Main Menu

Wraparound covers on the iPad app

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 22 May, 2014, 09:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

Just noticed on 1882 that I can't view the wraparound cover as a single piece of art. Only as two separate pages at each end of the Prog. Would it be possible to put those together so we can see them as the artists intended by turning the tablet to landscape?

Or have I missed an obvious way to do this?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

TordelBack

S'right.  These digital johnnies only have themselves to blame.  Oh I've nothing against them, but the prog should be read as Tharg intended: it's Cover and Page, not JPG and CBR.

Frank

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 22 May, 2014, 09:42:48 AM
Just noticed on 1882 that I can't view the wraparound cover as a single piece of art. Only as two separate pages at each end of the Prog. Would it be possible to put those together so we can see them as the artists intended by turning the tablet to landscape? Or have I missed an obvious way to do this?

Nope - Al Ewing mentioned at Bristol that he's basically removed the double page spread from his box of tricks, since digital readers either view them as separate pages or at a size that renders dialogue balloons illegible. Every week, I just have to imagine how great Sláine must look. We digital readers were made to suffer, it's our lot in life.

judgerufian

I've often wondered if the same thing would happen if you buy a digital version of any graphic novel with a double page spread?

Mind you I would hazard a guess that 99% of digital subscribers get physical trade paperbacks....

TordelBack

This I don't understand.  When I buy commercial PDFs even the most basic free reader app renders double-page spreads as such - indeed when I make PDFs myself I can specify orientation of individual pages, which would amount to the same thing (simply have an 'A3' page display as landscape).  Is it genuinely the case that whatever comics app on the iPad can't do this?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 May, 2014, 10:10:56 PM
This I don't understand.  When I buy commercial PDFs even the most basic free reader app renders double-page spreads as such - indeed when I make PDFs myself I can specify orientation of individual pages, which would amount to the same thing (simply have an 'A3' page display as landscape).  Is it genuinely the case that whatever comics app on the iPad can't do this?

The double page spreads don't come as double page spreads; they're split into individual pages. You can sort of cheat a double page spread by coming out of full screen and changing to view two pages close together (with an annoying split in the middle), but in the case of this week's cover the first bit's page one and the second bit is page 32.

TordelBack

Aye, but the question is why are they presented as single pages?  Surely the (I don't know what format you're using) file could contain some simple kind of metadata that can identify DPS's to the reader and ask it to render them as one landscape image? Like I say, whenever I assemble a PDF report I'm able to specify page orientation etc. and I'm just using freeware for Ubuntu.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 May, 2014, 10:57:22 PM
Aye, but the question is why are they presented as single pages?  Surely the (I don't know what format you're using) file could contain some simple kind of metadata that can identify DPS's to the reader and ask it to render them as one landscape image? Like I say, whenever I assemble a PDF report I'm able to specify page orientation etc. and I'm just using freeware for Ubuntu

Sorry, got ye now. My copy of Roses Of Berlin features all those fantastic O'Neill double pagers as God (O'Neill) intended, so it's obviously a choice made by the good folks who produce my digital prog to present Simon Davis's Sláine spreads as separate pages.

Eamonn Clarke

The Comixology app also manges to render double page spreads correctly, or at least it does in the Sandman prologue issues. I'm sure the iPad app could do this, it just needs to be told.

And I do get the physical issues as well, although I will probably go entirely digital when my sub next comes up for renewal.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 22 May, 2014, 11:13:35 PM...so it's obviously a choice made by the good folks who produce my digital prog to present Simon Davis's Sláine spreads as separate pages.

That really needs to be fixed.  Do we know if Rebellion supplies digi-progs in some sort of raw format to be assembled by a third party, or does the whole comic leave the Command Module fully formatted?  'Cos if it's by Tharg's hand, he needs to be told.  I'm just teetering on the brink of moving into the tablet world, and this would be a massive, even decisive, factor in my going digital. 

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 May, 2014, 08:57:11 AM
Do we know if Rebellion supplies digi-progs in some sort of raw format to be assembled by a third party

I only read Rebellion's comics to kill time on a Sunday, but the meatballs in their restaurant are to die for and those little wooden pencils come in handy.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 23 May, 2014, 01:43:17 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 23 May, 2014, 08:57:11 AM
Do we know if Rebellion supplies digi-progs in some sort of raw format to be assembled by a third party

I only read Rebellion's comics to kill time on a Sunday, but the meatballs in their restaurant are to die for and those little wooden pencils come in handy.

Interstellar King Editor Alert!

Albion

I like my digital Prog but this double page thing is annoying, especially with the recent Slaine pages and some of the ABC Warriors pages a while back.
All they have to do is stitch the pages together.
You could even have the double page as intended and maybe immediately after them have the pages separate too for easier reading of text.
You can always zoom in to read the text if the double pages are joined.
Come on Tharg, it's the comic of the future so why won't it work in the present?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Tiplodocus

Comicrack makes double page spreads work by simply turning my tablet on it's side.

But It won't work for wraparound covers because they aren't next to each other.  It would be cool if they could be included as a little add on at the end of the prog.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!