Main Menu

Meg 310: The Cogs of War!

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 23 April, 2011, 01:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Got home tonight to find the Meg waiting for me- and then when I opened it I was even more happy! Tharg, in his infinite wisdom had used two of the covers from Zarjaz and Dogbreath that Nigel Dobbyn graciously drew for us! Top work Tharg!

I was surprised at Dredd- it didn't really seem to go anywhere. Think it might well benefit from being read in a single sitting and Staz' art was totally suited to this slice of M-C 1.

Numbercruncher has become my new top thrill, now that Insurrection has finished again.

A darn good Meg, methinks

strontium71

On the subject of Anderson being 50 but looking younger , bear in mind it is set 122 years in the future and she is also a super fit Judge.
While I agree she could be made to appear a little more mature , surely in the context of the strip , people will be younger looking both
physically and facially in the future?
...because I hate you.

SmallBlueThing

Despite lack of progs at this end of the country, the meg's all present and correct.

And it's a good one- top thrill this time is anderson. I've said im not the world's biggest fan of boo cook, but this one is gorgeous. Especially the helmeted anderson; something we dont see enough, and that full page of her screaming.

Next up, numbercruncher- still firing well. I want this as a trade when its finished, as its probably the cleverest thing running currently in the house of greenknob, and the one that'll benefit most from a reread.

Third is Insurrection; if all episodes had been this good id've rated it higher. Odd place to leave it though, if it's due to be collected. Two more books then, i take it?

Finally Dredd. Meh.

The features this time were as much value as the strippage, especially the swampy article. Made me want to dig out my floppies. I'll be buying the lovecraft book as soon as i see it.

And as for the flesh floppy- loved it. Havent read shamana in an age, and hugely amused throughout- typically crazed millsian concepts, and a lovely vein of anti-intellrctualism that i heartily endorse. Much fun and cant wait for the rest- though it saddens me that we're not getting this as a proper trade. Critchlow's art, though muddy and not particularly good on the humans, delivers some gorgeous dinos, so im mostly happy. And having telguuth in there too just put a big smile on my face- im a massive fan of these (and vector 13 , a similarly fandom-hated strip) and would happily pay good money for collected editions.

Best meg this year so far- but still suffering from an ugly cover design. New logo please, mr greenballs.

SBT

BPP

Sweet Baby Jebus - you people didn't like Dredd? It all tied up so nicely with all the plot strands coming into play (the barffing, the stoning) some sort of dedicated terrorist group emerging AND Hersey getting blow up in slow-mo heaven. Staz's artwork so many times beautifully captured a 'freeze frame' of time - the grenade at the two judges in particular. He needs ALOT more Dredd work. Dredd was EXCELLENT. Way better than what is being served up in the Prog of late.

And the rest? OUTSTANDING. Man alive 3 strips of prime-time-rib-stake-thrill-meat. Boo Cook's art is on another level (just look at the skin tones on the sector chief's face in the pg01 main panel... wow.)

The Prog this week was pretty top dollar but the comics in the Meg were truly fantastic.   
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Daveycandlish

Another corker of a Meg. Four great strips (I even like the latest Anderson. I wasn't a fan of the last storyline) and interesting articles even though I haven't read Swamp Thing in years and Dobbyn's art is from the years when I wasn't reading Tooth, it's always interesting to read about artists' careers.

Haven't read the Flesh story yet, but if it's got a Tale of Telguuth in there I'm sure I'll be a happy bunny
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

blixab

I enjoyed the Meg this month in the main apart from the finale of Insurrection. It just seemed like a bit of an anti climax considering there is meant to be a trade novel out towards the end of the year!

A great Numbercruncher episode and a good start to Anderson.

Even enjoyed reading the floppy this month which for me is unusual. When I started reading it, the story lines all came back as though it was only yesterday when I had last read those progs... The context was good as I had just read the trade of Flesh the previous day.

Large48

Big up the Minty reference!   ;)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Steve Green

Busted by Anderson, not a bad way to go, eh Large48?

Mikey

Just like with the prog, I'm back up to speed...

Dredd - That Staz fella's a bit good, isn't he? Wonderful stuff, full of energy and movement and a great gritty edge for MC1. I felt a wee bit disappointed too, I'd have taken another episode no problem, but it was maybe the hiatus meant the story lost a bit of momentum. I also feel it's groundwork for some future Hershey development. S'all good, mind.

