Main Menu

Mark Millar looking for 2 or 3 page stories

Started by Emperor, 06 May, 2010, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunk!

Any boarders in the selection?

I know Stephen Baskerville, used to work with him, so congrats Baz, but folks are using their real names so i'm clueless as to any boarders.
"Trust we"

locustsofdeath!

Will he also be selecting one-page stories...? I'll admit I'm a bit confused as to why he changed it up - did he originally only want one-pagers, found he wasn't satisfied with those submitted, and then decided to open it up to longer strips? Or did he want a variety of lengths for the mag?

Congrats to the winner...and I have to say I'm also pretty shocked that someone from this board wasn't included  :o.

Colin YNWA

Having had a nosey at the winners they certainly are pretty fine and while not as diverse as some of the other entries are of an obvious standard, well one aside but thats personal taste for ya. There's so much other good stuff there that I'm amazed he got to a decision and its also a very good exercise in seeing what to do.

Well done to all who gave it a go.

Jim_Campbell

Millar's latest post on the subject strongly implies that no-one else is going to get selected from the previous thread, but is inviting new 3-4 page submissions taking their cue from the ones selected.

To which I say again: Hmmf.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Hmpf, indeed. The brief was (and is) for sci-fi tales with a twist. I'm not sure the ones chosen meet that brief, but then that's maybe sour grapes. However, something like "Her" by Emps and Kev Lev seems much more on target than "The Loop." I didn't get that, but maybe that's my problem.

Still, I've got another entry in the pipeline, so here's hoping. I've seen the pencils from our very own Dan Cornwell and I have to say that my peurile ramblings don't deserve what he's done with them.
Lock up your spoons!

Emperor

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 June, 2010, 01:48:15 PM
Hmpf, indeed. The brief was (and is) for sci-fi tales with a twist. I'm not sure the ones chosen meet that brief, but then that's maybe sour grapes. However, something like "Her" by Emps and Kev Lev seems much more on target than "The Loop." I didn't get that, but maybe that's my problem.

Thanks for the kind words. The board delivered a series of impressive efforts and it is a disappointment none of them made it. I think the problem is I've put a lot of thought into examining the Future Shock format and I gave it my best of British based on that. However, I suspect Millar has some different idea of what he wants (despite using the Future Shock as short hand for what he is after).

Plus the goalposts seem to keep moving - is it now just 3-4 pagers he is after? Because it started as 1-4, then 2-4 and now 3-4?.

I'm going to have to take a look at what he has picked (when someone over there digs out the links or reposts the pages as I'll be jiggered if I want to dig through a dozen image-heavy pages, although I might do on the laptop later when I'm watching TV) and ponder this one. It may be I'm trying too hard and I should decompress a single pager to 2 or even 3 pages. I dunno.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Certainly I'd suggest the ones that won (and did dig them out earlier but didn't know how best to single them out to share) were far more decompressed than your typical 'Future Shock', very simple ideas. Well executed, but to my untrained eyes without as much story.

In one case in particular its just a cute gag rather than a 'Future Shock'... hold on...

Colin YNWA

Standard apologise but here's one

(that one was easy to pull out - ahem...)

Colin YNWA

Another (I actually think this one is great, again story light but fun)

Colin YNWA

Colin YNWA

And with a final apology for multiple posting the last one I saw

Van Dom

These ones all seem to be strips which were produced by a single guy, both written and illustrated. So anybody who collaborated with someone else will have to still hold their breath and hope they get a "private" email. Mark did say he would be contacting some people.

I don't understand " The Loop". Sorry, maybe I'm dim. In Mark's words "Short, clever, cinematic sci fi that's easy to follow for mainstream readers and preferably with a good twist at the end. It's hard to do, but when it works-- as these do-- it looks great". Just don't see how this applies to The Loop. Can anybody offer an explanation to the dunderheads amongst us please!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

TordelBack

Love that Flying Fortress one, and commiserations to all hard-working boarders.  Mark Millar in 'can't stick to a brief for five minutes' shocker, well I never.

locustsofdeath!

Well, it seems we're getting a better idea of what Millar wants in his magazine. He didn't give us much to go on, so it was hit or miss. I notice the forum members posted submissions that were closer to FutureShocks, and clearly he didn't want FutureShocks...I suppose a couple of those winners could be deemed to have "twist endings", but as Colin said they are all a bit light on story (and calling the planet "Pee Pee" sort of gave that particular twist away).

So now we have a better idea of what he's looking for - potty humor, by and large! - so one of us will just have to get in the hard way... :D. ...now I'm off to mail off my submission to Mad Magazine!

Edit: I should clarify that I don't find any of these "bad"; they are enjoyable for sure!