forward to Next comp!

Bad City Blue

It says in the rules that no professional artists are allowed. Evan is a professional digital Matte artist/matte painter. As a non artist I don't know if this should rule him out.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1368021/?fbclid=IwAR0bNWLWonPr65Bci36eXER7JfAjHshNp4yms9LXyY1CPkaBAfXRnI80CmE

I love the picture, just confused
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bad City Blue

It seems I misread, it's only if they've worked in the comics industry!

Go Evan!
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 20 February, 2019, 11:25:25 AM
It says in the rules that no professional artists are allowed.

It doesn't say that. It says that professional comic artists aren't allowed:

QuoteEntries will not be considered from professional artists currently or having previously worked in the comic book industry, as adjudicated by 2000 AD.

EDIT: I see you've spotted that now! My apologies. I'm not deleting this post because I think the bit below is still relevant...

If we disallow illustrators and concept artists, do we also disallow graphic designers? Bear in mind that a professional artist is far less likely to do what is essentially spec work than a fan — this is their livelihood, so they'll be approaching this very much as a fan if they're doing work with no guarantee of getting paid for it.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.