Main Menu

2000AD SIGNING, MARCH 21ST, FORBIDDEN PLANET MEGASTORE, LOND

Started by +rufus+, 16 March, 2009, 01:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Sounds pretty cool CF! Nice idea taking a bunch of trading cards along to get signed, easier than an armful of books. Good photos, but no captions - any chance of putting names to the faces for those top two? I wouldn't recognise an art droid if I passed one in the street (well apart from the Mighty Carlos E and Rufus with his tats!)

Proudhuff

great report there...

aaaagh! The Spice of Life... used to drink there before setting off to the Dirtbox or the Wag... a mist of Nostalgia descends!
DDT did a job on me

COMMANDO FORCES

As we can't alter stuff after 5 minutes I'll post, as requested, the two line up pictures with the droids names below here.

Left to right, David Bishop, Brendan McCarthy, Dan Abnett, Matt Smith, Tony Lee, Rufus, Al Ewing & Si Spurrier.

And the last two are Henry Flint & Simon Davis.

Buttonman

Dandontdare

Cheers! I think I'm a little bit scared of Simon Davies :shock:

Bolt-01

Don't fear Simon- the man is lovely! And he gives possibly the finest sketches around.

Grant Goggans

I, Cosh

Nice pics and sketches, but surely that litlle lad's never Tharg?!
Quote from: "Grant Goggans"Pete reminds me that Englishmen treat a hundred miles like it's some kind of great distance the same way us Americans think a hundred years is some kind of long time.   :P
Actually, I'm suddenly curious.  I know y'all have inter-city rail, which we don't in this part of the country.  How much does it cost to get a train down to London and back?  Is it crazy expensive to do that?
Somebody could (and probably has) write a thesis about these different cultural attitudes to distance. My daily commute is almost 50 miles. This isn't that uncommon (Glasgow to Edinburgh), but it elicits a comment any time it comes up in conversation while it would probably seem unremarkable to an American.

One thing to consider is that the UK has one-fifth the population of the US (60 million) in an area very slightly bigger than Georgia and South Carolina. Things simply aren't as spread out; a US town of the same population will tend to be an order of magnitude larger in area. There are, therefore, a lot more people, places and things a lot closer to home. Travelling further afield, to Manchester say (3 hours) or London (5) becomes more of a big deal and generally requires more of reason for doing it. Mass car ownership didn't really happen until much later and we still don't cope with it very well. Travel links between most big cities are pretty good, but you really have to book in advance: a quick check shows that an off-peak return to London, leaving tomorrow, would cost £108 but I know I could get it for far less if I booked a few weeks ahead.

Also, a gallon of petrol costs over seven dollars at today's exchange rates.

NB All half-baked theories above are my own.
We never really die.

Grant Goggans

SEVEN?!  Holy anna.  It got up to $4 in Atlanta after the storms last year and people were out for blood.  Like, police protection for tanker trucks mad.  It's like $1.89 a gallon unleaded today.  I remain, however, amazed by the cost of travelling by train.  I honestly thought that'd be cheaper.

I dunno, I'm clearly the wrong person to even inquire.  I drove a four-hour round trip a few years back for a chili dog, so don't mind me.

Kerrin

Great photos CF. So that's what they look like. I don't know, I was expecting Si Davis to be a cravat man myself. It looks like a good time was had by all. And you got yourself some class sketches as well. Result.

Four hours for a chilidog Grant? Them's serious munchies young man.

BPP

WARNING - TONY LEE COMMENT COMING:

[spoiler:1gf7lp8l]cor.... tony lee's a bit of sex innit.[/spoiler:1gf7lp8l]
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Grant Goggans

The scrambled dog of Dinglewood Pharmacy, Columbus, Georgia is no ordinary chili dog:

Mmmm-mmm.   :D

Martin Jameson

That Chilli dog looks fantastic!

I would travel 4 miles for a Philly Cheese Steak.

stacey

Lovely write up there, and I really love to see peoples sketches even though I fume with jealousy.   :D

Kerrin

That is a very serious chilidog Grant. Very serious indeed. Did you have dessert?

The most I have ever eaten in one sitting was at a Shoneys in Tennessee. All you can eat breakfast buffet, me and my mate Rich Remington (of Ohio),first one to cry uncle was a puff, we ate ourselves to a food induced stupor and had to spend the rest of the day recovering in a bar. I'd never seen anything like it. I don't think the waitresses had either. I won, but it was a hollow victory, though hollow isn't the best term to describe our state. I swear I could hear my own ribs creaking as I waddled out of the restaurant. Happy days.