Main Menu

South African 200AD Fan

Started by Skabenga, 08 December, 2009, 07:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Skabenga on 09 December, 2009, 09:17:35 AM
I wish I had the art skills to do a 2000AD strip of the Deep South, a forgotten culture far south of the Radland's and the muties :)

Errr, in that case I wouldn't look at the map of Dredd's world too closely... South Africa apparently doesn't come out of the Atomic Wars too well.  The Azanian Archipelago, so to speak.  Mind you, at least you're not a theme park...

Mike Gloady

Locusts,

I know jack all about football (and am pleased about this, enough music and comics trivia filling my brain, no space for team rivalries and statistics) but I DO know that the World Cup is national teams, not local clubs - so there's only ONE team from England.

You might also consider as well as England - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland.  I tend to idly support all the home teams - if they're from the British Isles, they're worthy of my support.  Oh wait, Eire didn't qualify did they?  What about Wales, NI & Scotland?  Anyone know?

(Or did you just make the schoolboy North American error of using "England" and "Britain" as interchangable?  Be honest....  You're among friends)
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 09 December, 2009, 09:25:36 AM
(Or did you just make the schoolboy North American English error of using "England" and "Britain" as interchangable?

Just a little tweak, Mr. G.  See, Locusts is becoming acculturated.  Or habituated. Or whatever.

locustsofdeath!

I'm not sure if it's a common mistake for Americans to use "England" and "Britain" when referring to the UK, because as I lived six years in Scotland when I was a lad, it's always been made clear that they are not the same!

I meant I think I should pick a local club. In other words, I want to wear a cool football jersey...! I lean towards an Irish team since my family is Irish.

Thanks for the info Mike.

Skabenga

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 December, 2009, 09:23:43 AM
Quote from: Skabenga on 09 December, 2009, 09:17:35 AM
I wish I had the art skills to do a 2000AD strip of the Deep South, a forgotten culture far south of the Radland's and the muties :)

Errr, in that case I wouldn't look at the map of Dredd's world too closely... South Africa apparently doesn't come out of the Atomic Wars too well.  The Azanian Archipelago, so to speak.  Mind you, at least you're not a theme park...

Bugger, was hoping there was some small pocket of isolation with a thriving culture of rugby, beer and surfing, hehe.
Kiss my Axe!

Mike Gloady

I've never used them as interchangable and I'm English (which means nothing to me) AND British (which does).  

Folks I know on the web know only that I'm from Britain - I never bother specifying which bit.  You'll be surprised how often they call me "English" without any evidence and how often I come across comments like "Cardiff/EdinBO-ROW in ENGLAND".  

Maybe it's just common in my experience.  Pisses me off anyway.  
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Maybe there is a tendency to assume "English" when a fellow says "British". In my experience, I've never met someone who is English - or Scottish or Welsh or Irish - claim to be "British". It's always been, "from England" or Scotland or wherever.

locustsofdeath!

Double post, sorry.

I meant to say that in the States, especially on the East Coast, people are usually from their region first and their country second. Same goes with the cities.

For instance, I'm from Philadelphia - so I'm a Philadelphian above all. Then I'm a Pennsylvanian and then an American.

mistersaxon

Hi Skabenga!
The difference is that Britain is Great whereas the Kingdom is  merely United (*snort*). There's some geographical differences too - nothing important though :Þ

I appear to be Saxon, pretty much as far back as we have researched. That's a coincidence because I had no idea when I picked this nickname way back on my first board (Cix - still around and twitching gently) in 1995. Back then I had secretly believed I was Russian and feared I would prove to be French. . .
No - I can't commit to a sig yet. I hardly know you!

Skabenga

Quote from: mistersaxon on 09 December, 2009, 09:50:31 AM
Hi Skabenga!
The difference is that Britain is Great whereas the Kingdom is  merely United (*snort*). There's some geographical differences too - nothing important though :Þ

I appear to be Saxon, pretty much as far back as we have researched. That's a coincidence because I had no idea when I picked this nickname way back on my first board (Cix - still around and twitching gently) in 1995. Back then I had secretly believed I was Russian and feared I would prove to be French. . .

I'm part South African (irrelevant to a degree as I'm white and apparently not African), part Scottish, part English and part Norwegian...so I guess that makes me a Saxon too, or in my case an Afro Saxon :)
Kiss my Axe!

mistersaxon

Quote from: Skabenga on 09 December, 2009, 09:56:59 AM
I'm part South African (irrelevant to a degree as I'm white and apparently not African), part Scottish, part English and part Norwegian...so I guess that makes me a Saxon too, or in my case an Afro Saxon :)

Then you belong to the race who invented the words ****, *****, ***** and ****. You can be very proud of such a heritage :)

Also don't forget the Celt when claiming your ancestry! I have a Celt deficiency myself. . .

Skabenga

Lol Mistersaxon, yeah I think I got a bit of the Celt and Pict in there too, some kind of Saxon mongrel, I went to see my clan castle in 2002 on the Isle of Skye, Dunvegan, Clan Macleod, was quite an eye opener too see where I come from versus where I live today.
Kiss my Axe!

mistersaxon

Any relation to Connor MacLeod? I heard there can be only one!

vzzbux

Locust's just pick the nearest football team from where you live.
I support Leicester City but we are going through the mill at the moment. Got stuffed 5:1 on Saturday and 3:0 last night.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

locustsofdeath!

I'm in Ely, near Cambridge...so who would I cheer for? I'll look up a schedule to watch them and become a fan!