Main Menu

Mark Millar looking for 2 or 3 page stories

Started by Emperor, 06 May, 2010, 03:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilipenguin

It does smack of making the best of what was submitted. I think the strips that were chosen were among the strongest entries (not sure about a couple of them though). Dealing exclusively with an internet forum inevitably means that the submissions are going to come from around the world. Hopefully the finished mag will have an open call printed somewhere within in it, which will probably increase the amount of competition but also see more homegrown creators work get published.

locustsofdeath!

Uh-uh, there were a bunch of strips written and drawn by guys on this forum that were leagues better than "Planet Pee Pee" and "The Loop". Sorry, but Millar's taste must be as shite as his 2000AD work.

chilipenguin

I didn't say THE strongest. I would have chosen differently, but the ones MM decided to go with certainly had character and were professionally done (literally in some cases). Plus, you have to admit, there were a few really poor entries as well.

For me, Fall of the Fortress and Treasure are the two stand out selections. The others are (well, Planet PeePee was a bit rubbish).

The one entry I saw from the board members here (Her) was fantastic.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Emperor

Kind of sounds like if he likes the story or the art he will get the other bit redone.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

JaeDMC

I came on here a while back looking for folks who wanted to collaborate on a piece for this, but it was apparently bad timing as many were busy. I actually did find an artist and have the finished pencils for the story. Would there be any digital wizards interested in inks/lettering?

It's got UFOs! SNIPERS! BARNS!....actually one barn....ALIENS!

chilipenguin

Seeing as MM has changed the requirements again, I thought I'd post this four page script to see if anyone would be up for doing the art? The script will see another draft but I'm anxious to get the ball rolling so I figured I'd let any potential artists read it and take it from there. (I hope this is the right place to post this)

Hey everybody,

I'm hoping to find an artist for my four pages submission for CLiNT. Below is the script as it stands at the moment (I'll be redrafting it plus doing the lettering so I can catch any mistakes in the final edit). Please get in touch if you fancy lending your artistic talents...

PAGE ONE (THREE PANELS)
Panel 1. Ext. Establishing shot. A 70's American muscle car is blasting through the desert pursued by a police cruiser. The tyres are smoking, the cruiser's lights are flashing; it's an all out high-speed chase. Driving the muscle car is Jack, accompanied by a stunning blonde (we'll see them in the next panel).
JACK
Yeeeeehaaaaaaaa!
JACK (CAPTION)
Hell of a day for a drive.

Panel 2. Int. Muscle Car. We can see Jack; a bear of a man with a scrubby black beard and sideburns (think psychobilly looks). He is holding the steering wheel with just his thumb and forefinger, the rest of his fingers are gripping a bottle of bourbon. In his other hand he is holding a revolver. Beside him sits Mandy; an absolute knockout. Long blonde hair, full lips; the kind of girl that always goes for the dangerous guys.
JACK
Fifty miles to the border baby, then we're home and dry.
MANDY
Gun it, hon!
JACK (CAPTION)
Not much of an academic, but looking the way she does, ain't a book in the world that could improve on what the Almighty gave her.

Panel 3. Ext. If it's possible, Jack's car increases in speed. In the police cruiser that follows, one of the officers is hanging out the window with his pistol drawn. He is firing at Jack's car.
SFX: BLAM BLAM BLAM

PAGE TWO (FOUR PANELS)
Panel 1. Int. Muscle Car. Jack is looking behind him, monitoring the police cruiser's progress. The bullets have gone wide and ricocheted off the wing mirror.
JACK
Wooheee. That was a close one.
MANDY
Give 'em hell, Jack!
JACK (CAPTION)
Is their pension worth this? That could have had my eye out!
SFX (Ricochet): PTING

Panel 2. Ext. Muscle Car. Jack is hanging out of the window, returning fire. Mandy has reached over and is holding the steering wheel.
JACK
Come and get me!
SFX: BLAM BLAM BLAM

Panel 3. Ext. Police Cruiser. One of Jack's bullets has found its target. One of the cruiser's front tyres has been punctured.
SFX: PSHHH

Panel 4. Ext. Police Cruiser. The cruiser starts to swerve violently across the road as the driver loses control.
JACK (CAPTION)
Those state bears better hope they have a spare onboard.

PAGE THREE (FOUR PANELS)
Panel 1. Ext. Police Cruiser. The driver has finally lost all control and the car has flipped. Debris goes flying. The police officers inside look terrified.
JACK (CAPTION)
Never mind.

Panel 2. Int. Muscle Car. Jack has settled back down to the job of driving. The revolver has been put away and he is back inside the car. He and Mandy are looking out the rear window at the smoking mess of the police cruiser lying in the road behind them.
JACK
Nothing to stop us now, baby. We'll be drinking tequila by nightfall.
MANDY
You showed 'em, hon!

JACK (CAPTION)
Days like these don't come often. Wild, crazy days.

Panel 3. Int. Muscle Car. Jack and Mandy have turned back round to face the front. The wreckage of the cruiser is still visible through the rear window but further away now. But instead of looking pleased at their getaway, they both are screaming in terror.
MANDY
Jack! Look out!
JACK
Sshhiiii...
JACK (CAPTION)
With a girl by your side, a drink in your hand...

Panel 4. Ext. Muscle Car. Jack hasn't been watching the road. The car has flown right off of the cliff top road.
JACK AND MANDY
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!

PAGE FOUR (SPLASH PAGE)
PANEL 1 (SPLASH). Ext. The scene has changed completely. The bright sunshine of the desert has been replaced with a murky gloom. Within it, we can see row upon row of bio-pods, each with a human being lying inside. In one of the pods closest to us we see a familiar figure. It is Jack, but not the Jack we know. His body is withered and wasted. Only his face looks the same (his hairstyle might be visible as a remnant under some heavy growth). Wires and tubes are hanging from his head and wrists. Beside him, a computer monitor reads:
COMPUTER MONITOR
Daydream Cycle Complete. Adrenaline Extraction Initiated.
JACK (CAPTION)
...hell of a day for a drive.

HdE

Just gonna dangle this bit of bait out there to see if it can coax a bite or two out of you fine board users.

I've been toying witht he idea of subbing something for CLiNT. But right now, I'm caught between a load of lettering gigs and aother exciting something taht I'm probably not supposed to talk about. Except to say that I can't talk about it.

So. My time is limited, but I can still be of service if anybody requires some inks or lettering. Inking's really what I'm after, mind.

Samples of my stuff can be found dotted around my gallery on Deviant Art. There's a link on my profile, I do believe. Failing that, anyof you peeps who are interested can sling me a PM.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/