Anderson - I'm loving this, I have to say, after thinking maybe she needed an extended rest. It feels like a really strong installment of what you'd maybe expect from an Anderson yarn, but Grud on a Greenie Boo Cook's art is on fire. The colouring alone is just magnificent - look at Anderson's cheek on the first page! - I spent a long time absorbing such wonderful work. Truly, we are blessed!

Numbercruncher - I really want to love this, but it's just not fully clicked for me. Don't misunderstand now, I like it ok and the creative team are usually winners round my way, but I find myself just not caring much about #494. I reckon a re read once the run's over might be in order...maybe I'm missing something.

Insurrection - Grudammit! Don't stop now!  >:( I really felt the tension in this - honestly can't say how this will ultimately resolve itself. I agree it's unlikley he'll push the button or that it'll somehow be undone, but I've a feeling he's in bad shape... Great work all round and an excellent 'new' strip which we need more of. Now.

Really enjoyed the articles and movie reviews too this month, but haven't read the floppie yet and might not. A great Meg - with a special mention to the artists as each strip is a joy to look at and worth the cover price alone!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Keef Monkey

This Insurrection cliffhanger is one instance where I think the fact it's running in the Meg takes away the tension a little. It's fantastic and I love it, but there's no chance he'll hit the button, because it would have too many repercussions in the prog. I guess the weekly Dredd could deal with it in some way (the whole disaster strikes and they can explain what went on in Insurrection in Dredd) but it could get messy. Very intrigued to see how it all pans out.

Pioneer

Insurrection cliffhanger = curve ball in my (sometimes over optimistic) opinion. I haven't read the first story as I jumped back on at the tail end of Tour Of Duty last year but I've seen the amount of love it had and the excitement this second installment generated when it was announced, also the fact that an Insurrection GN is to be released later this year leads me to believe (again maybe over optimistically) that we could be looking at another Dead Man / Necropolis type deal.

The button could be pressed over the next month or so, leading into this summers Dredd epic, with the man himself going into space to take on the rebels, no doubt running into the dodgy Psi SJS judge along the way, that type of thing. Throwing up more questions and doubts about Justice Dept, creating more threads for future stories etc

The fact that Insurrection is so highly regarded (and I'm in no doubt those at 2000ad take a great deal of notice of what's said here) and that part 2 has ended on such a cliffhanger (anti climax??), throwing in the trade release (which could be a lead in book to the epic that will come) brings me to this conclusion.

Now I'll take my over optimistic bullshine back to Lurkersville.....

BPP

you know given the baffling decision to put BKs I & II in a trade but only have one more BK that Dredd cross-over might have legs and explain how BK III might appear elsewhere. Or BK III is double-nay-triple length (hint hint).

He COULD hit the button and it just not do anything. Or it could blow up the magnetic mountain and down the plane to lead the Others to desert the island and to finally figure out they are all dead and its about moving on to another place with those you care about. Humans, Robots and gert big gorillas with guns. Amen.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Staz Johnson

Quote from: BPP on 29 April, 2011, 01:42:58 AMStaz's artwork so many times beautifully captured a 'freeze frame' of time - the grenade at the two judges in particular. He needs ALOT more Dredd work. Dredd was EXCELLENT. Way better than what is being served up in the Prog of late.

Thanks guys. I'm glad the month hiatus didn't spoil your enjoyment of the story too much.

Hoagy

Yeah , nice one Staz. Really enjoyed your artwork for this story.

And Boo is on form this Anderson story. I hope it goes into it a bit more and develops Cassandra some more too.

The Minty costumes fit the streets within the sheets too!
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Mikey

Quote from: Pioneer on 03 May, 2011, 07:49:57 PM
Now I'll take my over optimistic bullshine back to Lurkersville.....

No! Come back! Doesn't it feel liberating to bask in the sunlight?  :)

Anyway, I like your way of thinking on Insurrection/Dredd and it'd be great to see it build into something big for MC1. It's a major event that's bound to hit the Meg news channels you'd think - rogue Judges taking on the SJS for liberty? It must have ramifications surely...if the button is pressed it can't be avoided I would say.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.