Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

As Radiator says a good rule of thumb is a game that takes no more than an hour to play....if it takes 30 mins to set it's likely a non starter (unless set up before hand). Cards Against Humanity while good suffers from one big flaw, people bore easily. While it might be good for the company to trot out more and more expansions, i usually find that people say "fuck i am not asking that again" or just changing their hand because they are tired of waiting for the right time to play cards.

radiator

While the base deck gets repetitive fairly quickly (especially if you're playing frequently with the same group of people, or those with limited imaginations), with all five expansions - plus lots of mini expansions - the possible combinations grow exponentially. The 90s Nostalgia Pack is particularly awesome. Third party expansions are available but they look shite.

We actually limit hands to 7 cards (10 is stated in the rules), and don't draw extra for 2 or 3 for multiple answer rounds. If you don't have anything funny to play, tough.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I loved Talisman as a kid and I love it now.

Got the Grim Reaper expansion for Christmas and played it for the first time this week. Absolutely awesome, makes the game even more immersive and fun.

Satanist

Just treated myself to Space Hulk as Ive wanted to play it since I was a kid  :). Anyone got an opinion on this? Seems to get raved about in reviews.

Also my son got the Star Wars mini space ship game at Xmas but havent got round to that one yet, probs take them on holiday in the summer and try it then if stuck in on a rainy day.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

NapalmKev

Quote from: Satanist on 12 March, 2015, 01:22:40 PM
Just treated myself to Space Hulk as Ive wanted to play it since I was a kid  :). Anyone got an opinion on this? Seems to get raved about in reviews.

Space Hulk is excellent, second only to Heroquest.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

Where did you get your Space Hulk from Satanist?

I had a similar nostalgic urge to get it recently and it seemed to be out of print (with the last one being a pre-order only and they're already gone sort of deal).

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 March, 2015, 04:42:05 PM

I had a similar nostalgic urge to get it recently and it seemed to be out of print (with the last one being a pre-order only and they're already gone sort of deal).

A few shops still have copies knocking around here in Ireland, I'd say ask the smaller gaming shops.

Satanist

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 12 March, 2015, 04:42:05 PM

Ebay mate. £100 which is a nice wee mark up as it was released at £75 last year but I was in the same boat as yourself. The link below is where I ordered from and the guy has another 3...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Space-Hulk-2014-BNIB-Games-Workshop-Blood-Angels-Tyranids-Broodlord-Warhammer-/281616490697?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4191a6a0c9#ht_114wt_958

Keef Monkey

Emp

Bloody hell! I got Space Hulk for 35 quid and thanks to the charity shop down the road Heroquest and 3 expansions for about £50 (I now send all my unwanted crap their way, karma and all).

Still think i paid too much for Space Hulk...it was like £30 quid when it came out an it violates one of my gaming rules. If you have to spend half an hour setting it up it's really not worth it, people will get bored!

Satanist

Well I played Space Hulk for the first time at the weekend and the kids loved it. I think its pretty great as well.

Although at the moment we arent using the timer while we get used to the rules but I can see that when we do things will get pretty hectic.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 28 February, 2015, 05:48:31 PM
I loved Talisman as a kid and I love it now.

Got the Grim Reaper expansion for Christmas and played it for the first time this week. Absolutely awesome, makes the game even more immersive and fun.

I have all the expansions. The corner ones are great. We nerf the City, though, as a flail (roll two dice for a strength attack) plus a warhorse (add craft + strength in battle) make it ridiculously easy.
Lock up your spoons!

radiator

Invested in a few more games as we have a few holidays coming up. Primarily I'm looking for 2 player games that are simple without being banal. They must also look quaintly accessible a la Carcassonne - nothing too overtly nerdy or it won't fly with my girlfriend (for instance Star Realms looks great but there's no chance in hell she'd even try to play).

So far I've got:

Aricola: All Creatures Big and Small
Quirkle
Jaipur

JamesC

Dominion is supposed to be very good.

Timothy

Mr Jack Pocket is very good.