Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Rampage

Ok, it's a film, starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson titled Rampage. So you know what to expect.
It's clichéd, badly written, badly plotted (of what plot there is), not well acted but, and this is the rub, never dull.
There are some good set pieces, of which the movie is based around, and it's entirely predictable, and yet it's still mindless, popcorn fun.

If you like Godzilla (the old ones), or Pacific Rim, then you'll like this (just). Otherwise, stay away.

It's the epitome of a popcorn film. Loud, brash and lots of shit gets trashed and very few people get killed (although those that do go, go in a very gory way for a 12A).

Like Godzilla films? 5.5 /10
Hate Godzilla Films? 2/10

Colin Zeal

I saw Ready Player One on Friday night and I knew I was in for a bad time once i saw the trailer. My partner loves the book and insisted that I read it and I didn't know how to tell her that it was the biggest pile of toss i have read in ages. And I have read a lot of terrible books; not only have I read Bravo Two Zero more than once, I have read just about every other book on the topic. I know a shit book when I read one. I wasn't expecting much from the film because it's hard to make a terrible source material into a non-existent film. Basically I didn't like the book and even though I have forgotten what I was on about I didn't like the film either.

Dandontdare

Ah, the things we do for love

von Boom

Quote from: Colin Zeal on 15 April, 2018, 12:10:26 AM
I saw Ready Player One on Friday night and I knew I was in for a bad time once i saw the trailer. My partner loves the book and insisted that I read it and I didn't know how to tell her that it was the biggest pile of toss i have read in ages. And I have read a lot of terrible books; not only have I read Bravo Two Zero more than once, I have read just about every other book on the topic. I know a shit book when I read one. I wasn't expecting much from the film because it's hard to make a terrible source material into a non-existent film. Basically I didn't like the book and even though I have forgotten what I was on about I didn't like the film either.

I enjoyed the book for what it was. A nostalgic trip through my nerd youth. As science fiction though it's tosh. I wanted to see the film initially, but have been reticent about it since it came out. I'm glad I didn't since I'm hearing more and more how awful it really is. I've now relegated down to a Netflix viewing.

Mattofthespurs

I enjoyed the book for the same reasons von Boom cited, and I thought the film was ok.
Not great but not bad either.

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Hitman's Bodyguard on Netflix.

Really enjoyable tosh.
Lock up your spoons!

abelardsnazz

A Quiet Place. Really liked this. A great idea and maintained a high level of tension throughout. Nicked ideas from a few other films, but it's getting harder not to do that. Highly entertaining.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 16 April, 2018, 05:58:09 PM
The Hitman's Bodyguard on Netflix.

Really enjoyable tosh.

I hated this so hard. So very, very hard.

abelardsnazz

Rampage. Some films defy any intellectualisation and this is one. Mostly terrible dialogue, wanton destruction and Jeffery Dean Morgan enjoying chewing the scenery as a Negan-lite government agent. An absolute guilty pleasure which I enjoyed immensely.

abelardsnazz

Forgot to mention it's like a mash-up of King Kong and Godzilla.

The Enigmatic Dr X

FFS, guys, not only does Rampage star the Rock but it's based on an arcade game. What did you expect?

It was an 80s arcade game.Which Warner Bros have made free to play on t'internet, right here:

http://game.rampagethemovie.com/arcade/

I think that may give more minutes of fun than the movie.
Lock up your spoons!

Blue Cactus

I used to play Rampage on my Atari ST. A lot.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Annihilation Spoilers:

https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/984198334129717248

[spoiler]
yikes, I didnt notice a lot of that detail at the time, definitely human DNA in there eh![/spoiler]

Eamonn Clarke

Ghost Stories

Effective British portmanteau horror with some good jump scares and splendid performances by Andy Nyman, Paul Whitehouse, Martin Freeman, and everyone's favourite disturbed teenager Alex Lawther.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 17 April, 2018, 08:26:36 PM
It was an 80s arcade game.Which Warner Bros have made free to play on t'internet, right here:

http://game.rampagethemovie.com/arcade/

Had totally forgotten the arcade game, wasted some quality insomniac hours on that last night!