Main Menu

Dr Who DVD

Started by OldOne, 14 August, 2003, 04:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldOne

Howdy Folks, advice needed

For the first time in an age I'll be having some spare cash this week, and I fancy buying myself a treat. Been inspired by the 'Young Dr Who' thread, and reckon I'll track down Dr Who on DVD, since I haven't seen any since I was a kid and I fancy wallowing in a bit of nostalgia.

Only problem is

a) I don't know what's available, and

b) I have no idea which ones are good anyway (my critical faculties not being all that sharp when I was a nipper)

Anyone got any faves I should keep an eye out for?

Cheers,

Ad

Link: http://www.adamtwycross.co.uk" target="_blank">adamtwycross.co.uk

paulvonscott

Aha.  I'm hoping to swap some of my Who DVD's for, well, other dvd's. I know someone elkse is collecting them, so really I can borrow them any time and don't need 'em.  I've given up on getting them really.  So remmber folks if you have some dvd's to swap, lemme know.

I have... The McGann movie (not a recommend really), five doctors (ok), Tomb of the Cybermen (good if you like older troughton stuff, which I do), Robots of Death (one of my fave tom baker ones), spearhead from sapce (pertwee, autons, ok), Caves of Androxani (Davidson, pretty good), Vengence on Varos (C.Baker, ok), Rembemberence of the daleks (McCoy, okay if you can stand McCoy).

Not a swap pitch really, just what I think of them.

Of the ones I don't have, Talons of Weing Chang and Seeds of Time are pretty cool if you ask me!

petemaskreplica

I've been considering the very same thing, and top of my list are Talons of Weing Chang and Dalek Invasion of Earth (the proper Hartnell telly one of course, rather than the film with Bernard Cribbins in it. Bernard Cribbins, for god's sake!)

paulvonscott

I like Dalek Invasion of earth too, should have mentioned that.

But I won't have Bernard knocked, oh no, his was the DEFINITIVE The Hobbit.

SmallBlueThing

There's loads out on DVD now. The rubbish Peter Davison cybermen one, Earthshock, is out next week or so I think.

Best ones are Talons of Weng-Chiang and Dalek Invasion of Earth, both story-wise and dvd-wise.

But Talons gets first place by a tiny margin, for being just so damn good.

Worst is The Five Doctors- no extras, no nothing, and a stupid runaround.

Buy 'em cheap if you can!

(or spend your money on Robin of Sherwood instead.)

Steev

Trough

>a) I don't know what's available

OK, deep breath...

Hartnell - The Aztecs, The Dalek Invasion Of Earth

Troughton - The Tomb Of The Cybermen, The Seeds Of Death

Pertwee - Spearhead From Space, Carnival Of Monsters, (The Three Doctors later this year)

Tom Baker - The Ark In Space, The Robots Of Death, The Talons Of Weng Chiang (Pyramids Of Mars sometime next year) (Also available but Region 1 only: The Ribos Operation, The Pirate Planet, The Stones Of Blood, The Androids Of Tara, The Power Of Kroll, The Armageddon Factor - also available as The Key To Time boxed set)

Davison - The Five Doctors, Remembrance Of The Daleks, The Caves Of Androzani (Earthshock sometime this month)

Colin Baker - Vengeance On Varos (The Two Doctors sometime later this year)

McCoy - Remembrance Of The Daleks (The Curse Of Fenric sometime later this year)

McGann - The TV Movie

(Anyone got any faves I should keep an eye out for?

My personal recommendations would be:

Dalek Invasion Of Earth
The Tomb Of The Cybermen
The Ark In Space
Pyramids Of Mars (whenever it appears)
The Robots Of Death
The Talons Of Weng Chiang
The Caves Of Androzani

I'd add Remembrance Of The Daleks, but they used the wrong print for the DVD (missing SFX etc)!

Trough, donning an anorak

Trough

Davison - The Five Doctors, Remembrance Of The Daleks, The Caves Of Androzani (Earthshock sometime this month)

Oh for goodness sake.  I meant Resurrection Of The Daleks.

All those stupid "R" words.  I was waiting for Rhodedenron Of The Daleks to be next.

paulvonscott

Ribena of the Daleks?

'THE DOCTOR HAS STOLEN OUR FRUITY DRINK!'

'EXTERMINATE'

'EXTERMINATE'

'ETCETERA'

Lobo Baggins

++Ribena of the Daleks?++

Careful lad, the agents of Terry Nation are everywhere and you owe them ten bob already just for mentioning the Outerspace Robot People from TV's Doctor Who TM!

Anyway, it was nowhere near as good as 'Um-Bongo of the Cybermen'.

'Leader - analysis shows the liquid contains gwava, passion fruit and mango!'

'Excellent!'
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

paulvonscott

Lobo Baggins

Ice Warriors melt when exposed to Sunny Delight.

Mk13

And obviously Cybermen drink Capri-Sun and recycle the empty packets into costumes.

Lobo Baggins

Sontarans exist on nothing but Vimto, and are so dead hard that they are not even put off when they realise that it's an anagram of 'vomit'.

paulvonscott

While Kia-ora is too orangey for Cryons...

Lobo Baggins

Ogrons refuse to drink Orangina because it has bits in it. Unless they're allowed to have a Wagon Wheel afterwards to take the taste away.