Main Menu

spooky story

Started by PeterWolf, 22 May, 2007, 05:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Wolf

I posted this story to someone last night who asked to hear it so i thought i would post it here just to see what reaction it got so here goes.

This happened in a place called St.Helens Woods in hastings .I used to live there in St.helens Wood Road which is on the doorstep.This happened about 10 years ago .

Myself and 2 friends decdided to go for a nightwalk up to the woods as was the case sometimes. It was summer ,warm and very still.

We went to a place called the Black Pond which is in a field with a circle of oak trees in it which are very old indeed.The whole place just feels very old and mysterious and is my favourite place to go to there.It is next to two very old trackways.

Moving on to the event:     We had been in the field for about 45 minutes when we sat down under one of the trees.We were in the middle of the field facing upwards to the higher end of the field which ended with a very old iron fence and woods the other side. I think it was just after midnight by now.  After a while i noticed something moving up by the fence on the other side of it.So i watched it as i was very curious by now as to what it was.It seemed to be very large and obviously a dog and quite stocky.A bit like a rottwieller and roughly about twice the size or more.It had quite short hair that was jet black. Now,those eyes,they were glowing a sort of dark orange colour.Although they glowed,no light shone out of them at all.If you want to scare yourself a bit then light 2 cigerettes,turn all the lights off,look at the burning ends of them and it will give you an idea of what they looked like in the dark.      It was moving about a lot for about 10 minutes and it seemed to be watching us as it was moving up and down and loking at us inbetween the bars in the fence.After another few minutes it just seemed to disapear or maybe we just couldnt see it anymore.We were sitting about 50- 70 feet away from it when it was there.           So i said to the others "did you see what i just saw?' to which James said yes. So i asked what that was.  He then described exactly the same as what i had seen.  I didnt say a word about anything while it was happening as i was too busy watching it.  Steve who was also there didnt see anything at all and was unaware of anything.
We left very shortly after and went back to mine just down the road.
   I didnt feel scared at all when i saw it, more curious really although i am in no doubt it was demonic in nature.  It is what is known as an Elemental .  These sightings are never common,in fact they are very rare indeed, but there are recoreded sightings of these things all over the british isles.         I hope this all doesnt sound too wierd for some boarders.Take the piss if you like , but i know what i am talking about.  
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Byron Virgo

Actually, that was probably some sort of woodland animal - should be able to work out what it was by which the colour their eyes glowed in the dark.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapetum_lucidum" target="_blank">tapetum lucidum

Peter Wolf

Yes thanks for that as that is the logical conclusion for someone to arrive at.  This is not the case this time, as this was as i said something supernatural .believe it or not.take it or leave it.       I am not the type who would make this stuff up .I will try and find you some more information as this is a recognised phenomena to those in the know.  google "black Dogs" and you can look for yourself although one website was down the other night when i tried to look.I am going to try again now.
                                                        regards.
                                                                        Peter.

Peter Wolf

This account is actually going to be published on a website . I would hardly be doing that if i wasnt certain about the validity of this sighting.      I will provide the link to the website shortly.    I have a lot of experience in this sort of thing .

As a slightly sad side story, one of those present [james], who i used to know at school,always was slightly odd, slowly went a bit mad in the end in the years that followed this sighting. He was psycic which i had no doubt about,but he became more and more involved in occult wierdness of which there is a lot of in Hastings.   I have always stayed away from anything like that although i do know a bit about it.   So anyway i would see James sometimes in the town looking like a dirty tramp.A complete mess.  On the final time that i saw James , i went to where he lived which was a dirty bedsit.  The whole room was full of stuff from floor to ceiling ,and he kept 3 hamsters in cages, it was a bit like being in some wierd pet shop and it stank as James never opened any windows. He hasnt been seen by anyone for a while now [3-4 years]so noone knows what has happened.  He may even be dead or something or sectioned.  Who knows.  very sad as before he lost the plot he was one of the most interesting peole i knew.    I may try to contact his family  maybe or i may just let it go.   Allegedly the Black Dogs precede death or misfortune.    I cant say for sure.

