Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)  (Read 27972 times)

JOE SOAP

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)
« Reply #465 on: 21 March, 2017, 04:35:17 am »
Most importantly they've fixed Vader's sticky-out neck.

Eric Plumrose

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: 28 March, 2017, 07:45:52 pm »
"No, Luke! I am your mother!"
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: 05 April, 2018, 07:05:28 pm »

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #468 on: 05 April, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »
Gotta get the ball rolling on the Special Edition release of the dvd and blu-ray, I guess.  Having read the dreadful Marvel adaptation and seen some stuff cut from the original draft, I suspect he might be ass-covering, mind.
Going by the Marvel script, characters originally had more complete arcs, especially pilot man and K2: in a nutshell, pilot man gets his brain broke by the mind molester octopus but K2 appeals to his Imperial training after they crash their spaceship on rainy planet and need a new one, so he and K2, as Imperials, infiltrate the Empire's base together to liberate the ship the Rebels later use to escape (and later still to infiltrate Scarif).  Pilot man gets to make his training count for something - a recurring arc for other characters who feel their lives were wasted on acts of terror and sabotage before their hour finally comes - because the characters couldn't have infiltrated Scarif without pilot man's Imperial background and the stolen shuttle, which to me seems a bit more structured than their just grabbing a random ship on Yavin 4, which may as well have been the case in the theatrical cut where the characters are just sort of there in an Imperial shuttle after the rainy planet bit, despite us having just seen the Rebels flatten the base.  K2 is also seen to do something seemingly altruistic (he doesn't think he needs pilot man but insists he come along anyway) without needing prompting from Cassian or the others.
Despite his relative inexperience, Gareth Jones does actually seem to know how to structure a film and make a basic plot/character arc, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and not the guy justifying a hugely inflated paycheck who was drafted in by notoriously meddling execs who've stuck their claws into every new SW film so far - though we'll probably never really know what the original film would have been like.

Steve Green

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:12:15 pm »
Yeah, without seeing the original cut it's a bit 'Hey it was shit before, but I saved it - what you want to see the original cut for, mine's loads better!'

I can't see Disney releasing an alternate cut, doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd do.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #470 on: 05 April, 2018, 10:52:48 pm »
Certainly not if the original cut was even just passable - that would only highlight that they spent millions on unnecessary reshoots of what was always an event film whose end quality was a distant concern.  A Star Wars movie set in OT continuity and featuring Darth Vader?  It would have been harder to not make a quarter of a billion dollars.