Main Menu

Dredd World - Mega Cities World Map

Started by Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty), 17 March, 2012, 07:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 19 March, 2012, 02:27:06 AMAlternatively a FLASH Map with interaction connected to a database (call to flash gurus with actionscipt experience needed). What do you think ?
Or you could fire out SVG and just add overlays to that using CSS.

Link Prime

Why is 'Murphyville' annotated instead of 'Emerald Isle'?
Don't make me reach for the Spud-gun boyo!

Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty)

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 March, 2012, 05:29:20 PM
Why is 'Murphyville' annotated instead of 'Emerald Isle'?
Don't make me reach for the Spud-gun boyo!

Noted and will change.
Never rub another mans rhubarb

Link Prime

Ah sure Jayses, ye shouldn't take the pedantic patterin' of a puerile paddy too seriously... ;)

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 March, 2012, 05:45:25 PM
Ah sure Jayses, ye shouldn't take the pedantic patterin' of a puerile paddy too seriously... ;)

hehe but it has to be right :)

Cactus

East Meg one shouldn't have the 'destroyed in Judgement Day' skull icon.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

WhitBloke

Got a few more for you, Kowalsky, you cartographic wonder, you.  Scarcely shown or only ever mentioned rather than actually seen, so still a tad obscuro but fitting the bill of having been in Dredd stuff. 

Oz Location - Brisbania - from Chopper: The Big Meg
Oz Location - Northwest Oz Territories - from Change Of Loyalties

Euro Location - Berlin Conurb - from Your Beating Heart in Progs 1469-1474, admittedly me being pedantic regarding nicklarr's posting of Berlin
Euro Location - The Desolation of Krakov - from same story, may not qualify as a named location, as with Radback, Patagonian Wastes, Cursed Earth, etc.
Euro Location - Milano Enclave - from same story
Euro Location - Norway Dust Zone - from Meatmonger - presumed to mean Industrial Zone rather than some radioactive dusty wasteland given nature of reference made in the story

Sov Location - Chernobyl Collective - from Sin City

British Isles Location - Merseyside - from Bob Zombie - Scouse of 20,000 Horrors, noted in the story as being an irradiated swamp - would suggest Merseyside Rad-Swamp as a name to cover this but I doubt it would be much fun fitting onto your map!

North America Location - New Territories - from Helltrekkers series, located in the Black Hills area of Dakota.  Given that was almost thirty years ago and I can't recall them being mentioned in-strip since even though I was hoping they might show some face during Judgement Day, so perhaps they're now called something else and I've missed it.

Antarctic Location - Antarctic Jungle - from I'm Manny - Fly Me from Prog 660 and apparently populated by a tribe with a shaman.  I believe it predates Wynter from the Meg but I don't believe either contradict the other.  As for where exactly in Antarctica this may be, I haven't the foggiest and there is no clue in the story itself other than it was flown over and crashed into by a commercial passenger flight.

I've avoided lobbing a slew of Cursed Earth locations at you since that would seem, even cursorily, to be an entire project on its own.  I only refer to the New Territories since they appear to have escaped the nukified-y-ness of the rest of most of the former United States.  Similarly, I'm guessing various outlying Brit-Cit locations would be impossible to cram onto such a geographically tiny and insignificant dump of a place.

Unknown Location - Nova City - from Lost In Cyberspace in Prog 1270 but nothing revealed therein, seems an arguably likely reference to Puerto Nova (a la Ciudad Barranquilla being known as Banana City).

Oh, also, Neocuba - from Dominoes in Prog 1482

Re: Atlantic Tunnel - it also has a link to Ciudad Barranquilla, also shown in Emerald Isle.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Blimey thats dedication for you sifting through that lot thanks Whitbloke. Will credit all those involved at the bottom of the map.

With that kind of excellent info coming to the fore it would seem wise to split this map into two.

1) Overall main city placement with the whole continents.
2) More detailed placement of secondary enclaves and smaller establishments including penal colonys, mutie townships, pirate / smuggler bases etc.

Progress so far Ive created a new vector of North America, South America, Afria and Europe. Should have something up in the next few days.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

WhitBloke

Komrade Kowalsky, I have a lightly cautionary confession to make.  I'm largely bald up top.  There are two reasons for this.  Firstly, a genetic anomaly known as "HAHAHA, you are truly my firstborn son" syndrome and secondly, I am regularly besieged by members of the great British public and I somehow never remember to bring my stub gun.  Anyhow, being a baldy git already, I can no longer pull great steaming chunks of hair out of my head whether in abject frustration or just for the hell of it.  (This was my party piece in my early twenties; how I weep to think how I threw away such lovely locks in my drunken ignorance!)
That said, and I apologise if I should come across clumsily or having made the newbie mistake of missing some post in an earlier thread, isn't there a danger of a broad duplication of effort between what you mention of a seemingly exhaustive map's contents and the impending book by John Caliber about the locations beyond Mega-City One? 
Of course, if you're bald already yourself, Komrade, you can't miss it, either, only...  I think at the very least you just quadrupled the complexity of your project either way and was concerned that a friendly caution might be advised.  I'm entirely happy to lob more locations at you and your mapping efforts if you'd like but I just thought it best to say this first.

Oh, and there's always Mex-Cit which I am guessing isn't in Europe.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

I am of the  receeding hair follicle troop such as your good self. I will renege on that previous statement and go with option 1. :) (For now)

Emperor

Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 20 March, 2012, 04:11:08 AM
Blimey thats dedication for you sifting through that lot thanks Whitbloke. Will credit all those involved at the bottom of the map.

With that kind of excellent info coming to the fore it would seem wise to split this map into two.

2) More detailed placement of secondary enclaves and smaller establishments including penal colonys, mutie townships, pirate / smuggler bases etc.

Perhaps this is where Flash/SVG could come in as you could add zoom and pan, possibly with some detail only emerging on the zoomed view (which I suspect is beyond SVG's current capabilities but I could be wrong).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Art

Anyone know what Seattle is doing on there? Has it ever been mentioned in the Dredd universe outside of that map?

Posted from Seattle.

Dark Jimbo

There's also 'Canadia', as mentioned in Mandroid, and a 'Freetown' features on the US/Canada border, but the significance of this township is debatable.
@jamesfeistdraws

Quote from: Emperor on 20 March, 2012, 07:45:53 PM
Quote from: Kowalsky (formerly JudgeGumpty) on 20 March, 2012, 04:11:08 AM

Perhaps this is where Flash/SVG could come in as you could add zoom and pan, possibly with some detail only emerging on the zoomed view (which I suspect is beyond SVG's current capabilities but I could be wrong).

Thats what I was thinking too, Flash would be ideal for this as you could layer events, timelines, prog numbers and descriptions. Would need the services of a flash guru for this though as my skills are well too rusty by far.

QuoteThere's also 'Canadia', as mentioned in Mandroid, and a 'Freetown' features on the US/Canada border, but the significance of this township is debatable.

There in Mandroid so it counts, again not much clarity on placement nor did the novel suggest where the Canadia authorities came from to my knowledge only that Freetown was a nuisance to both.

QuoteAnyone know what Seattle is doing on there? Has it ever been mentioned in the Dredd universe outside of that map?

To be honest I pulled that off an existing map I will try and clarify that one myself.

JOE SOAP

Thee's also the Town-ships outside Mega City One.