Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

James Stacey

That really looks like its going to 100 issues doesnt it

oddballuk

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 01 March, 2018, 01:00:42 PM
Complete spine image - with further extension possibility? now on Facebook:

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/28337049_2020359871555144_7800056979977625833_o.jpg?oh=d65de349b4113ac797072ca58a998288&oe=5B4A1C42

Nice.

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 March, 2018, 01:02:42 PM

Comparing it with Goddard's original art I'd say yes seeing as there's room for Judge Ed MacBrayne, Phobia and one of the Ape Gang?

Molch-R

It's not. The series finishes with volume 90.

Tomwe

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 March, 2018, 01:11:42 PM

It's not. The series finishes with volume 90.
Thanks Michael!

James Stacey

Thanks Michael. I wasn't implying I was adverse to another extension mind  :D

oddballuk

Quote from: James Stacey on 01 March, 2018, 01:17:44 PM
Thanks Michael. I wasn't implying I was adverse to another extension mind  :D

Same!

moly

90 is enough for this set especially with the 2000ad collection

IndigoPrime

I suspect a Dredd set would soon start scraping the barrel. We've already had enough duff volumes, and I don't want to see more. Really, we could have knocked at least 10 out of what we already had and improved the collection, and so 90 and done is fine by me.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the 2000 AD one. There, plenty of scope exists for a massive extension. The problem is, you do wonder whether Dredd has more clout in terms of sales than 2000 AD, and also if the overlap ended up causing people to not subscribe. Obviously, it's impossible to know, but I'd love to see another 10, 20 or 50 books in that line, especially if we can get some John Smith in the mix.

The Amstor Computer

Stopping at 90 is fine by me. To be honest, I'd have been happy to have the series conclude at issue 80 - and it would likely have meant I'd now be picking up the 2000AD partwork as well.

However, because they overlapped significantly and there was no way I could justify £40 a month on both I didn't bother with the 2000AD series. Once Dredd finally wraps up the Ultimate Collection will be so far along I won't be inclined to start hunting for back issues or starting a subscription. It's a shame, as the books look good and if the timing had been calculated better - the 2000AD series starting a month or so before the Dredd extension finished, perhaps - I'd have gone for it. I'd imagine there is a reasonably large crossover between Dredd subscribers and potential Ultimate Collection subscribers so I would be surprised if there weren't a good few Dredd subs who were in the same position.

IndigoPrime

I guess people can always pick up the sub later on (and, chances are, would be able to grab older books from people selling them off on eBay, as always happens with partworks at a certain point). But, yeah, I do think the crossover here was a mistake.

The Amstor Computer

Yeah, there is a way to catch up if I was determined enough, but there are always competing demands on my time and money (and if I'm going to spend time scouring eBay it'll be for the handful of New Eagle issues I'm missing ;-) ) and anything that makes it tougher for me to get in will be an issue.

It's a pity, as having got used to setting aside £20 to commit to the Dredd partwork, I'd have been a relatively easy sell to smoothly transition to the Ultimate Collection but having a 5-10 month patch where my commitment would have to double (depending on whether I went for the extension on Dredd) was just too much of an obstacle. I don't know how critical it is to Hachette's business that they hit certain release windows, but if they had been able to delay the 2000AD partwork to March 2018 they'd have made the decision to skip it far tougher.

Tomwe

It's still possible to begin a 2000 AD Collection sub from issue 1 via the website.

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Tomwe on 02 March, 2018, 11:35:59 AM
It's still possible to begin a 2000 AD Collection sub from issue 1 via the website.

Really? I'd missed that entirely - does it kick in with two-per-month at the normal price and you just end up xx months behind everyone else, or do you get shunted into some kind of catchup scheme?

If it's the former, it makes switching to it when the Dredd extension ends a bit more attractive...

IndigoPrime

You'd have to contact the publisher, but as far as I'm aware, it's subject to stock, and you just end up running X months behind.

If they have any sense, they'd actually advertise this when the Dredd collection ends, and offer three options:

- Sub from issue 1
- Sub from whatever issue they're at by that point
- Catch-up from X and sub (which, natch, would require a hefty initial payment)