Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Saw Rio Bravo this morning I found it to be a very enjoyable cowboy movie. Not sure if there's that much of a story (a gang tries to bust out a guy from jail a couple of times --didn't need to be more than that), but I loved drinking my coffee and spend some time with it's characters. John Wayne and Angie Dickinsons' especially.

I've mostly watched Leone westerns (with the occasional Hateful 8, El Topo and such) but I feel I should give a couple more of them a try. Another by Howard Hawks, or perhaps a Corbucci? :)

Trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPO12ZzGS84

Greg M.

Quote from: Apestrife on 03 May, 2020, 04:34:12 PM
Saw Rio Bravo this morning I found it to be a very enjoyable cowboy movie. Not sure if there's that much of a story (a gang tries to bust out a guy from jail a couple of times --didn't need to be more than that), but I loved drinking my coffee and spend some time with it's characters. John Wayne and Angie Dickinsons' especially.

It's a film that unites John Carpenter and Quentin Tarantino in admiration. 'Assault on Precinct 13' in particular is 50% Rio Bravo, 50% Night of the Living Dead.

I've mostly watched Leone westerns (with the occasional Hateful 8, El Topo and such) but I feel I should give a couple more of them a try. Another by Howard Hawks, or perhaps a Corbucci? :)

If it's Corbucci, you can't go wrong with Django or The Great Silence.

TordelBack

Tron Legacy. Considerable improvement on the original, in terms of plot, performances, effects and designs. Was oddly bothered that Tron himself never came out [spoiler]from behind his new persona[/spoiler]. Was de-ageing Boxleitner a budgetary step too far?  It seems like it'd be less of a job than the halfway successful work on Bridges.

JamesC

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

I really enjoyed this. The stand out scene for me was when Brad visits the commune. I was on the edge of my seat.
To be honest, I'm not sure the film is that successful in a completely stand alone sense. It only really works if you know a bit about the Tate murders and Hollywood of that era.
If you weren't aware of any of that I'm not sure what you'd make of any of the Margot Robbie scenes - and the ending only really works if you know what really happened.

A real experience to sit and watch though.

Robin Low

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 May, 2020, 06:07:56 PM
Tron Legacy. Considerable improvement on the original, in terms of plot, performances, effects and designs. Was oddly bothered that Tron himself never came out [spoiler]from behind his new persona[/spoiler]. Was de-ageing Boxleitner a budgetary step too far?  It seems like it'd be less of a job than the halfway successful work on Bridges.

Truly fantastic soundtrack, too. Can't say I'm a massive Daft Punk fan normally, but this was a great bit of work.

Regards,

Robin

TordelBack

Quote from: Robin Low on 03 May, 2020, 08:57:12 PM
Truly fantastic soundtrack, too. Can't say I'm a massive Daft Punk fan normally, but this was a great bit of work.

It's absolutely great - and they're in it too!

Jim_Campbell

Tron Legacy. Considerable improvement on the original, in terms of plot, performances, effects and designs.

I like it a lot. I even quite like the uncanny valley quality of CLU in the computer world — the creepy not-quite-rightness of it, intentional or not, actually works in the story's favour. I'm sorry it didn't do better at the box office, because I'd have happily seen more.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Radbacker

Another vote for Tron 2, one of my favourite belated sequels.  Another upvote for the soundtrack too, you can actually watch the movie with the soundtrack only and still get a pretty good gist of what's happening especially if you are familiar with the first one.
Been on a bit of an Asian movie kick at the moment as SBS have been playing a nice collection this month, quite a varied collection such a Journey to the West 2, big budget and bombastic, League of Gods another big budget CGI fest but probably didn't enjoy it as much as Journey not being familiar with the story but the two standouts for me were The Mermaid from Stephen Chow (Kungfu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer) which is very slapstick and bonkers but lots of fun and The Villainess which is top stuff.  Anyone in Oz can watch these for free on SBS on Demand

CU Radbacker   

wedgeski

I love the original Tron and didn't think the sequel was up to much -- maybe I'll give it another go.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: wedgeski on 04 May, 2020, 09:21:32 AM
I love the original Tron and didn't think the sequel was up to much -- maybe I'll give it another go.

I think the problem with Tron: Legacy is that a lot of people didn't think it was as good as the version of the original movie they have in their heads. However, the version in their heads is a lot better than the actual movie which, a handful of memorable and genuinely visually ground-breaking scenes aside, is actually pretty sluggish and a bit dull.*

*IMO, YMMV, etc.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 May, 2020, 11:41:16 PM
Tron Legacy. Considerable improvement on the original, in terms of plot, performances, effects and designs.

I like it a lot. I even quite like the uncanny valley quality of CLU in the computer world — the creepy not-quite-rightness of it, intentional or not, actually works in the story's favour. I'm sorry it didn't do better at the box office, because I'd have happily seen more.

It did well enough that they did a TV series (which I've not seen so can't comment upon).

sheridan

Last film seen: Grabbers - 2012 British/Irish sci-fi horror comedy starring one or two people you'll recognise from other places.

'tis good.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: sheridan on 04 May, 2020, 10:03:55 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 May, 2020, 11:41:16 PM

It did well enough that they did a TV series (which I've not seen so can't comment upon).

The cartoon was already in development and deals for cast and crew were in place at the time the film was released. It was promptly cancelled after its first season due to lack of viewers.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/71470-tron-uprising-coming-to-disney-xd-in-2012

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 May, 2020, 09:30:04 AM
I think the problem with Tron: Legacy is that a lot of people didn't think it was as good as the version of the original movie they have in their heads. However, the version in their heads is a lot better than the actual movie which, a handful of memorable and genuinely visually ground-breaking scenes aside, is actually pretty sluggish and a bit dull

Very much agree. There are some really inspiring sequences in Tron, from an age where nothing comparable existed in any arcade (Battlezone coming closest - the unforgettable Star Wars cabinet was still a year or more away), and it was certainly my dream to recreate/play the disc game, the tanks and recognisers, and most of all the light cycles. But the lesson of my recent re-watch is thst these make up a depressingly small amount of the movie compared  to my memories of same, and the rest is nothing to write home about.

Legacy OTOH has way more of that good stuff, and more spectacle besides, and it's a more engaging storyline as well.

The cartoon is on Disney+, and I confess to being tempted.

MacabreMagpie

'Errementari' on Netflix, well worth a punt!

Lots of great performances in this one and it seemed like the dub isn't that bad either (though I watched it subtitled in the original language). I was a little surprised by how it seemingly [spoiler]turned into a comedy halfway through after a very dark start[/spoiler] and it goes places I wouldn't have anticipated but I found it very enjoyable. Great visual effects, too.