Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

And yet a very clever man (far cleverer than me) repeatedly told me the other night that the way it works is the Tories clean up Labour's financial messes. Labour spend it, the Tories save.

Despite being able to hear everything other one of my criticisms of the shambles of the Tory party and its actual record vs its hype (and the nature by which this hype is sustained), he wouldnt shift on that one. All evidence to the contrary, BoJo a shining, crystallized icon of the absolute utter waste of time and money they're capable of without any kind of positive return. Never mind overspending, it's literally setting fire to it so you stand in the faint light. 

sheridan

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 July, 2019, 12:51:05 AM
And yet a very clever man (far cleverer than me) repeatedly told me the other night that the way it works is the Tories clean up Labour's financial messes. Labour spend it, the Tories save.

Despite being able to hear everything other one of my criticisms of the shambles of the Tory party and its actual record vs its hype (and the nature by which this hype is sustained), he wouldnt shift on that one. All evidence to the contrary, BoJo a shining, crystallized icon of the absolute utter waste of time and money they're capable of without any kind of positive return. Never mind overspending, it's literally setting fire to it so you stand in the faint light. 

It's trickle-down theory, isn't it?  Giving lots of money to really rich people is good for everybody because (theoretically) they'll spend it on things and the money eventually gets down to the poor people.  And the rich people don't hoard it all or spend it on incredibly expensive pieces of artwork.

Also - you left out that the tories are the party of law and order, as we can tell from the glowing recommendations that the police, court system, probation services, prisons, et al have given the tories in the ninth year of their current rule.

Funt Solo

Labour spend it, the Tories save. 

Or Labour spend it on services, the Tories spend it on ... something offshore, probably.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 18 July, 2019, 12:51:05 AM

This is one of those myths (lies) that simply passes into perceived 'truth' by endless repetition. The actual numbers very clearly show that not only do the Conservatives borrow more than Labour when in government, Labour also repays more of the national debt.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

That Boris speech. Sweet Jesus.

When we run out of Mars bars, will the UK finally see sense?

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Rately on 18 July, 2019, 10:09:30 AM
That Boris speech. Sweet Jesus.

It's only a suggestion, but it might be an idea if we all stopped calling him Boris, which plays into his own carefully constructed image of a cuddly, matey lad-next-door.  He's a cynical, calculating fuck that has never known anything other than how the entitled rich live.

He can have his surname like every other politician, or even better, that word I used for Farage that got me a week's ban from the forum.

Speaking of that particular profanity, Trump has his bovine followers shouting 'send her back'.  Where is it all going to end? The west is broken now, and it won't be fixed any time soon.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Yep. I'm in particular sick of the media getting sucked into the Boris thing. Stop using his first name, like he's Prince or Madonna. He's a fucking MP, like the rest of them. Use his full name!

Still, I guess he'll at least get to go down in history now, probably as the last PM of the UK, if not the last Tory PM. (I'm not optimistic enough to think this will bring down that party.)

TordelBack

Quote from: Rately on 18 July, 2019, 10:09:30 AM

Pretty sure the reaction to no Mars Bars/medicines/planes/jobs will be very far from sense: instead it'll be further misplaced rage at the EU, only fueling the careers of toerags like Johnson and Farage and demands for retribution and even more complete separation and union with the US.

Floating the idea that the UK will be anything other than injured prey for the US after Brexit should be enough to see any politician booed off the stage. Amazing that the English can understand in their very bones that 54 million > 5 + 3 + 2 million, and what power that confers, but not that 510 million > 325 million > 64 million, and what that implies. 

Professor Bear

Boy, it sure is good that no harm came of pretending the left was riddled with antisemitism just so we could take potshots at Corbyn and Omar.  Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just off to see what this #SendHerBack thing is all about...

Welp.  Dunno how fucked we were before, but we're super fucked now.

TordelBack

Still hard for me to believe that this is where we've ended up: if you can't persuade your party and constituents of the value of your ideas, just tell lies and more lies and keep telling lies until you're in charge. And why stop then?

It feels like someone's found a glitch in a side-scroller where you just keep running in the same specific spot and nothing can kill you, and now all the kids are doing it and getting ludicrous scores and no-one else gets a game but equally no-one seems to care that IT'S TOTAL BULLSHIT.

Theblazeuk

It's also like lots of people are standing around saying about how good those players are and how they're the only ones playing it right and getting very self righteous and offended when anyone points out the flaws.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 July, 2019, 09:47:02 PM
It's also like lots of people are standing around saying about how good those players are and how they're the only ones playing it right and getting very self righteous and offended when anyone points out the flaws.

Yep. Sounds like the Dunning-Kruger effect. Kind of like unconscious incompetency.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2019/1/31/18200497/dunning-kruger-effect-explained-trump

IndigoPrime

The UK's now basically in the same space as the US, despite claiming otherwise. We have a broken electoral system (and, sorry, Labour, but you are very responsible for this after kicking the Jenkins Report into the long grass, due to your own arrogance), which is cementing arseholes in power; and we have a sizeable number of people now worked up into a frenzy to not only vote against their own best interests, but also in favour of the dismantling of democracy. This has turned from something merely deeply depressing (leaving the EU) to something that is getting genuinely fucking scary. I'm not sure there will be enough MPs to stop the UK heading somewhere very dark.

It says everything that 274(!) MPs voted against legislation designed to stop an executive coup that would literally cancel parliament, and that people were shocked at the scale of the defeat. TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FOUR MPs voted to make themselves irrelevant. And every day this kind of shit is in the conversation, the more it is normalised.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2019, 10:35:53 PM
Still hard for me to believe that this is where we've ended up

Don't blame me, I voted for the Greens.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 July, 2019, 01:19:59 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 18 July, 2019, 10:35:53 PM
Still hard for me to believe that this is where we've ended up

Don't blame me, I voted for the Greens.

Heh!