Peter Wolf

As a further aside to my last post if anyone is intersted still  I mentioned that if you see a black Dog according to folklore it is a bringer of death. I dont know why i am telling you all this but i hope at least someone here is taking this seriously.    Well,my older brother died about 2 years later on of a very rare form of cancer that normally only very young children usually get.This was incredibly rare in an adult  and in his case was incurable.

I am not saying that there was a connection between the two events but you never know. Perhaps there was a coorellation at the most.       I personally dont believe in curses as they can be broken simply if you dont believe they can have any effect anyway.

Is there anyone here who is open minded?

Please reveal yourselves if you are.

Peter Wolf

I just looked up "black Shuck" on Wikipedia as that is the famous black dog you must have heard of.

There was a section mentioning black shuck in books + music etc.

They namechecked a strip in 2000ad comic called London Falling which featured a character that was a black dog.

Does this ring any bells?   I know of it not as i probably wasnt reading it at the time.

By a bizarre coincidence the next book referenced ,The Runton Werewolf ,features "gronks",a race of friendly shapeshifting aliens apparently.

Peter Wolf

my brother did have a good send off though.   we had a wake at his favourite pub with all his friends . We paid the pub 2,500 quid so everyone could drink themselves stupid and enjoy themselves .

Mardroid

I'm pretty open minded about these things. As to whether or not it was supernatural, I can't say but I think it is possible.

If it was truly twice the size of a rotweiller, then it isn't any known kind of predatory woodland animal in the British isles. The largest are probably foxes. I knew a guy who reckoned he saw a wolf in Wales once but I'm not convinced that was the case as wild wolves are supposed to have died out a long time ago in Britain.  Also this particular guy was renowned for his tall stories. Besides wolves don't grow that big.

I suppose for size it could have been a larger dog like a great Dane, but the description you give doesn't seem much like one of those. Are you sure the red eyes weren't a reflection though? Were you shining torches towards it?

As for strange large animals, I have heard tales of large cats seen throughout Britain. I haven't heard of large black dogs until now, but I don't see why not!

As for your friends madness, I think it's more likely to do with his experimentation with the occult rather than seeing the beast. If you meddle and invite such things into your life it can cause problems including demonic possession. I've reason to believe demons could be real, even from first hand experience.

I don't think just seeing a large animal, even if it is supernatural (which I'm not discounting by the way) would cause you harm though. Not unless you allow it to, i.e. by allowing fear or superstition to rule you.

It's all rather interesting.

Commiserations concerning your brother, but I doubt it was related to the creature you saw.

Peter Wolf

Many many thanks for your reply and your understanding.

I cant stay up much longer so i will keep this short for now.

When we went for the walk we didnt have torches as it wasnt really necessary and i dont bother with them most of the time so that rules out that possibility.I see fairly well in the dark anyway.  .We werent going out looking for ghosts either it was just a walk to the field. I always try to cover all the angles so that i am not getting carried away .

I have to relate another incident that happened at the same place a long while before in about 1980 i think.  This really does get very strange.   I was walking in the woods  and went to the same place as i went there often.  I was on the opposite side of the field heading towards the pond .It was spring and all the leaves had just come out.there were lots of quite thin trees all around.It was afternoon and there seemed to be no one around.   All of a sudden someone appeared straight in front as if they were waiting hiding among the trees. I didnt hear any sounds at all from them.This person was very peculiar indeed.   He was wearing a long black coat,a sort of wide black hat ,a white shirt with one of those neckties that you always see in westerns.In fact his whole look was from another century.   His face was almost completely white,with some sort of beard that was quite neat.  And a stare that i never want to ever see again as i froze on the spot when he appeared out of nowhere.    I stood there for about 2 minutes with this thing just standing staring.       In the end i turned and ran into the woods.I knew them well and knew how to get away quickly.           It makes me shiver a bit just writing this now.  

