Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

One thing we can all hopefully agree on (for once) - this Last Jedi poster is pretty freakin' sweet!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/lukes-magical-last-jedi-trick-gets-an-equally-magical-p-1827672086

SIP

.....but it makes me think about that incredibly lacklustre finale.

:lol:

Professor Bear

I liked that the finale simultaneously admitted that the audience had come to see Luke Skywalker do laser sword stuff, but also explicitly made the text of the film story that expecting Luke Skywalker to do laser sword stuff was completely misunderstanding the deeper nuance of that children's film with living teddy bears in it that came out forty years ago.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 July, 2018, 03:56:20 PM...that children's film with Man-eating Stone-Age Viet-Cong living teddy bears ...

FTFY

Here's a question: after Chewie and that [spoiler]Giant Space Squid thing[/spoiler] in Solo, is it the case that everything Han meets tries to eat him except the dianoga in the Trash Compactor?

TordelBack

But let's face it, all this live-action flim-flam and poo-doo is as porg-droppings compared to tonight's happy, happy Star Wars news: It's Back!

Much dancing and cheering in my house.

Never doubted they'd get round to animating the existing voicework eventually, but imagined it was years off yet.  And here's hoping they give the already released 'animatic' episodes the same treatment too.

JOE SOAP

About time. No doubt this announcement is part of an attempt to rehabilitate Lucasfilm's image in fandom. The announcement of Benioff and Weiss's Old Republic films must be soon.

Professor Bear

Considering how soon it launches, odd that Resistance isn't also getting any push.  Still, I'm sure it's at least as good as (checks notes) Forces Of Destiny.

Steve Green

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 July, 2018, 04:30:05 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 July, 2018, 03:56:20 PM...that children's film with Man-eating Stone-Age Viet-Cong living teddy bears ...

FTFY

Here's a question: after Chewie and that [spoiler]Giant Space Squid thing[/spoiler] in Solo, is it the case that everything Han meets tries to eat him except the dianoga in the Trash Compactor?

Show Leia some respect, dammit.

TordelBack

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 July, 2018, 10:18:51 PM
Forces Of Destiny.

This is a good point.  I watch any old shite with spaceships'n'splosions in (although in comparison to m'learned Bear I am a cineaste of the most exquisitely refined sensibility), but I have never clapped eyes on Forces of Destiny, nor feel the lack (although I do like the look of the dolls - the Sabine one looks very cool). Similarly, despite being a brainwashed Disney sequel shil, the prospect of Resistance leaves me unmoved - and no-one else in my house has evinced any interest.  And I've bought and read the Poe Dameron comic and the Rose/Paige prequel novel!  What does this all mean?

JOE SOAP

Is Christopher Nolan the next President of Lucasfilm?

SIP

"The clone wars" cartoon is easily the best star wars outside of the original trilogy, so this is great news. I guess this will be the last ever chunk of Lucas-involved Star wars too.

Pyroxian

Quote from: SIP on 20 July, 2018, 12:05:17 PM
"The clone wars" cartoon is easily the best star wars outside of the original trilogy, so this is great news. I guess this will be the last ever chunk of Lucas-involved Star wars too.

I preferred Rebels, but that did build on a lot of stuff set up by Clone Wars.

SIP

Quote from: Pyroxian on 20 July, 2018, 12:19:25 PM
Quote from: SIP on 20 July, 2018, 12:05:17 PM

I preferred Rebels, but that did build on a lot of stuff set up by Clone Wars.

I really don't like rebels, its dull, turgid and just plain boring in comparison to what clone wars offered.....and the production quality is way worse. It also plays to a much younger audience, its actively aimed at children where I don't feel clone wars ever was. Despite the promise of McDairmid emperor I still can't bring myself to get through the last season that I've had sitting there for months.

radiator

Quoteits actively aimed at children where I don't feel clone wars ever was

Is this the same show that had a character called 'Stinky the Hutt'?