Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

What volumes don't people want? I think the whole thing is damm near flawless. Yes some Slaine might be less than stellar but so much of it is great that I'd indulge what misses.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

IndigoPrime

I've sold off things I have in formats I'm happier with (ABC Warriors), or content with (Robo-Hunter; Rogue). I'm mostly upgrading favourites (Dante; Nemesis; Strontium Dog) or grabbing sets of things I don't yet own in collected form.

As for Slaine, I could easily skip from Horned God to Invasions. As it is, I'll likely sell every post-HG book because I already have the large HCs of Invasions anyway.

Fungus

Quote from: BPP on 09 November, 2018, 08:43:20 PM
What volumes don't people want? I think the whole thing is damm near flawless. Yes some Slaine might be less than stellar but so much of it is great that I'd indulge what misses.
Hm... collections they already have, for one thing?

Quite enjoying the cherry-picking exercise myself. A quick check and it seems I'm batting 16 of 32. Dipping in more than I expected, and that includes the Moore books - I just buckled... :-)

BPP

Quote from: Fungus on 09 November, 2018, 09:26:32 PM
Hm... collections they already have, for one thing?

Quite enjoying the cherry-picking exercise myself. A quick check and it seems I'm batting 16 of 32. Dipping in more than I expected, and that includes the Moore books - I just buckled... :-)

Hm.... like most of us have multiple reprints of 75% of this stuff but for me the hardback nature makes these superior to phonebooks and standard repo. Sure some stuff like the oversized Slaine and ABC Warriors might be 'better' but likely that's a small few things. Repo and completeness does come into it but I'm more likely to sell my phonebooks (or give them away) and keep the hardbacks. Just my view, there is no right answer but if 'stuff we already have' was criteria sales would be slim.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

moogie101

Speaking as a lapsed reader who stopped back in the early nineties so far the only books I haven't really enjoyed are the robohunter books. Everything else has been great.

A great selection of old and new, my only concern is no zenith scheduled for the 80 books which seems a huge oversight.

The Monarch

the lack of john smith is the only thing annoying me

IndigoPrime

Given that you can still get all of Zenith in hardback, I'm not sure it really needs to be in the UC. But, yeah, the lack of John Smith is a major omission. As I've said before, at the very least a Leatherjack/Firekind combo would have been a great inclusion.

Pale fire

Quote from: moogie101 on 10 November, 2018, 05:12:05 AM

Speaking as a lapsed reader who stopped back in the early nineties so far the only books I haven't really enjoyed are the robohunter books. Everything else has been great.

A great selection of old and new, my only concern is no zenith scheduled for the 80 books which seems a huge oversight.

As a completely new reader to it all, I've been quite fascinated by the reviews in this forum of stuff as it comes and goes. I bought the first 20 odd volumes at the local newsagent until they stopped stocking it, and after struggling to find anywhere else that had it in the city I took out a subscription....

Much like the standard stories this has proved to be far from simple. But keeping things calm and polite (via Facebook and email) seems to have resolved all the issues (at the moment). I suspect that hachette's systems are crocked as it looks like even simple amendments to a subscription are wildly complicated at their end. Aaaaanyway. The only shame of it is that I'm now around a month or two behind, so just finishing up Sinister dexter and waiting to unwrap the next Srontium dog.

For the most part I'd say the 'classic' stories are pulpy fun, but it's the newer stuff that has kept me around.

I'm enjoying sindex, though it's quite uneven. Dante, Kingdom, shakara have all been particular highlights.

I think I enjoy early stront more than the recent ones, nemesis is one of my least favourites. Its distinctive and memorable certainly, but some bits feel a bit of a slog.

In all, I like the books which are doing something other than hinging around future war (and so, to be honest, I find the plunge by Dante into the bleaker war stuff a bit of a shame). Halo Jones was great, meltdown man fun and ace trucking nifty for some tonal variety.

Slaine and abc are interesting in terms of the artwork a little uneven storytelling wise but breezy enough.

