Main Menu

Tiger Tiger

Started by 2000AD Online, 25 June, 2002, 03:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

2000Ad should do an adaption of the book Tiger Tiger by Alfred Bester.  The books alternative title is `the Stars my Destination`.
  Someone should do a really good movie of it.

Oh and bring back Carver Hale, Canon Fodder, Sancho Panzer.........

The Amstor Computer

I'll second that. Damn fine book - and if anyone wants to know more, you can go visit the links below for an excerpts & review (cut & paste, I'm afraid)

http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~mcguire/smd_excerpt.html

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue222/classic.html

As well as "The Stars...", I must admit I'd quite like to see "The Forever War" in comic form. Quite possibly one of the finest SF stories ever written, and a damning look at warfare in general & Vietnam in particular.

...And I'd like to see more Sancho :-)

Art

Thirded! Though really what i'd like to see is more strips that have the same mad and innovative spirit as Besters work, rather than just a direct copy of it.

JJP

The Forever War is already in Comic Form- it's in three volumes of which I managed to find all of them second hand.  Excellent artwork by Mark Van Oppen.

You should be able to hunt them down.

mwhandford

Alfred Bester has written some of the best sci-fi around, although adaptions of the original media are always second best, it would be great to read it in comic form.

The Amstor Computer

Thanks for the tip - I'll start hunting now :-)

Smiley

Unfortunately, "The Stars My Destination" has been in development hell for years. It's just one of those films that WILL be made but just doesn't get the green-light. At one point Stanley Kubrick was going to do it (that should explain some of the delay).

The last rumour a couple of years ago had Paul Anderson directing a screenplay written by David Giler and William Wisher. Since then, blip!

But, seeing as how the "Spider-Man" movie suffered a similar fate for years, there's hope yet.

It would make a good 2000AD strip, but DON'T get Alan Moore doing it! He did a spoof, "The Stars My Degradation".

Alien vegetable prostitutes? Ech!

O Lucky Stevie!

ah, the lyrical grandfather of cyberpunk. funnily enough, bester used to write superher comics for dc in the 1950s too.

anyone for tom disch?

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"