Main Menu

1422 - Gun Law!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 17 January, 2005, 05:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philt

Dredd - explaining one of the huge plot holes in the Total War. Psi Division are crap. Next Week "Why Lie Detectors Don't Work Any More". The we can also have "Why Only One Person Works In the PSU" and "Where's the Wally Squad and Tek Divison When You Need Them?" Rounded off with "How The Judges Lost their Matter Transporter and the Dimension Jump Technology Down The Back Of The Sofa".
Presumably we will be getting a story (soon) explaining why the citizens of Mega City One who were so happy to see the back of the Judges only a couple of weeks ago so meekly accepted their "return".
The only other thing I'm reading at the minute is Caballistics. Which is (as always) superb.

Floyd-the-k

Cover - I found this boring and the helmet distracting

Dredd - Good stuff. I love the art, usually found in more humorous stories.

SCB - it`s still not grabbing me. there are lots of ideas here but none of them really engage me.

petemaskreplica

Did anyone else see that Jon Ronson series recently on Channel 4 about the nutty stuff governements fund? After that, the idea of the Judges continuing to fund a patently ineffective psi division seems positively sensible. Personally I found the finale to this Dredd story to be a wonderfully cold one, Wagner pointing out the dark side of the judges in a particularly subtle and nasty way. The story as a whole makes me think that Wagner's anything but done with the Total War storyline, I suspect its consequences will rumble on for quite some time. It seems to me he's sneaking a VERY major epic in under the guise of several nominally different tales.

And I liked the art, so there.

SCB coninues on its OK but not great course. I increasingly agree with Watcher's views on the lack of use of the setting. If this is supposed to be Birmingham, make something of it! Tribble-ball was a wasted opportunity. But overall, I don't mind it.

Slaine: actually, I'm enjoying this a bit more than recent ones. I'm hoping it'll go the way of ABC Warriors, where having done some slightly lacklustre stories to reboot the series, Mills then goes on to produce some real cracking stuff (as in the last series of ABC, which grabbed me in a way the previous runs didn't). Langley's art is of course immediately impressing, but I remain to be convinced he can really tell a story in the way that, say, Henry Flint can.

I quite liked the bunny boiler line, it made me chuckle mildly.

Cabs: Ace. nuff said. The most consistantly entertaining new story in 2K for ages.

Dante: Not quite on a par with the best this character can be, but solidly fun nevertheless, and it's feeling like it's really getting going now.

Droid Life: OK, below par, but maybe I just think that because I've seen all the Rogue/Rouge gags done to death already on this board.

cover: for some reason I can't quite figure, this doesn't work for me. Lots of nice detail though, looking forward to seeing Boo tackle a whole Dredd story. Nice gun, too. Possibly the first time I've been persuaded that the mk2 is a good design.

Smiley

Weary ramble...

Okay prog, I guess. Nice cover but it looks like Dredd's going "Wahh, how do you switch this thing off?". The Dredd inside left me cold. Cartoon gore and dispassionate Millar-style decisions. Thought the El rider was a hoot with those big scissors until his helmet came off. I really don't want to see one of the artist's greaser pals (or whoever, faux pas in the making) gurning for the camera. Second City Blues is a snooze with a dull colouring job and Caballistics seems to be in danger of running out of steam. "Bah, led here under false pretences again. When are we ever going to learn? Oh, hang on, did he just utter a doom-laden portent? Yep, but it'll have to wait as we appear to be under siege again." (repeat.) Dante's coasting a bit but the cheeky art helps. Lulu Romanov's (or whatever her name is, dark hair, shoots nano-imps) behind the attack? Or is it the Romanov in the Reaver armour who works for the tsar now? Not bothered finding out to be honest.

Queen Firey-Bou

cover fantastic, i'd like that on a t-shirt please.

cabbs, i'm really enjoying this one, lots of interesting ideas & info piled in, characters & plot lines all good stuff.

Dredd was a cracking tale, really emotive, loved the art & felt it was just right. great way of tying in the psi thing.

dante, didnt really go anywhere this week, his mom needs a good slap, why he call her mama if he hate her ? is it sarcy, Mother would sound colder.

2nd cit blues, enjoyed this week better than last, we'll see where it goes.

slaine... oh slaine slaine slaine, sigh, maybe Thargs just stuck with this? people love the premis, the celtic fantasy dude, The art work is stunning, magnificent & popular, but unfortunately theyre hands are tied with the writing. now i know its frowned upon to bash a particular droid, but really, fur gruds sake, the dialogue with elrik or elfy or niles crane or whoever, was like a fucking skit from the to ronnies circa 1970, and the bunny boiling women ? don't get me started !  i love the art so much & want to enjoy it, but the speech bubbles & words fecking ruin it ... grr.