Peter Wolf

I forgot to say that i am not superstitous at all as it is a bit of a waste of time and a lot of it is rubbish and i certainly dont live in fear of it.

I knew of the superstitious associations with black dogs but i never gave it much thought at all anyway.It is only now looking back that i was thinking that there may have been a connection.     It is very very important that if you have these kinds of experiences that you do keep a firm hold on reality as i wouldnt be taken seriously otherwise or as serious as can be expected anyway.     All i do is report the facts.  nothing less   .I am hypersensitive,these things happen sometimes, i dont choose this,i just live with it,and sometimes its not nice,but i am glad i am anyway.  

I should have said i was this instead of psycic, as there are plenty of nutcases and frauds who claim to be psycic.  I want nothing at all to do with these types as they give the word a bad name and i dont want the association.

As for occult and occultists,you are definatly right about that one. I do take it seriously and dark forces do exist the same as any other.  White magic is ok perhaps but i dont even want to go near that either.

There is a witchcraft shop here with a coven of witches who are connected to it and run it .A friend knows them too.Needless to say i dont even go in this shop as again i dont get a good feeling from it and wont go in no matter what.        If i had my way i would close it down.These people dont understand what they are dealing with and they may learn the hard way.They are far worse than any cult i can think of.

I live in sussex and there is a place called Alfriston.It is a very pretty village next to the downs here.  It is almost too pretty in fact,because whenever i am there i pick up on some very dark undercurrents.It is relativly famous for having 2 seperate covens of witches there.     I was there once when i went into one of the pubs there which is very olde wolde to look at but there is something not right about it.  I went in there to get something to eat once and it was like that scene in American Werewolf in london at the beginning on the moors.  The woman who ran the pub who was behind the bar seemed to not like me at all and was quietly hostile when i went in.   I didnt like the look of her at all and funny enough her she had a very nasty look in her eye and didnt like the look of me either.The feeling was mutual.   The eyes never lie and i always read people this way as they are the window to the soul.   I would take a guess now and say that she was a principal member of one of the covens and she read me as well and realised that i was coming from the opposite path so to speak. that being the light and not the darkness as was the case with her. She seemed to feel threatened the second that she saw me and perhaps recognised that i was powerful in that respect.   Needless to say i left immediatly and have never been back to alfriston since.  

We did however have to go somewhere else to try and eat and drink so we ended up going to the quintessential english tea rooms and sat in the garden as it was summer.    Anyway we were served tea by an 18 year old redhead girl who was quite pretty and innocent.    I started a conversation with her and it turned out that she had moved here from southern ireland of all places.So i asked what had bruoght her here and she looked slightly uncomfortable and didnt really say why in particular as she wasnt sure herself.    Maybe i am being fanciful, but she was most probably a virgin and you and i both know what that could mean.[and i dont mean the obvious!!]    You just dont know what goes on beneath the surface sometimes as people are very wierd creatures indeed sometimes.
               How many other young girls have they invited over?  She had no family here at all.

If you want to know how i am so certain about seeing the dog even though it was dark i can explain a bit. The description i gave is accurate to the T  but i forgot to say that there was a slight glow around it that was slightly orangy and not bright but subtle. I cant describe it any better than that.   Also curiously for some reason i dont understand yet, while watching it i was somehow visually able to zoom in on it like a zoom lens except it ws my eyesight doing it and nothing else.      Its very odd and i dont understand it at all so your guess is as good as mine here. i just seem to do it sometimes.      For the record i am short sighted in the left eye but only a bit but the right eye is perfect.   I dont need glasses either as i had an eye test recently when i got a tiny bit of metal in my eye from grinding metal at work that had to be removed.  They never said that my eyesite was poor in any way as i could read almost to the smallest lines.          

From what i read once some large cat species can do this zooming in business but i cant confirm it                

Best regards.
                                                                 Peter.

ThryllSeekyr

Yesterday morning, I tried to post a few of my own ideas on Shape-shifters and what I think the beast with orange eyes might have been.

