Main Menu

The Darkness - Why?

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 24 November, 2004, 06:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Isn't it Paul Daniels who says "...and that's magic"?  I think Blaine just mumbles semi-coherently for a while and pretends to be Jesus before sloping off to do coke off the recumbent body of a stripper and bonking Leonardo di Caprio.

Oddboy

Heh.. yeah. I just love imagining David Blaine adopting Paul Daniels' mannerisms.

But Blaine does appear to take his 'miracles' deadly seriously, which is what makes him such a good showman. His shows would be just rubbish if he said "Fools! Imbeciles! It's all done with mirrors! and actors! BWA HA HA I'm off to spend all your money on me me me!"
Better set your phaser to stun.

Richmond Clements

Listen to what Blaine is saying. At the begining of nearly every one of the shows he's done, he states that what he's doing is illusion.

Tanky

I saw the Darkness ages ago (before they were huge --:p !)and they were brilliant. In fact if ktv et al are still showing the video for 'get your hands off...' i'm in it somewhere.
However, on the tour after that(this time in a venue with 3x the capacity) i got the dubious honor of doing the local zine interview and can safely say i have never met such a bunch of arrogant wankers. (except the not-justin guitarist. v nice guy)
Good band though.
Anyways, i think the issue here is that although the Darkness have enjoyed prety much constant media saturation since the release of Permission To Land, they haven't released anything new in a year. That's why we're at the 'knock em down' stage. We're bored with it. Granted, following up such a successful debut album is one of the toughest jobs in rock, but it might be a different story when there's some new tunes out.

Can any of you journos get me a real job in music journalism now please?!

Cheers! xTGx

longmanshort

Can any of you journos get me a real job in music journalism now please?!

No such thing as music 'journalism', luv. Maybe 'pandering to music labels while trying to score a freebie so you can get laid' writing, but not journalism ... ;oP
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Bico

...Which is why it's impressive.  If you could just wave your hands and make stuff happen, what would be so great about that?  There's no effort if it was *really* magic.  Making you BELIEVE it is, even if just for a moment, is a fantastic talent.
Pity Blaine is such a twat.

'Heavy Metal in it's old style died (or evolved) into Grunge, Nu Metal etc '

EH?  You mean DEVOLVED, surely?  And once they'd simplified the formulae for metal-lite, surprise surprise, here come our very first metal boy-bands.  O-Town, Alien Ant Farm and Good Charlotte.  Oh f*cking joy.  Music's really evolved there, hasn't it?
Sorry for being sarky, LMS.  However, say what you want about The Darkness - not everyone could *be* the Darkness.

DavidXBrunt

The very definition of living life dangerously? Tell a tired and emotional J-Bo that you like 'The Darkness'.

The point is a good one, why them? If they were going to do a pop act then they could have done a lot worse than think on that it's 20 years since the Housemartins came to prominence and the Beautiful Souths latest album is out now. Paul Heaton would have been a much more interesting and deserving subject.

Wils

Although people are bound to disagree, IMO, Nu Metal was pilfered from tracks from *one* album...

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00002DE1N.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">

Bolt-01

I like the Darkness, musically. And the bass player makes me laugh every time I see him (Comedy name too)

I LOVE Faith no more though. Angel Dust is one of my top fave albums ever and their cover of the theme to midnight cowboy is one of my funeral songs.

Bolt-01

Slippery PD

Although people are bound to disagree, IMO, Nu Metal was pilfered from tracks from *one* album...

I wouldnt say one album or maybe one band but definatley all FNM albums are precursors to NU Metal.....

However, pop question.  My daughter is starting to get into nu metal instead of Pop and RnB.  Should I discourage her on the account that its mostly pap or should I encourage as its much better than pop/rnb?  

On the Darkness, they remind me of everything I hated about metal, that bands like FNM changed.  So yeah I hate them.  But I doubt theyll be able to string it out any more than 3 albums.  Oasis couldnt .......

Slips

Wils

I don't know, though. All these Nu Metal bands cite FNM as an influence, but listening to the tracks 'Cuckoo for Caca' and 'Ugly in the Morning' from King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime, does sound like they've just thought "Yeah! That rawks, dude! Let base our whole sound on THESE TWO TRACKS!" Or something. ;)

Megadeth

Let her get into nu metal as it is far better than pop/rnb but the best thing to do is have file sharing software for sampling bands who aren't the poster boys of nu metal and at every possible moment encourage her to listen to Faith No More.

Richmond Clements

I like FNM too, but what they where doing had also been done before too, I mean, Anthrax blazed the rap/metal crossover trail 10 years before FNM and their ilk did.

therev

LMS fair enuff I stand corrected!
;-)

But I still think your wrong about "..any 'revival' of a musical style doesn't actually add anything to that style, it merely resurrects that style and repeats elements of it in a slightly different order"! Beg to differ?

dweezil2

Couldn't agree more with Wils, on his FNM comments. You only have to listen to derivertive (thats polite for plagerist) manafactured acts such as Linkin Park, to appreciate how much FNM "informed" Nu Metal; or what ever the latest marketing term is used for the genre this week.
However, it's all a bit pointless critising peoples musical tastes, in the long run. It's all subjective, ect, ect. My advice, regarding the Darkness, is to enjoy them while you can. Because, in a years time, no-one will remember them.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo