Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 September, 2018, 10:21:57 AM
Of the odds only VII:G is really without any merit - even IX:I is okay if you like the visual style of Xena and Hercules.  Of the evens XII: ID and X:N are so bad they never happened.

Generations has no merit? - strongly disagree!.

In order, my list (today at least, it changes, and not counting the reboots) would be

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996)
Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (1979)
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991)
Star Trek VII: Generations (1994)
Star Trek IX: Insurrection (1998)
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (1989)
Star Trek X: Nemesis (2002)

TordelBack

Other than absolutely beautifully lit views of the Enterprise D interiors,  and maybe the modelwork in the crash sequence, what has Generations ever done for us?  Other than feck just about everything up.

Its central failing is summed up for me in the scene where Picard just casually chucks his Kurlan naiskos down in the rubble of his cabin: it appropriates the elements of two great series, horribly misuses them and then discards them. Ugh I say.  UGH.

(I am not insensible to the irony of a fan of The Last Jedi taking this stance).

Hawkmumbler

Generations: Hey kids, do you love Kirk? Well he's dead now. All your heroes are dead now. Buy our merchandise.

TordelBack

Heh! And no-one did... 

Missed Sharky's I:TMP comment.  No need to have an opinion on this one,  it's just a really lovely screen-saver.  It worked out much better when they remade it as TNG.

wedgeski

Okay let's do this. My list:

Khan: Nothing needs to be said. To Star Trek as Empire is to Star Wars.
Search for Spock: Brilliant, underrated, see above.
Insurrection: My favourite TNG movie, a simple morality tale in Star Trek prose.
Generations: Many fine qualities, but not, I think, what everyone was looking for from the first TNG movie.
Undiscovered Country: Bought ticket with great trepidation. Ended up loving it.
Voyage Home: Enjoyable plonk. Can't stand the score though.
Motion Picture: I like this more than most. I remember my dad's loud gasp of amazement when the new Enterprise went to warp speed for the first time. The extended cut is really good too.
First Contact: I rate this lower than most. Looks great, sounds great, lots to enjoy, but I simply can't get over the plot contrivances.
Nemesis: Far from a classic, but does it deserve so much derision?
Final Frontier: Utter crap. Even if the plot is kind of okay, the sub-par VFX (and that's being kind) are unforgivable in a Star Trek film.

TordelBack

Pardon me for the textual diarrhea,  I'm having a bad case of work avoidance.

One of the things that I love about ST:Beyond is that it quite explicitly sets out to stop The Motion Picture from ever happening in the Kelvin timeline: that's essentially the plot. At the beginning we're just at the point in the 5-Year mission where TOS ended: we discover Kirk is considering a promotion to a desk job and Spock is about to leave Starfleet.  The film is about them finding reasons not to end up where they all did in TMP. 

I do like TMP,  but it's a lot of work.

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 September, 2018, 10:00:44 PM
Tales from the Crypt (1972) and The Vault of Horror (1973)

That the 'Double Feature' Blu-ray, Hawk?
Picked it up a few months ago cheaply enough on Amazon, a collection essential.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 September, 2018, 10:07:01 AM

Kirk v. God

Classic oxymoron.

JamesC

I enjoy all of the original cast Star Trek films, you just have to be in the right mood to watch them. TMP is a great Sunday afternoon with a pot of tea and some biscuits cozy adventure. I think IV May be my favourite - it's pretty weak in many ways but it's so enjoyable and fun.
Probably my least favourite is First Contact. The reason being that the Borg Queen is such a terrible idea. And I wish the emotion chip had never been invented - it ruins Data in the TNG films.

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 27 September, 2018, 11:48:33 AM
Probably my least favourite is First Contact.

I accept almost all of the criticism for First Contact, but 10 seconds of footage of The Defiant taking on a Borg Cube buys you a free pass to most rides in my carnival.

The Legendary Shark

I love First Contact because... James Cromwell.

Also, Picard's rant.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

I don't like James Cromwell much either!

Steve Green

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 September, 2018, 11:19:02 AM
Pardon me for the textual diarrhea,  I'm having a bad case of work avoidance.

One of the things that I love about ST:Beyond is that it quite explicitly sets out to stop The Motion Picture from ever happening in the Kelvin timeline: that's essentially the plot. At the beginning we're just at the point in the 5-Year mission where TOS ended: we discover Kirk is considering a promotion to a desk job and Spock is about to leave Starfleet.  The film is about them finding reasons not to end up where they all did in TMP. 

I do like TMP,  but it's a lot of work.

The whole JJ Abrams wanting to exclude TOS from licensing and make all the new tat 'his' stuff was interesting.

I love TMP extended cut, just wish they'd thought ahead/had the budget and done the new CGI at a higher resolution for HD.

TordelBack

One of the problems with FC is that the guest stars (Cromwell,  Woodward and Krige) just work so much better than the rest of the cast,  who are forced into relationships and behaviours that make very little sense for their characters. Stewart (and his rants) is great too,  but he's playing an entirely different person to TNG's Picard. Aside from being driven mad by revenge (what?), this version is apparently Data's bessie mate despite probably having less of a relationship with him than almost any of the TNG crew.

The scene where Beverley defends Picard's insane course of action to Lily,  it's a great line,  but who is this person?  Etc.

It's a good action film,  gorgeous looking,  and the Cochrane subplot is great fun, but in order to get where it wants to go everyone and everything have to be changed out of recognition  - even the Borg.

But I can almost forgive all of that for Marina Sirtis' magnificent drunk acting. A priceless scene.

Dandontdare

now that DOES sound like a Last Jedi criticism - these are not the same people preserved in amber as they were years ago, they have grown and developed. Picard has become darker and broodier, I found their characterisations in FC much more mature, nuanced and believable (apart from data's emotion chip, which was just silly). Picard was always data's biggest champion, taking a close interest in his development and sticking up for him when Riker, Worf etc used to get frustrated at his androidisms - only Geordi could be said to be closer, so I didn't find their relationship in FC at all odd.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 September, 2018, 11:43:52 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 26 September, 2018, 10:00:44 PM
Tales from the Crypt (1972) and The Vault of Horror (1973)

That the 'Double Feature' Blu-ray, Hawk?
Picked it up a few months ago cheaply enough on Amazon, a collection essential.
The very same, currently £10 in Fopps Halloween sale. An essential addition indeed.