Main Menu

2000AD Lego builds

Started by ming, 10 February, 2014, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Two-laner!

Parp! Parp!  SHFFFFF, etc.

Another fun story for the boys yesterday - they'll be reading the source material before long I hope.

TordelBack

Shooting the Fox backwards!  Classic Cam Kennedy vehicle action there!

Colin YNWA

This thread always brings a smile to my face. It really does.

By the way Ming did you get my PM? Don't want to rush or owt but I have a waiting list!

ming

Thanks, as always, for the kind words.  These are just a bit of fun, really - an easy way to expand on characters, stories and themes from the Galaxy's Greatest for the younglings.  Not sure what I'll take a crack at next; there are a few things I've had in mind for a while but as usual, competition for bricks is fierce in our house.

I suppose I should start reading more Classic Thrills to / with the boys but as they spend so much time playing with Lego it makes sense to do these (and I'll admit they're as much for me as for them).

Darwock

So, I know Rebellion have tried to get a collaboration going in the past and the man from Lego has always said no - and I know that many of the Ideas project submissions get turned down for subject matter reasons (death/war/religion/supernatural stuff all being taboo for Lego)... but the latest announcements for Lego Dimensions seem to show that they are increasingly blurring the boundaries and also catering far more directly for adult fans.

Look at what we're getting: the A-team (total glorification of guns and war), Beetlejuice (grotesque dead people), Gremlins (when I was a kid I considered that to be a horror movie!)... E.T. nd the Goonies (very unlikely to appeal to modern children) - never mind the long running affiliation with Star Wars (the clue is in the title).

If anyone from Rebellion is reading, wouldn't it be worth trying again in the light of their apparent leniency for Dimensions?

Can you imagine? Judge Dredd level pack with Lawmaster and Manta mini-build! Judge Death and Judge Fear team pack! Rogue Trooper fun pack! The possibilities are huge. If there can be a DC comics world why not a 2000AD one?

ming

Quote from: Darwock on 10 June, 2016, 06:55:43 AMIf there can be a DC comics world why not a 2000AD one?

Sales in the hundreds versus sales in the hundreds of thousands, maybe?

Official 2000AD Lego would be amazing but there's obviously niche appeal here rather than mainstream, which is probably what Lego generally look for.  I'm obviously hoping to be proved wrong on this but in the meantime I'll just continue to bumble around with the boys, making the shonky things in this thread.

Darwock

I would agree, if not for the fact that Doctor Who got a lot of support from them just recently - which is also pretty niche and UK specific (I know thats arguable, but hey... Judge Dredd is just as international as the Doctor)

IndigoPrime

Doctor Who, one of the BBC's biggest brands (usually battling with Top Gear for that crown) vs. characters from a fairly niche British comic? No contest, really. And note that even Doctor Who got precisely one full set, and then a couple of Dimensions ones.

That said, the inclusion of the A Team within anything Lego seems very odd to me, given the company's general stance on weapons and war. (The only possible Dimensions 2000 AD-related thing I can see even being a remote possibility is Dredd, but that's more violent by a factor of 50.)

ming

We're taking the boys to Legoland (in Denmark) this summer - we'll see if we can twist some arms...  :)

Pyroxian

Quote from: Darwock on 10 June, 2016, 06:55:43 AM
Look at what we're getting: the A-team (total glorification of guns and war), Beetlejuice (grotesque dead people), Gremlins (when I was a kid I considered that to be a horror movie!)... E.T. nd the Goonies (very unlikely to appeal to modern children) - never mind the long running affiliation with Star Wars (the clue is in the title).

All PG rated movies though, unlike Dredd which is an 18...

ming

There are plenty of child-friendly 2000AD characters and stories that would make for amazing Lego sets (no surprise that I've spent hours thinking about all this).

Top of the list for me would probably be Ace Trucking - just picture a Speedo Ghost set, throw in a couple of Creepy Jeepies and you'd be all set.  Pair that with stackbabbin' Jago Kain and the Yellow Snork and I'd be in nerd heaven.  If you wanted to then throw in the Titan of Peem, I'd not complain.

I know its not going to happen but I can dream...

JamesC

Robo Hunter would seem like the obvious one to me but - yeah - not going to happen.

ming

Quote from: JamesC on 10 June, 2016, 11:52:51 AM
Robo Hunter would seem like the obvious one to me but - yeah - not going to happen.

Well...

Quote from: ming on 13 March, 2016, 01:37:39 PM
Following a major overhaul and reorganisation of our Lego, I managed to get back on the 2000AD wagon this morning...  I had fun with this one (despite minor irritation concerning my lack of ability to make the 'bot chunky and tapering to the degree I wanted).  Anyway, Ian Gibson's cover to Prog 76 has long been one of my favourites so it was nice to have a crack at this and entertain the boys along the way.

Other than that, you're probably right.  (Although I'd love to have a go at those marvellous mahoosive Gibson war machines from Verdus one day.)

Colin YNWA

I used to love this thread, I used to marvel at Ming's glorious orginality... then my re-read exposed... fraud... from Prog 114

ming

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 22 August, 2016, 09:49:20 PM
I used to love this thread, I used to marvel at Ming's glorious orginality... then my re-read exposed... fraud... from Prog 114

While I don't doubt that I'm guilty of some heinous Lego-crime, your image doesn't show up, Colin.  :)

Meanwhile, it's been a manic summer but we'll be back in the 2000AD Lego saddle any day now...