Though, for some strange reason, the little smiley face in the box talk longer to appear and I clicked on another topic and lost the whole thing. The post was pretty long and I couldn't be bothered retyping the whole thing. So I just left it.

Anyway, So I took a small piece of what I wrote and applied it to both stories you have submitted.

You weren't drunk or under the influence of drugs at the time, were you? The most common explanation, whether you have been mixing pain killers with alcohol or eating red and white polka dotted mushrooms.( I'm not suggesting you do this by the way as it can be fatal.) With particular regards to werewolves, were-cats and elements, ghosts etc. During the dark-ages in Europe, the peasants  who were forced to farm in the lowlands where the ground was more damp.
Quite often having to make do with eating black fungus encrusted wheat. Which would have hallucinogenic effects on them.

Now one misconception about Wolves in general was that they were more active on nights of the half, three-quarter and full moon nights because these people only ever went outside on these nights because of the extra light. When it's probably true that wolves were active just about every night. Because they weren't effected one way or the other by the fuller face of the bright moon. Hunting as they had a far superior sense of smell and hearing. They would be out every-night and howling at the moon when it was full.

Combining these two ideas. Now these peasant farmers who having just eaten their fill of hallucinogens will go outside to gaze at the Fuller moon and in it's half light, as the drugs kick in. They would notice the wolf shapes on the edge of the forest appearing much larger than normal and perhaps more manlike. The sounds forest would seem much louder as another side effect.

There it is, one or two of my many explanations.
 another much simpler one would be that somebody with enough special effects know-how is following you around with their bag of tricks.

The person you said you saw in the woods who was dressed like they came from another time period could very well have been a goth-punk ( This would explain the pale complexion.) walking through the woods on their way to fancy dress ( This would explain the weird dress sense.) party.

You said he appeared almost out of nowhere like
a phantom or apparition. Perhaps they're a professional burglar practicing subdefuge.

I always like to imagine all the mundane and
boring reasons for something strange before excepting more the bizarre ones.

I actually have a pet theory about the proven existence of ghost sightings. But only if they are true sightings and are not of people or were identified as somebody who existed. Particular the balls and whirls of lights responsible for poltergeist activity.

I think this is evidence of time-travel. The ghosts and similar phenomenon are the disembodied form of other people time-travelling back and forth. This why it is necessary that these ghost aren't the real ghost of people that were well known such as Elvis or a person that was just known by you. It would spoil my theory.

I had originally arrived at this whilst reading Michael Crichton's 'Time-Line' While the movie was in circulation. His idea was a machine that can break a object/living thing down to their atomic particles ( Or whatever is the lowest common denominator.) so small that they fell though the fabric of time. A wormhole to medieval Europe. ( I'm assuming they moved through space by the earths rotation without leaving the ground.) Those scientists were only trying to make a teleporter. So that they could speed up shipment of goods. The time-travel thing was very big side-effect.

This is where I thought that if this is Michael Crichton's idea of plausible fiction then why not this. If a body needed to be broken-down or physically obliterated to allow this to happen then what would be left of the person who's bodies been destroyed without killing them. A soul like what we believe a ghost to be or coded information the remains of a broken down living thing floating on the ether, barely perceived as opaque shade of their former self.

Another thing that I had read in one of the first Terry Pratchett Disc-world Novels ( some more plausible fiction.) that his idea of ghost was that they  were spirits who are only
connected to time they were born through their physical body. Once they die, their spirit  unhinges with the physical world and they begin to exist in every moment. To quote from ' Lure of the Wyrm'
'The Colour of Magic' The undead ruler of the Wyrmberg was saying to Two-Flower 'You see, one of the advantages of being dead is that one is released, as it were, from the normal bonds of time.' 'I can see everything that has happened or will happen, all at the same time. 'Imagine every moment being at one and the same time a distant memory and a nasty surprise.'.

