Main Menu

Review of Big Finish's JD - Wanted Dredd or Alive and SD - Down to Earth

Started by RJMooreII, 19 September, 2010, 10:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJMooreII

I recently acquired three Big Finish audio plays, and just tonight listened to two of them: Judge Dredd - Wanted Dredd or Alive and Strontium Dog - Down to Earth. This'll be a brief review because I want to leave any spoilers out of it - especially as these are all-new stories, and not adaptations.

The basic voice work and recording quality is good, no problems on that front. The choices for voice actors and the accents the voice actors put on are all effective without making it hard to understand them. I especially enjoyed Toby Longworth as Dredd, who came out sounding about like how I imagine Dredd in my head.

The sound effects were good, though at times they could be a bit overwhelming. I was always able to understand the dialog over them, but sometimes I had to strain a wee bit. Overall, though, well done.

As far as the stories themselves, I basically guessed the story of Wanted - Dredd or Alive about 1/3rd or so into it, but there was enough actual content within the story that it was still enjoyable to finish. I found Strontium Dog - Down to Earth's finish both surprising and satisfying, a twist at the end that wasn't pulled out of someone's ass.

Overall, good quality. If you enjoy radio dramas I highly recommend them.
I ♥ VIOLENCE