Main Menu

What's your views on the following...

Started by WoD, 17 February, 2005, 04:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

The Authority...just got the GN and would like to know what other peeps thought.

and...

Rising Stars...Read the first GN a while back and enjoyed it, wondered if it was worth looking up the second one (if it exists).

Tiplodocus

I rather enjoyed THE AUTHORITY: RELENTLESS.  Some absolutely gorgeous art (was it Hitch? I can't recall) and Ellis' script meant that you could actually tell the characters apart.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Noisybast

I thought Rising Stars was pants. Had loads of people waxing lyrical about how good it was, and felt really let down.

The page(s) with the ghosts was quite clever, though...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Quirkafleeg

Authority was ok but suffered from over-powered heros... which led to boring plots. "Hello I'm an unstopable supervillian - prepare to die" "Well I'm a batman ripoff who can kill anyone - all your underlings are dead" "I can do magic that lets me do anything basically - now you're dead as well" "You forgot our super-duper spaceship that can do anything" "That's for the next story"

Prefered Planetary although once the actual plot got going (and it stopped just riffing/ripping off other genre faves - Godzilla, HK ghosts, 50s Bomb movies, Hellblazer, Supes/Wonder Women/Green Latern - to name a few) it went off the boil

WoD

I agree with the Authority being over-powered, as I thought it made too short work of the first mini-arc.  Will have to read the rest later and see for myself what happens.

The ghost page was clever, I like that sort of thing every now and again. I seem to remember liking Rising Stars and will have another look at it when I get chance.

Will see if Planetary is in my local shop and check it out.

Cheers Gary.

GordonR

I liked the character that had eight and a half pints of liquid machinery for blood.

I especially enjoyed how she had to tell us this fact.  In every single episode she was in.

The bird with the hawk wings was a bit rubbish though, especially in comparision to the others.  What exactly did she do?

Byron Virgo

I had to read some of this Authority stuff for an interview I've got coming up (second time I've tried), and I had to stop reading after a while, when I could feel my brain giving up the ghost and begin to shrink rapidly in size as it turned to mush.

WoD

Heh..it was join the team or live in the zoo...

WoD

Not read enough to know she always pointed out the liquid machinery for blood...once agaon GR spoils it for me...I can't read Edge without thinking how up its own arse it is these days!

Jared Katooie

"The bird with the hawk wings was a bit rubbish though, especially in comparision to the others. What exactly did she do?"

All superteams are required by law to have one member with rubbish superpowers.

JLA? Aquaman. With the power to breath underwater and control fish.

Avengers? Captain America. Slightly stronger than an ordinary man and has a shield that wont break. EVER.

Krustabi

The original Ellis Authority was quite good. Nowt original, but at least it looked as if it was done with enthusiasm.

However, post Millar, it became dross, so much so, that I doubt that any creative team could ever redeem it.

This is what it all looks like nowadays.

HAWKSMOOR: Solarpowered Superman! Batman without morals! Fucking kill that fucking guy now whilst we take care of his fucking underlings.

MIDNIGHTER: (Insert sadistic sounding phrase here)

They meet the bad guy.

BAD GUY: I'm going to kill you, you fags (Not only is he evil, but he's also HOMOPHOBIC).

The Midnighter shoves his stick up the baddies rear-end whilst Apollo fies him to a crisp. The word "Fuck" is used more than once

Swift flies about a bit, Jack Hawksmoor and girlwitheightpintsofliquidmachinery have sex, the Doctor acts a bit weird, whilst Apollo and Midnighter play with the five-year old girl who can destroy anything, but is also really cute.

THE END.

Never read Rising Stars...

Quirkafleeg

Oh it was much more interesting when certain characters were in the closet rather than... getting married gak! gak! I try and forget about that...

Pyroxian

I've enjoyed Rising Stars, but felt it could've been a bit longer and taken more time for Character develpoment. Still, I'll be buying the 3rd GN when it's out.

I still like Authority, but yeah, it's not as good as when Ellis was writing it.

Steve

Krustabi

Ellis's StormWatch,the prequel, if you will, to the Authority was miles better.

Art

They weren't so much "in the closet" as "quite tastefully and tactfully done". It wasn't till Millar that it became, well, pretty much as  Krustabi described.

And  yes, what the fuck IS the one with wings for exactly?