This way a dis-embodied person can fly or float through the ages tuning in at a earlier time or in the future. The time-travelling spirit might appear as one of those balls of light. It may take the form of as it's own ghost when it is landing or has stopped time-traveling.

One of the things I didn't quite get from the 'Time-line' novel was that how did the people who time-jumped regain their physical bodies if they were destroyed when they left. They could take their physical selves with them because when the the machine zapped them they were reduced to code which would fall through the wyrm hole reappearing at the other end. In the movie they came out in the middle of a river. So I think their code wrote itself on to volumes of water remaking their physical bodies. It's like, isn't a large percentage of our bodies already made from water. I've heard that somewhere, but it doesn't sound right to me. I would like to think that out bodies are made from the other elements as well. That would be Earth, Air and Fire or as the Far Eastern Mystics would have it Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal. As well as Water. Still doesn't sound right. Though it does sound better. This is what I call plausible fiction.  

Sorry if it doesn't make sense to you.

It could be assumed that these disembodied spirits who have time-traveled very far or have tuned into another time will need to find a body or vessel to possess to stay anchored there. This could also explain demonic possession as well as time travel.

What if they were only able to take hold of the body of a animal, such as a wild cat or wolf.

Think about that.

I think this whole thing here has swung back to the legends of Werewolves and other shape-shifters.
They are really disembodied time-travellers reassuming some of their substantial form by merging with what ever predatory animal is available nearby.

Suddenly animals with a disembodied humans code being written on them may almost assume the form of that person or go halfway looking like a human-animal hybrid.

But this is only fiction.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBUhAoJWag&NR=1" target="_blank">I wouldn't tr this with a real werewolf.

SmallBlueThing

"This person was very peculiar indeed. He was wearing a long black coat,a sort of wide black hat ,a white shirt with one of those neckties that you always see in westerns.In fact his whole look was from another century. His face was almost completely white,with some sort of beard that was quite neat. And a stare that i never want to ever see again"

Are you sure this was 1980? because that could well have been me. If it was about 1989, I'd say very probably me. I lived (and now again live) in Hastings and that description is me down to a 't'- or at least, how I was at the time. Look harder, and a whole bunch of us were probably there, gothing it up like beelzebub hisself. We used to hang around those parts all the time.

As for the black dog thing- it's not the first time I've heard stories of that kind of beastie around here. It's a nice story, and that's about all it is, I think.

As for mental illness being caused by "dabbling with the occult" and "demonic possession"- please! This is 2007. That kind of reactionary, ignorant bollocks went out with witch-burning. mental illness is a terribly serious business that affects a huge percentage of the population at one time or another. Please don't cheapen it with such utter, utter garbage.

Steev

Peter Wolf

Hi there i enjoyed your postvery much as it was very interesting.

Just to confirm it i wasnt on anything at all and maybe i may have had a small joint but certainly not at the time and no drink either to speak of.  All these factors have been ruled out.  i am 100 percent certain of what i saw.    Also no sounds were heard at all as i have acute hearing and i am very noise sensitive as well.   the " person " also was not of this worldas we know it either. This was something else but who or what it was i just dont know apart from the fact they had some sort of association with the site

Going back to the place in question,this whole area in the woods just feels very old and sacred.  whenever i am there i feel like i am in another time that is somehow timeless. I can feel it in the air all around there and was very fortunate to grow up there as it was perfect for me. The woods were my second home as the house we lived in was surrounded by them mostly. It was this particular place that had the attraction for me.   The Black Pond that i mentioned earlier is in my opinion some sort of "gateway" and was probably a sacred place of worship by pagans at some point, particularly with the oak trees being planted in a circle.    The pond may take the odd life now and again to satisfy itself.     Even from qiuite young age,i always kept clear of it as i felt danger from it.    It was always dead still and the water was black due to the decomposing leaves etc that build up in the water,a bit like loch Ness.  No one ever had any idea how deep it was as you couldnt see.     Just not a place to swim at all under any circumstances at all.It was fed by a spring that you could drink from.     .....................there are tracks either side of it that are possibly prehistoric and also these woods in particular are one of the very last remnents of the wealden forests that would have covered the area.   It is all protected now and can never be disturbed by development

