Main Menu

The language of Dredd

Started by Stu101, 11 February, 2011, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu101

Hey guys,

Anyone know if the language of Mega-City 1 finds it's way into the script (I hear the script is out there, but I'll be hearing it for the 1st time when I see the film cos I don't wanna spoil the story) but a few Drokks & Gruds would be great.

As for the Images that are out there I'm kinda excited, when I 1st saw basic automobiles as catchwagons I was somewhat miffed, but reading the various comments on here about this being the origins of Dredd hopefully it'll work.
I just hope there's some sort of grand scale to the films interpretation of
Mega-City 1, even if the main story doesn't travel that far from one city block.

Going to be a long wait...

S.

Spaceghost

I don't think there's any Dredd swearing in the script, lots of effing and jeffing though.

It may have changed in later drafts I suppose but I doubt it. We'll be getting real, proper swearing in the film.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

I'm firmly of the opinion that pretend swearing simply doesn't work when said aloud, and they definitely shouldn't use it in the film, BUT I'm also slightly uncomfortable with the idea of a 'proper' swearing-heavy Dredd movie....

On a related note, one of my pet hates with regards to Dredd (the comic) is when writers get too creative with the D word - Motherdrokker, go Drokk yorself etc etc. A one-off exclamation of 'DROKK!' is fine but anything else just doesn't seem right to me and is just a signal that John Wagner didn't write this particular script.

A broader swearing related pet-hate of mine is the use of swearing in videogames. Occasionally - very, very occasionally it's acceptable and lends authenticity, but at the moment it seems to me that games are in that phase like when you're at school and you realise that you can get away with swearing in short stories, so you fill all of your creative writing with expletives. It just comes across as immature and makes me cringe a little.

James Stacey

I'm with you on the over use of swearing Rads. I had an argument the other day with friends watching Sparticus Gods of the Arena. I argued the over use of fuck just didn't seem to sit well as it was totally unnecessary, especially with the lengths they had gone to write the script in a particular idiom. They argued it felt more authentic. Then Lucy Lawless' breasts came on screen and we stopped arguing.

I never felt the pretend swearing in Farscape distracted from the story and seemed to work well. OK so I didn't mind the muppets either so maybe I'm no judge.

HdE

Hmm. If there isn't at least one use of 'drokk' in the new Dredd movie, I'll be disappointed.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Buddy

Quote from: Stu101 on 11 February, 2011, 02:50:51 PM
Hey guys,

Anyone know if the language of Mega-City 1 finds it's way into the script (I hear the script is out there, but I'll be hearing it for the 1st time when I see the film cos I don't wanna spoil the story) but a few Drokks & Gruds would be great.

As for the Images that are out there I'm kinda excited, when I 1st saw basic automobiles as catchwagons I was somewhat miffed, but reading the various comments on here about this being the origins of Dredd hopefully it'll work.
I just hope there's some sort of grand scale to the films interpretation of
Mega-City 1, even if the main story doesn't travel that far from one city block.

Going to be a long wait...

S.

I don't think the film deals with Dredds origins.... the basic automobiles are there for budget reasons, not story reasons.

CYCLOPZ

I think that Grud works in the place of God though. I sometimes use that word - I think that wouldn't be to far out to use in the Film even though it wasn't in the draft that I read.

James Stacey

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 11 February, 2011, 03:57:10 PMI don't think the film deals with Dredds origins.... the basic automobiles are there for budget reasons, not story reasons.

Not strictly true either way. It's not an origins story, but it is set before or near the start of the run of comics. So the basic vehicles can be attributed to a slightly lower tech level.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 11 February, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
I'm firmly of the opinion that pretend swearing simply doesn't work when said aloud, and they definitely shouldn't use it in the film,

On the whole I'd agree, but I did once watch the first 3 seasons of BSG back to back and couldn't stop saying 'Frack it' for weeks! (and cutting the corners off all my papers)

Judge Palmer

Quote from: James Stacey on 11 February, 2011, 03:21:17 PM
Then Lucy Lawless' breasts came on screen and we stopped arguing.

Works everytime for me to but then I end up drooling on the carpet  :) :P
Creep broke the rules, he's doing time!

rattycole

There has got to be some Drokk's in it for Grud's sake  :lol:

nicklarr

Art

vzzbux

The language of Dredd?
Surely it will be English with an American accent.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SuperSurfer

"Grud on a Greenie!"

Can't stand use of "judged" as in "you have been judged". I swear that has appeared in the comic as a result of that film.

"I am the Law!" might've worked for me as a kid when uttered by a McMahon Dredd in the 70s but came over just plain silly in (you guessed it) that film.