Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)  (Read 20270 times)

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
Re: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
« Reply #210 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »
Say what you like about it, but the film is taking a massive gamble in casting a straight white male as the lead of a Star Wars film.

Damn that quota system.

Maybe over his two centuries Chewie has found a little time for the love that dare not growl its name?  Although personally I'm hoping against hope that Lando is revealed as bi at the very least, if only to learn how loud the man-babies can scream.

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #211 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:40:19 pm »
Although personally I'm hoping against hope that Lando is revealed as bi at the very least, if only to learn how loud the man-babies can scream.

You think a straight man could pull off wearing that cape?
Eagle Award Nominated Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 09 April, 2018, 06:19:37 pm »
I have it on good authority* that while the actor who plays Han Solo through most of the film will definitely be a white male, the character will in fact be revealed to be transgender, born Anne Solo.

The fact he was able to father Ben Solo perhaps goes to show the advances in Sci-fi tech. Or maybe Ben was another product of those saucy midichlorians.

*Aka my overactive imagination which goes to a very silly place sometimes.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Your Friends and Neighbors
« Reply #213 on: 12 April, 2018, 07:52:45 pm »
Recasting Lando with a black actor is going too far.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 08 May, 2018, 09:35:04 pm »
So this is new ground: a current SW actor simultaneously puts out what has to be one of the most stunning music videos of recent years in Glover's This Is America.  It's not exactly What Do You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Has A Comb) either - I wonder what Disney makes of it?

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:02:24 pm »
So this is new ground: a current SW actor simultaneously puts out what has to be one of the most stunning music videos of recent years in Glover's This Is America.  It's not exactly What Do You Get A Wookiee For Christmas (When He Already Has A Comb) either - I wonder what Disney makes of it?

Seems like the kind of thing you do after the film's safely in the can* and your handsome face is all over the posters:

https://youtu.be/VYOjWnS4cMY

* Disney have seen Atlanta, so they knew what they were getting. Plus, like everything else the talented wee sod's ever done, the video's been universally well received

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 08 May, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »
Mmmm, it is an extraordinarily powerful piece, both musically and visually: but I struggle to see Disney embracing the timing, even if it (and Glover in general) boost the cool of the whole project by association.   

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 09 May, 2018, 05:35:38 pm »
The film has far left drugs advocate and communist thug Woody Harrelson in it, though fair play the rules seem to be a bit different when it comes to what the media considers acceptable behavior from rich white rednecks and that of young black men.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:09:00 pm »
The film has far left drugs advocate and communist thug Woody Harrelson in it, though fair play the rules seem to be a bit different when it comes to what the media considers acceptable behavior from rich white rednecks and that of young black men.

18-year-old Carrie Fisher was high for every second of the original trilogy and Billy Dee copped a plea on spousal battery charges, so The Wars are officially, historically down with non-male, non-old, and non-white misdemeanours.

Disney let Warwick Davis appear in the sequels despite his friendship with Ricky Gervais, so association with the unpleasant and the offensive is obviously no obstacle to participation.

JOE SOAP

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 09 May, 2018, 07:18:04 pm »
18-year-old Carrie Fisher was high for every second of the original trilogy and Billy Dee copped a plea on spousal battery charges, so The Wars are officially, historically down with non-male, non-old, and non-white misdemeanours.

Whereas legendary dope smoker Harrison Ford has been permanently stoned since at least 1968 when he was a cameraman/roadie for The Doors.

How Harrison Ford's 'Brutal Strength' Weed Changed Carrie Fisher's Opinion On Pot

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 09 May, 2018, 11:06:37 pm »
]
Disney let Warwick Davis appear in the sequels despite his friendship with Ricky Gervais, so association with the unpleasant and the offensive is obviously no obstacle to participation.

Arf!

All indications from the trailers are that Ehrenreich is playing Han/Harrison at his most monotonic/stoned, so maybe Her Arch-Satanness Kennedy has embraced edgy subcultures in general. 

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:44:17 am »

Jim_Campbell

• 2000AD Creator
  • CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Letterer to the Stars! (and PJ)
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt Gallery
« Reply #223 on: 11 May, 2018, 12:19:13 pm »
« Last Edit: 11 May, 2018, 12:21:27 pm by Jim_Campbell »
Eagle Award Nominated Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 11 May, 2018, 12:23:27 pm »
If someone says "the best Star Wars yet!" you know we're in trouble.