There is also evidence of iron age habitation in this field as well and i should think that the history of it goes back a lot further.   I feel both of these things are linked to this site in particular.     The "person" i saw was curious looking in the sense that the skin on their face was drawn so tightly over their face that they looked skull like as if they were suffering from malnutrition as well as the very unhealthy looking complexion .I have just never seen anything like it since.     It wasnt someone playing tricks either i am sure.  I got the curious feeling of time and everything just stopping as there was no sound at all and nothing moving. This correlates with some of what you said as well so i think there may be a connection there.

Peter Wolf

Just to give you an idea on what it is like being "sensitive'"   this might explain it a bit.

quite a few years ago there was a very unpleasent incident that involved a vicar going missing locally.[in hastings]    No one knew anything at the time as to what happened but it concluded with a straight forward murder case.      The point is this.    I visited a certain place or rather walked very close to it, when very suddenly i started to feel very sick indeed. just out of nowhere. I hadnt eaten or drunk anything and felt fine up until then.   I didnt actually throw up as i managed not to as i just kept walking, the further away i got from this place ,the feeling of being sick eased off bit by bit.         It turned as i found out  that this was the place where the various parts of the vicar were found concealed in the woods.  The case was closed then as it turned out to be some deranged teenager who committed the murder.              I have had reactions to places like this on other occaisons as well so there must be something in it.      I dont choose this stuff, it just happens.

Mardroid

"As for mental illness being caused by "dabbling with the occult" and "demonic possession"- please! This is 2007. That kind of reactionary, ignorant bollocks went out with witch-burning. mental illness is a terribly serious business that affects a huge percentage of the population at one time or another. Please don't cheapen it with such utter, utter garbage."

Since that post seems directed at me let me respond. Politely. First of all, let me say that I know that mental illness is a serious problem and I'm not saying that all mental illnesses are caused by demonic possession.  (That being said I wouldn't be surprised if what some doctors think of as a mental illness, such as MPD/DID for example, was in fact demonic possession. I think the mind is to robust to just splinter into separate personalities by itself, but that's just my opinion, and I accept I might be wrong.) I'm also aware that in the past people were very superstitious, and that innocent women (and others) tragically died because they were wrongly accused of being a witch.

However, as I said, I have reasons to believe that demons do exist, and being involved in the occult is still a dangerous thing to do.  By 'reason', I'm not talking about superstition and my own imagination. I'm talking about things I've actually seen. I've seen people who have apparently been demon possessed, or if not possessed have been in some other difficulty due to a spiritual matter. No doubt, a doctor or scientist seeing them would assume they were suffering from mental illness, but when you investigated their background, they had often been involved in some kind of occult activity, like Ouija board or spiritualism, or they might have visited a witch doctor for treatment. In short I wasn't just spouting stuff off the top of my head from my own imagination.

Even if you don't believe demons are involved, the fact that such activities could cause a mental illness means it's probably best to keep away from such activities.

And for someone to accuse another of 'reactionary ignorant bollocks' because they believe in something you do not is surely a rather ignorant close-minded reaction in itself. Not to mention down right rude. How do you know it's not true? Do you know other peoples experiences?  I accept my interpretation of events might have been wrong, but I'm open minded either way. Yes I know it's 2007 now, but believe me, 'modern materialistic views' are often just as ignorant as they are enlightened.

Peter Wolf- glad to hear you're not superstitious about the black dog and as such I'm sure it won't affect you. (I hope you understand I wasn't accusing you of that just stating that I didn't think seeing it in itself would cause you or your family harm.)

That stranger you bumped into? He didn't answer to the name 'Roland' by any chance? (You'll have to have read Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' books to get that one. ;) ) Maybe that area of woodland is a thin place.

I find all this all rather interesting anyway.