Main Menu

Sad songs

Started by 8-Ball, 10 June, 2014, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teivion

Recrewt

I think the saddest songs are those that relate to real-life tragedy.

Johnny Cash's Hurt has already been mentioned but its hard not to be moved by it when you know how long he had left.  A lot of Nirvana's Unplugged album also has the same impact.  The Unplugged album wasn't released until after Kurt's death so songs like 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me for a Sunbeam' have extra impact.

ZenArcade

Suzanne Vega's Luka is also quite poigniant.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Leigh S

Love the Queen and the Soldier for a Ms Vega sad song...

Dandontdare

If you want not so much "sad" but bleak and depressing, you can't do much better than Richard & Linda Thompson's "End of the Rainbow" - the title track is a father singing to his infant son that "there's nothing at the end of the rainbow, nothing to grow up for anymore"* and it also features tracks with uplifting titles such as "withered and died". He once described that period as " 'adrift-alone-in-the-Atlantic-with-only-a-squeezy-bottle-to-cling-to' kind of music"

*check full lyrics here

Leigh S

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 June, 2014, 12:23:21 PM
Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say
Sad songs, they say so much

(I miss Roger)

I can think of another half dozen drippy and miserable tunes which actually glory in the name Sad Song. They're all uniformly awful, and useless for any purpose other than providing the background muzak in Errol Raine's Dankendreer sweet shop.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: sauchie X on 11 June, 2014, 04:59:11 PM
I can think of another half dozen drippy and miserable tunes which actually glory in the name Sad Song. They're all uniformly awful, and useless for any purpose other than providing the background muzak in Errol Raine's Dankendreer sweet shop.

I can think of at least one that ain't :D

paddykafka

Treated myself to a taxi into work this morning. On the radio, some sad cunt is singing "All by Myself ! " with the same, desperate level of emotion as I feel when opening my Electricity bill. Just the start to the day that a lonely, middle-aged batchelor needs, lol.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Leigh S on 11 June, 2014, 03:06:42 PM

Oh god, I love that one!  I'm not usually into sad songs, preferring hard, fast, empowering metal and suchlike.  However, I love Ms Vega.

When I saw her at a gig in Newport, Wales, about 25 years ago I was sat at the front.  Between songs I called out to her 'Please play Queen and the Soldier!'  She looked right at me, smiled, and said 'No.'

I will also admit to a soft spot for Simon and Garfunkel.  'I am a Rock' always reminds me of my difficult teens, and makes me melancholy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

NapalmKev

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 12 June, 2014, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 11 June, 2014, 03:06:42 PM

Oh god, I love that one!  I'm not usually into sad songs, preferring hard, fast, empowering metal and suchlike.  However, I love Ms Vega.

When I saw her at a gig in Newport, Wales, about 25 years ago I was sat at the front.  Between songs I called out to her 'Please play Queen and the Soldier!'  She looked right at me, smiled, and said 'No.'

I will also admit to a soft spot for Simon and Garfunkel.  'I am a Rock' always reminds me of my difficult teens, and makes me melancholy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlSVNxLB-A

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Amazing song from one of my favorite albums. And like yourself, I usually favor ultra fast metal.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

8-Ball

This song makes me sad. It was never off the radio when I broke up with my first ever proper girlfriend when I was 14.

http://youtu.be/_ehhhJOPvLE

:'(
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Eric Plumrose

I'm absolutely fine with THIS as long as I don't listen to the lyrics.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

SuperSurfer

This takes me back to long hot summer evenings in the 80s. It conjures up a scene of family life. A full house, everyone winding down, getting ready to sign off for the night, my late father lying on bed reading and BBC Arena on TV with theme music 'Another Green World' by Brian Eno. (Took me years to find out it was an Eno track.)

Only 1:42 mins long. Drifts in and out.

Days gone by.

Man...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/legacy/bbcmusic/2010/02/brian_eno_and_the_arena_bottle.html

CrazyFoxMachine

It's amazing how subjective sad songs are - happy songs are understandable I think, even if they're evocative there must be something in them that's capable of making you grin. Sir Duke is one of those - that beginning flips me out and even now with a severe chest infection I'm croaking along.