Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

As I understand it, the Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the Saucer People, and under the supervision of the Reverse Vampires, turn out to be no worse than Justice Dept itself. Or am I thinking of another Anderson story?

Skullmo

Quote from: Super Mario on 24 March, 2015, 09:26:43 AM
I'm stupid, can someone explain the endings to Shamballa and Satan for me?!

The ending is that Anderson saves the world for destruction and no one notices as she is just that crazy PSI.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Mardroid

Quote from: Super Mario on 24 March, 2015, 09:26:43 AM
I'm stupid, can someone explain the endings to Shamballa and Satan for me?!

The way I understand it, [spoiler]when she read his mind earlier she found that he actually felt guilty for his deeds although I suspect he suppressed it. The idea being that no living sentient being could do that amount of evil and not get a pang of conscience. I think she put a psychic suggestion in his rocky head that expanded that guilt.

Not too sure why that would physically destroy him. Possibly it's because evil had become so central to his being over millions of years to challenge it completely undid him. The devil* the very progenitor of evil feeling guilty? He just couldn't take it.

The resolution smacked a bit of something from a new Doctor Who tale, and [/spoiler] I'm not sure of it but I quite liked the story. And the art was amazing....

*At least [spoiler]he believes he is the devil.[/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Not spotted the latest in any Edinbra shops...
DDT did a job on me

Anzati

Anyone think that this series is likely to be extended similar to how the Marvel one has?

I've just been looking at the numbering for the Marvel series and noticed that they extended the spine image and began numbering issues with 'Classic XXXIV' etc. I don't collect the Marvel series, but was the spine image extended to the right or left?

The other day someone on the Mega Collection Facebook page pointed out that the spine image that we have been shown comes to a definitive end on the right (Vol. 80), but on the left (Vol. 1) the image is cut off in a similar way to the volumes between. This struck me as a little odd, but I'd assumed that if the series was to be extended there would be a new spine image...guess I was wrong and now I'm curious.

I'm sure it'll be a very long time before we have any indication of plans like this, but I wondered what everyone else's thoughts on this were. What do you think it will be (other classic 2000AD characters is my guess)? Do you think that this is a good idea or bad (I like the idea of a parallel series, but not sure I like being forced into it in the same way that the Marvel lot have)?

Skullmo

I would argue that you are not forced into it as long as you have free will

Anzati

OK we'll call it 'given an ultimatum' then; collect this new extension for an extra £600 or fail to complete the collection you signed up for and have already spent over £500 on :P

TordelBack

Quote from: Skullmo on 25 March, 2015, 02:32:38 PM
I would argue that you are not forced into it as long as you have free will

Truly thou art a loving god.

J.Smith

It's too early to tell if that'll be the case surely, because we don't know how much of Dredd's world this will manage to cover in its eighty volumes.

A shorter collection of other 2000AD strips is a possibility if this keeps up I guess, sure, but wouldn't that have to be completely separate? Unlike the Marvel series, which isn't focused on a particular character or era as far as I can tell, they couldn't very well expand this collection out of the blue with non-Dredd-world material when it's clearly called The Judge Dredd Mega Collection, you know? Maybe they could wiggle around that by explaining that this theoretical book of 2000AD material that suddenly lands on our doorsteps is a free starter in their new line if we were interested but the answer to that, if you're not interested, is to return it and make it clear you only want the Dredd series.

So I'll just second what Skullmo said: it's completely up to you if you want to continue or not should such a thing happen. Since this launched I've only heard good things about Hachette's customer service, so I can't see them screwing people around by forcing a second collection upon them like an old thread about the Marvel expansion I read once seemed to imply.

TordelBack

I wonder does the unfinished left hand side of the spine image allow for a Vol 0 Index?

Anzati

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 05:09:32 PM
I wonder does the unfinished left hand side of the spine image allow for a Vol 0 Index?

Now that's something that I'd be VERY happy about...

Tjm86

Quote from: Anzati on 25 March, 2015, 05:11:49 PM
Quote from: Tordelback on 25 March, 2015, 05:09:32 PM

Now that's something that I'd be VERY happy about...

Of course this assumes that they only use integers.  If we include the set of complex numbers as well then we could have images extending above and below the current ones.  I would have thought that they would avoid rational and irrational numbers on the ground that it would be tricky to fit images in between those that we already have.

Albion

Quote from: Anzati on 25 March, 2015, 02:24:23 PM
I've just been looking at the numbering for the Marvel series and noticed that they extended the spine image and began numbering issues with 'Classic XXXIV' etc. I don't collect the Marvel series, but was the spine image extended to the right or left?

It was extended to the right.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Skullmo

The spine probably does not finish in case they come to the last book and the spine doesn't fit they can just tag a bit on

Anzati

The JD collection image appears to have an end at vol. 80, so the extra to fit doesn't work there. Its to the left of vo. 1 that it appears to be cut off.

Looks like the Marvel collection was extended to the right and left after the series was extended from 60 sequentially numbered volumes to 120. 20 volumes to the right for 80 volumes and 40 volumes to the left using roman numerals for the classics. After the extension the marvel spine image appears to have two definite ends.

The Dredd collection was extended from 60 volumes to 80 after the trial and that side does seem to have a definite end on the right, but the left is still cut off. If the series continues to be popular I do think that this indicates where there are plans to extend the series, possibly to 120 volumes like the Marvel one. I'm just very curious as to what this extension would include :)

I've added a little comparison picture of the released spine images below :)