Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Yes, I absolutely loved Picard's near-vetbatim plea to the Admiral. It was well-handled nostalgia mining. While I've never bought the idea that Picard and Data were somehow bessie mates during TNG, there's no doubt that First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis pushed that Kirk/Spock line hard, and it's only right that it continued here.

For me the highlight was Dr Maurice, bringing both news of a canonical MO for the Stargazer and the seeming inevitability of [spoiler]Irumodic Syndrome[/spoiler]. Powerful stuff.

wedgeski

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 February, 2020, 03:21:15 PM
Yes, I absolutely loved Picard's near-vetbatim plea to the Admiral. It was well-handled nostalgia mining. While I've never bought the idea that Picard and Data were somehow bessie mates during TNG, there's no doubt that First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis pushed that Kirk/Spock line hard, and it's only right that it continued here.

For me the highlight was Dr Maurice, bringing both news of a canonical MO for the Stargazer and the seeming inevitability of [spoiler]Irumodic Syndrome[/spoiler]. Powerful stuff.
I think Picard would call any of the bridge crew "dear friends" but when someone sacrifices their life for you, that pushes things up a notch I would wager.

Greg M.

Quote from: wedgeski on 03 February, 2020, 02:53:24 PM
I must also say I'm amused by the definition of "slow" these days.

I bet you love Brink.

von Boom

Gary James

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 03 February, 2020, 12:20:13 PM
No this kind of Basil
http://witterpedia.net/wiki/index.php/Basil_Exposition
Holy hell - Austin Powers is over twenty years old now...  :o
I'm more used to seeing "infodump" used.

I realized that Prime can be paid for with gift cards, so I'm technically not going to be giving Amazon any of my money <em>and</em> I get all the other benefits, so I may as well add this to the list of things I should be watching.

There's something like five years of Doctor Who to catch up on as well. Guess who's not getting any sleep for the next few weeks...

Dandontdare

Quote from: Gary James on 03 February, 2020, 06:15:33 PM
There's something like five years of Doctor Who to catch up on as well. Guess who's not getting any sleep for the next few weeks...

If your Netflix has the same as the UK version, it's all 15 years (since the relaunch)!

I got excited about all the US shows I'd be able to watch on netflix and amazon when I got a VPN - unfortunately they're both wise to that and neither will actually play if you're using one - so I could look but not touch  :(

Gary James

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 February, 2020, 07:53:08 PMIf your Netflix has the same as the UK version, it's all 15 years (since the relaunch)!
My Netflix is the UK version - tho I let it lapse. The entire (modern) series is on iPlayer, but watching on that is a horrible, horrible experience I can't bring myself to endure. They seem to be on Amazon as well, so hopefully the quality is the same as-broadcast.

wedgeski

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 February, 2020, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 03 February, 2020, 02:53:24 PM

I bet you love Brink.
You'd win that bet my friend!

I'll admit that this kind of storytelling does seem a better fit for bingeable TV rather than episodic. But when I think back to the excruciating wait between meta-plot episodes in X-Files, B5, or DS9, Picard's exposition still seems lightning fast. DS9 would have taken an entire season to link the [spoiler]assassins [/spoiler]with the [spoiler]Romulans[/spoiler].

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: wedgeski on 04 February, 2020, 09:38:27 AM

Yeah, I think it's moving a touch too fast, if anything. I get the impression that most people's complaint about the pace amounts to 'Why isn't he in space yet?'
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

FWIW, mine – purely from episode one – was that the show spent quite a long time just meandering about, churning out globs of exposition, and then just didn't do much to move things along. It just felt kind of empty. I mean, it wasn't like an episode of Lucifer in that regard; but I was just thinking "and?" far too much of the time.

Tiplodocus

[spoiler]Engage[/spoiler].

Yay!

Settled into the rhythm of this show now and loving it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

This show has invented a new kind of storytelling: Technobasil.  People just sitting around doing infodumps about made-up cultures or technology.  They shake the camera so you don't get bored, though, which is kind of like storytelling I guess.

Magnetica

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 February, 2020, 10:51:45 PM
This show has invented a new kind of storytelling: Technobasil.  People just sitting around doing infodumps about made-up cultures or technology.  They shake the camera so you don't get bored, though, which is kind of like storytelling I guess.

It makes me feel clever even though I don't understand it. Or why.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

The show is over-written to bejaysus. I know Picard is old but the scenes feel like they were written as if he's never turned on a computer; and it doesn't help the audience much, which I assume, it's trying to do in a very artificial way.