Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 April, 2018, 01:26:26 PM
Say what you like about it, but the film is taking a massive gamble in casting a straight white male as the lead of a Star Wars film.

Damn that quota system.

Maybe over his two centuries Chewie has found a little time for the love that dare not growl its name?  Although personally I'm hoping against hope that Lando is revealed as bi at the very least, if only to learn how loud the man-babies can scream.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 09 April, 2018, 05:14:24 PM
Although personally I'm hoping against hope that Lando is revealed as bi at the very least, if only to learn how loud the man-babies can scream.

You think a straight man could pull off wearing that cape?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

I have it on good authority* that while the actor who plays Han Solo through most of the film will definitely be a white male, [spoiler]the character will in fact be revealed to be transgender, born Anne Solo.

The fact he was able to father Ben Solo perhaps goes to show the advances in Sci-fi tech. Or maybe Ben was another product of those saucy midichlorians.[/spoiler]

*Aka my overactive imagination which goes to a very silly place sometimes.

Professor Bear

Recasting Lando with a black actor is going too far.

TordelBack

So this is new ground: a current SW actor simultaneously puts out what has to be one of the most stunning music videos of recent years in Glover's This Is America.  It's not exactly What Do You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Has A Comb) either - I wonder what Disney makes of it?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 May, 2018, 09:35:04 PM
So this is new ground: a current SW actor simultaneously puts out what has to be one of the most stunning music videos of recent years in Glover's This Is America.  It's not exactly What Do You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Has A Comb) either - I wonder what Disney makes of it?

Seems like the kind of thing you do after the film's safely in the can* and your handsome face is all over the posters:

https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY

* Disney have seen Atlanta, so they knew what they were getting. Plus, like everything else the talented wee sod's ever done, the video's been universally well received

TordelBack

Mmmm, it is an extraordinarily powerful piece, both musically and visually: but I struggle to see Disney embracing the timing, even if it (and Glover in general) boost the cool of the whole project by association.   

Professor Bear

The film has far left drugs advocate and communist thug Woody Harrelson in it, though fair play the rules seem to be a bit different when it comes to what the media considers acceptable behavior from rich white rednecks and that of young black men.

Frank

Quote from: Professor Bear on 09 May, 2018, 05:35:38 PM
The film has far left drugs advocate and communist thug Woody Harrelson in it, though fair play the rules seem to be a bit different when it comes to what the media considers acceptable behavior from rich white rednecks and that of young black men.

18-year-old Carrie Fisher was high for every second of the original trilogy and Billy Dee copped a plea on spousal battery charges, so The Wars are officially, historically down with non-male, non-old, and non-white misdemeanours.

Disney let Warwick Davis appear in the sequels despite his friendship with Ricky Gervais, so association with the unpleasant and the offensive is obviously no obstacle to participation.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 09 May, 2018, 06:09:00 PM18-year-old Carrie Fisher was high for every second of the original trilogy and Billy Dee copped a plea on spousal battery charges, so The Wars are officially, historically down with non-male, non-old, and non-white misdemeanours.

Whereas legendary dope smoker Harrison Ford has been permanently stoned since at least 1968 when he was a cameraman/roadie for The Doors.

How Harrison Ford's 'Brutal Strength' Weed Changed Carrie Fisher's Opinion On Pot

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 09 May, 2018, 06:09:00 PM]
Disney let Warwick Davis appear in the sequels despite his friendship with Ricky Gervais, so association with the unpleasant and the offensive is obviously no obstacle to participation.

Arf!

All indications from the trailers are that Ehrenreich is playing Han/Harrison at his most monotonic/stoned, so maybe Her Arch-Satanness Kennedy has embraced edgy subcultures in general. 

TordelBack

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

If someone says "the best Star Wars yet!" you know we're in trouble.