Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

Well finally got around to watching Venom, was expecting the worst but really quite enjoyed it.  A lot funnier than I expected, the interplay between Venom and Eddy being the highlight, the bike chase was veery entertaining but the final fight a bit of a mess but I suppose should be expected as it was two CGI  messes just going at each other.  3 out of 5 from me, didn't knock it out of the park but certainly better than a lot of the reviews would have you believe.

CU Radbacker

Hawkmumbler

Night of the Demon (1957)

The superb early folk horror masterpiece finally has a top dollar blu-ray courtesy of Indicator. There's nothing extra I can add to what I believe is a fan favourite in these parts, it's glorious and one of the icons of 50's brit horror, with effects sequences that cast there influence for decades. If you can swing for the pricey but phenomenal new blu set, do so, it's got all 4 different cuts restored in glorious 2K, as well as substantial material on Casting the Runes as a through line for folk horror.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 October, 2018, 12:24:35 PM
Night of the Demon (1957)

The superb early folk horror masterpiece finally has a top dollar blu-ray courtesy of Indicator. There's nothing extra I can add to what I believe is a fan favourite in these parts, it's glorious and one of the icons of 50's brit horror, with effects sequences that cast there influence for decades. If you can swing for the pricey but phenomenal new blu set, do so, it's got all 4 different cuts restored in glorious 2K, as well as substantial material on Casting the Runes as a through line for folk horror.

I've got that set, just not had a chance to watch it yet. If you ordered direct from Powerhouse then it came with an exclusive calling card, as seen in the movie, with the faint runes on it.
Might well be my viewing for tomorrow night.

Hawkmumbler

Aye those rune calling cards where a nice touch, missed out on one as I bought in store at Fopp, but a quick message to Indicator and an order of Wolf and The Sinbad Trilogy boxset and they've stuck a card in for me. Good lads, are independent labels.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 October, 2018, 12:58:17 PM
Aye those rune calling cards where a nice touch, missed out on one as I bought in store at Fopp, but a quick message to Indicator and an order of Wolf and The Sinbad Trilogy boxset and they've stuck a card in for me. Good lads, are independent labels.

They are indeed!
It's a great label. Got everything they have put out so far.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 October, 2018, 12:58:17 PM

Whow there Fopp still exists, where does Fopp still exist... I miss Fopp.

Hawkmumbler

They're all over the place, Colin! Not sure about your world of Sheffield but certainly theres a few, I spend way too much in my branch.
https://www.fopp.com/stores/

JamesC

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 30 October, 2018, 10:51:59 PM
They're all over the place, Colin! Not sure about your world of Sheffield but certainly theres a few, I spend way too much in my branch.
https://www.fopp.com/stores/

Arh we had a Fopp which took over from Warp but it closed YEARS ago. I thought the whole company had gone down. Nice to know some are still going... well it would be if I wasn't bitter and jealous...

Tiplodocus

STARCRASH - I saw this at the cinema some 40 years ago and, how pretty Caroline Munro is aside, I thought it was terrible.

I watched it again tonight and it really is inept in ways I did not know were possible.

Still, Christopher Plummer talking straight to the audience at the end was 'kin awesome.

STARCRASH? More like STARSHIT!

Prof. Bear? Do you want to come along and defend it?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Hawkmumbler

Prof might not but I will! Starcrash is crazy, bonkers and inept in a way only and italian knock off could be and I freaking adore it.

Also, missed opportunity Tips! StarGASH surely!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 03 November, 2018, 10:58:17 AM
Also, missed opportunity Tips! StarGASH surely!

Oooh! That's going to be hard to live down!
@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

Starcrash is terrible, Tips, why would you waste your time watching bad films when there are so many good films out there?

Attack The Block, with its naff blokes in suits monsters and mangled pastiche of inner city patois (the Hi Hatz scenes just gave me flashbacks to the OG Loc missions from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas) reminds me of the broad but well-intentioned stabs at creating genre films for the international market that Britain attempted in the 1980s-1990s while the VHS rental economic model was dominant.  Films like Proteus, Hardware, Paperhouse, or Rawhead Rex, although the practical effects in some of those were probably better than those in ATB.
Despite the cheapness, some of the actual shots of the monsters are fantastic, particularly in the final chase sequence, and the matter-of-factness in the way they clumsily move about lends them a physical weight that still eludes even the best CGI, while I'm torn between thinking the glow in the dark Dracula fangs like you used to get on the cover of kids' comics before the EU decided they were too sharp or something - TAKE BACK CONTROL!!1! - are a genius visual gimmick, and thinking they're dead naff.
Actors are good, but John Boyega does nothing except glower and look handsome - I'm not gay or anything, but I probably would.  Doctor Who is okay, and the rest of the cast is on the right side of the "annoying"/"not annoying" scale that kid actors should be.
More charming than it is good, but it's still pretty good.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Professor Bear on 03 November, 2018, 02:53:26 PM
Starcrash is terrible, Tips, why would you waste your time watching bad films when there are so many good films out there?

A momentary lapse of reason. It was actually amazing to see just how bad a professional product could be. And I don't think everyone was being intentionally bad. Some were trying.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

StarCrash is bad but it has best space-helmet ever (which I believe is a water-tank of some sort).