Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Low

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 09 May, 2010, 08:30:09 PM...LONG replies...

This is partly where you're going wrong, Peter. Your posts are often so long and rambling that the point you're trying to make is often lost in the confusion. In all seriousness, and without intending to insult, you need to tighten your focus when you write.

Regards

Robin

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2010, 10:14:34 PM
Quote from: Robin Low on 09 May, 2010, 10:07:43 PM
I suspect the foreplay would last for days...

Holy Christ! I need to WASH MY BRAIN!

It's not often I use these things, but  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Robin

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 08 May, 2010, 11:07:16 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 08 May, 2010, 10:58:58 PM
I am not sure i see any point in continuing to discuss this topic as its unproductive

Ok, fine. I find economics boring anyway. If the causes of the economic crisis have been isolated, and they are criminality and corruption, then Gordon Brown's failure is in allowing criminality and corruption on a global scale to go on instead of putting a stop to them as a better man would have done.

In defence of Gordon Brown and posted in the interests of fairness and believe it or not i didnt know about this until today:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/apr/18/gordon-brown-angela-merkel-goldman-sachs

Its interesting because i have not heard Gordon Brown be this openly critical about Goldman Sachs before.The actual amount of money involved is very small and its just one aspect of their activities and the tip of the iceberg and wether the investigation will go anywhere is uncertain but it helps to remember that even if Gordon Brown called for an investigation of Goldman Sachs they could easily block that or obstruct it in whatever way possible.

Its a start though.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

TordelBack

Aw gents (wipes away tears of laughter), thanks so much for this last run of posts.. it's the first time I've ever found post-Roman politics interesting!

Mikey

Roman politics is interesting? ;)

Maybe we should vote for parliament to start lighting the winter nights with burning Christians, breeding with close family members and eating 'till they boke.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Christov

Quote from: Mikey on 10 May, 2010, 12:05:49 PM
Roman politics is interesting? ;)

Maybe we should vote for parliament to start lighting the winter nights with burning Christians, breeding with close family members and eating 'till they boke.

M.
Basically Norfolk? Well, if you replace the bit about Christians with minorities.

stacey

I wish they would just sort it all out and stopping posting pictures of Nick Clegg everywhere wearing his suit. It is playing havoc with my libido, he's not even that pretty - why's he so sexy?

This is my perfectly logical and reasonable assessment of current political shennigans. I'm off for a cold shower and to stay away from teh News for a couple of hours!

pauljholden

Quote from: stacey on 10 May, 2010, 12:14:21 PM
I wish they would just sort it all out and stopping posting pictures of Nick Clegg everywhere wearing his suit. It is playing havoc with my libido, he's not even that pretty - why's he so sexy?

This is my perfectly logical and reasonable assessment of current political shennigans. I'm off for a cold shower and to stay away from teh News for a couple of hours!

Is it because if you got into bed with him, you know you could make him do anything you liked? (badoom tish)

-pj

Peter Wolf

750 billion Euro rescue package:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8671632.stm

The article also states that the IMF are going to contribute 250 billion Euros but i am not clear if that is an additional 250 billion or not.Anyway this is their solution to everything.Cream as much cash off the taxpayer and throw it at the problem instead of investigating the root cause of it.

An investigation into Goldman Sachs would have saved the European economy 750 billion.

The taxpayer also funds the IMF.

Angela Merkel in reaction to this and the Greek bailouts and the cost to the German economy is to say that the banks - I.E Goldman Sachs and the other 6 major banks was to call them "Treacherous" but that is just for public consumption because elections are upcoming in Germany.

Thats unless she actually means it because people are starting to realise what is going on and when that happens politicians are right in the firing line.

Quote:

BERLIN — German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday slammed "treacherous" practices by banks during the Greek crisis and said governments must crack down on speculators hunting profits in the turmoil.

Merkel, whose Christian Democrats face a tough re-election battle in Germany's most populous state Sunday, railed against gamblers on the financial markets who she said were exacerbating an already volatile situation.

"First the banks failed, forcing states to carry out rescue operations. They plunged the global economy over the precipice and we had to initiate recovery packages. Because of these packages, we have become indebted and now, they are speculating against these debts -- that is really very treacherous," she said.

"Governments must regain their supremacy over the markets, which they no longer have, and for that we need much stricter global rules," she added, at a debate on Europe organised by a public broadcaster.

Merkel said it was now up to the European Union member states to reassert their authority and shore up the financial rules governing the bloc.

"We must clearly demonstrate that in Europe we have the political power, each in his own country, of getting back on the track of the Stability and Growth Pact," she said.

"It is a fight of policy against the markets. That is how I see it personally but I am determined -- as are my colleagues, I am certain -- to win this fight and we will be victorious, I am sure."
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Robin Low

Quote from: stacey on 10 May, 2010, 12:14:21 PM

Just imagine him cozying up to Gordon Brown in a sauna and that should put you right.

Regards

Robin

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Robin Low on 10 May, 2010, 01:29:01 PM
Just imagine him cozying up to Gordon Brown in a sauna and that should put you right.

Ewww! Will you pack that in?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 May, 2010, 01:30:14 PM

I would, but it's grown too big.

Regards

Robin

vzzbux

Quote from: Robin Low on 10 May, 2010, 01:34:05 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 May, 2010, 01:30:14 PM

I would, but it's grown too big.

Regards

Robin

Take a cold shower then.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 10 May, 2010, 01:25:25 PM
An investigation into Goldman Sachs would have saved the European economy 750 billion.

An investigation wouldn't save anything, only the potential action taken as a result of it. What do you suggest should have been done to save this whopping amount? Is this the same sort of maths that gave you the "we'd save £120 billion by withdrawing from the EU" figure?

Nap Normal

The star of this election for me was "Mighty Fist Man"
He's made the pages of the Chortle.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2010/05/09/10965/whos_this_comedian%3F

Falling in love makes you fat.