Overall, I've really enjoyed these regular slices of pulpy fun and will likely stick with the whole run. For a tenner a pop these are superb value for money and minor repro quibbles aside are a great way to gain an intro into the 2000ad back catalogue.

While I waited for the subscription to be sorted I bought a few of the judge dredd collection cheap at the market. They were pretty decent too, although I've got to say it's the variety in this one I'm enjoying.

Tomwe

Really enjoyed the second Kingdom volume. I came back to the prog with 1900 so half of this I have read before but at the time I had no context. It is much clearer now! I'll be right back to the progs for the next story too. A shame they had to stop it here but I'm sure there will be a third book if there's an extension.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Pale fire on 10 November, 2018, 11:17:52 AM
As a completely new reader to it all...

So Pale fire when you say new are you saying that the Ultimate collection is your first exposure to 2000ad. If so that's cool. Do you mind me asking what made you give it a whirl.

Be interesting to know if others have been drawn to Tharg's bosum by this collection.

athorist

I started reading 2000AD from Prog 1987 (saw the Future Shock documentary on Film4), so still relatively new - I've read the Dredd casefiles up to 16 and all the Judge Anderson volumes.

The only real disappointment so far was Robo-Hunter. Really glad I liked Nikolai Dante (considering there's 9 books), not so much vol 2 because it felt a bit more episodic, but vol 3 was amazing.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Mardroid

I had a look on the hachett website just the other day and was a bit shocked at how many are out of stock or down to very few numbers.

I can understand this with the earlier issues, but relatively recent issues were sold out too. I wonder if they underestimated the appeal. Hopefully they'll produce more.

Jade Falcon

Still not a huge fan of Slaine, but this volume seemed a lot more enjoyable.  Only thing is that the dungeon crawl story seemed to suddenly want to kill off a bunch of characters rather quickly, but then again high body counts are part of Slaine.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Pale fire

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 November, 2018, 05:57:29 PM

So Pale fire when you say new are you saying that the Ultimate collection is your first exposure to 2000ad. If so that's cool. Do you mind me asking what made you give it a whirl.

Be interesting to know if others have been drawn to Tharg's bosum by this collection.

I'm an avid reader and had only dabbled a bit in graphic novels (maus, Palestine, Chris Ware). Chatting with a buddy from Poland who is a huge judge dredd fan piqued my interest. I flicked through a prog in Smiths, brass sun caught my eye, but the episodic nature of it all put me off (I already have too many subscriptions).

A year or so passed and I saw issue 1 of this for a couple of quid and thought I'd give it a go. The artwork in that slaine volume really impressed me. Went to pick up a parcel and the local postie had halo Jones in, so I picked that up. Twas probably that (clever storytelling, unusual angle) and Shakara (just visceral) which hooked me in more fully.

I've lent out copies to lapsed reader friends who have enjoyed the trip down memory lane (always Nemesis they want to borrow).

I'd say that I've been particularly impressed by the curation of this collection, the mix of stuff has been good and the alternating generally between newer stuff and old classics has been neatly done. It's a really nice way of getting a slice of the 2000ad back catalogue. I doubt I'd have wandered into forbidden planet and picked up volume 1 of any of these in trade. Partly cos they're more expensive, but also because, if I'd picked up say, volume 1 of slaine I doubt I'd have read on, but doing it as part this collection seems less onerous somehow.

Tomontherun94

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 November, 2018, 05:57:29 PM

I'm another new reader, was drawn into 2000AD by the 2012 Dredd movie and the occasional Dredd/Stront GN found in charity shops. Fast forward to Hachette's Mega Collection and I was hooked. Jumped onto the Ultimate Collection as soon as it was available and began subscribing to both the prog and megazine with 2073 jump on issue.

It's been great experiencing all these stories for the first time aside from some meh material like Robo-Hunter and stuff like Nemesis and Nikolai Dante have become some of my favourite comics.