Main Menu

Forum Etiquette

Started by Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty), 21 February, 2012, 06:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

QuoteYesterday I employed the ignore function for the first time ever. And it wasn't anything to do with swearing.

I didn't know we still had an ignore function - how do you activate it?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

I'm perfectly happy to swear in front of real children as well as imaginary internet ones so you can prise my corva from my cold, dead hand.

The swearing definitely wasn't my problem with the posts in question.
We never really die.

Colin Zeal

I haven't noticed a problem with swearing on here but maybe I'm not looking in the right places. I've never seen the point in swearing when typing as it's just not needed. Swearing while talking is one thing as comments can slip out unguarded, but when you're taking the time to type I can't see why that would happen.

Proudhuff

had to use the ignore for the first time in ages, sigh.
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

What we need is a grawlixer. 

Danbo

I love swearing,just not in front of Grannies or little kids.

In future I will  use a Swearing warning like this

SWEARING WARNING.

Fartywanks.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Gonk

coming at a cinema near you soon

Spaceghost

I've modified my signature to include a disclaimer.

Buggercunting fuckbiscuit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Richmond Clements

I think we can stop this now.

Bat King

Do I detect some pride in swearing here and there?

I swear at times, but it bugs me when people don't know any adjectives or adverbs.

I don't get why some enjoy swearing either... shock factor? Bravado? Sheer bloody mindedness?

You'll note my use of swearing there, a stock phrase understood by all. Relatively mild among adults, almost to the point of not being swearing in context.

At work, where swearing is technically against the rules, I often mock-swear.  Indeed the stronger the mock-swear 'Oh blinky blimey look what occurred' the more my colleagues know I'm actually peeved.  Of course the odd swear word pops out, they do that the cheeky blighters.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

dracula1

f :-X :-X :-Xing b :o :o :o :o :oks! Decipher that Modorator! ;-)

Richmond Clements

Anyone who knows me knows that I swear a LOT.
But I find it a bit tedious when people do it merely to shock.
And I would say that the argument that 'it's your problem if you're offended' is absolute nonsense. Unless of course you have no concept of respect or common good manners, of course. And the next time someone calls your mother or wife a c**t, remember that it's your problem if you find it offensive.

Tiplodocus

QuoteI don't think that's fair. Do you honestly believe that when speaking/typing, you should be constantly on guard about whether someone might possibly be offended by what you say?

Nobody would ever bloody say anything. I don't have a problem with creative, funny swearing. If other people are offended by anything I say, that's their problem, not mine. Surely it can't be any other way?

In answer to the questions:
Yes, you need to have consideration for the other people around you. 

Yes, I think it can be another way. You have to take responsibility for the consequences of your actions rather than shirk it and say "Well it's not my fault".  I'm reminded of the stink that everybody rightly made about Gordon Brown's dreadful apology to that woman who had lost a son and he got his name wrong. I think he wrote something utterly weasly like "I apologise if you took offence at what I said." rather than a straightforward "I'm sorry, I caused offence. I was insensitive".

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Gonk

This old tosser was so fascinated by them he compiled one of the first ever dictionarys of slang and swear words in 1785. Have a butchers at this wankers : Francis Grose "Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue"

http://www.bl.uk/learning/langlit/dic/grose/vulgar1785.html
coming at a cinema near you soon