Main Menu

Help Identifying A Dredd Comic

Started by MinnieMinno, 30 January, 2017, 11:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MinnieMinno

Can a Dredd expert on this forum help us to locate a comic that has gone missing? We bought it in the mid '90's and one section featured a fight between Judge Dredd and  Mean Machine in a sort of indoor play area where one of the youngsters was riding through the air on a half-sphere surfboard. Dredd knocked Mean Machine out of frame but he reappeared head-first through the floor saying, "I'm not finished yet, Dreddy!", to which JD replied, "You soon will be, though."

As far as we can remember, it was drawn in a less angular style than Carlos Esquerra's.

Any leads would be appreciated!

TordelBack

I believe that describes ALL Mean Machine stories! The fourth wall shenanigans sounds like Travels with Muh Shrink' (from Progs 730-736, 1991, painted by Richard Dolan), where characters were regularly butted through pages, but I wouldn't rule out the Mean Machine Judge Dredd Poster Prog 3 (1994, Cliff Robinson ) either.

sheridan

Would the youngster have been Mean's son?

Frank

It's from Lawman Of The Future - the short lived Stallone spin off - issue number 3. Dial Mean For Murder, by John Wagner and Jim Murray takes place in a pinboing alley - the spherical hoverboards mentioned above are bouncing plastic bubbles with people inside:

http://i.imgur.com/MQzZbe5.jpg

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 30 January, 2017, 03:41:05 PM

It's from Lawman Of The Future - the short lived Stallone spin off - issue number 3. Dial Mean For Murder, by John Wagner and Jim Murray takes place in a pinboing alley - the spherical hoverboards mentioned above are bouncing plastic bubbles with people inside:

Ah - I have them but haven't read them yet.

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 30 January, 2017, 05:44:55 PM
It's from Lawman Of The Future - the short lived Stallone spin off

Me too. It's something I always mean to get round to, but can never quite face.

I knew it wasn't Shrink, Son Of, or You Are The Mean Machine, but if it wasn't for Barney - a unique and priceless resource - I would have spent a dispiriting evening flicking pointlessly through old Annuals and Summer Specials.

My offer of sexual favours to Wake and Cosh remains on the table, indefinitely.

TordelBack

Nice one Frank. That story looks pretty good!

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 30 January, 2017, 06:18:30 PM
It's from Lawman Of The Future - the short lived Stallone spin off

I knew it wasn't Shrink, Son Of, or You Are The Mean Machine, but if it wasn't for Barney - a unique and priceless resource - I would have spent a dispiriting evening flicking pointlessly through old Annuals and Summer Specials.

My offer of sexual favours to Wake and Cosh remains on the table, indefinitely.

I'm actually quite hopeful - in terms of alternate versions of Dredd I'm not a fan of the main DC or IDW Dredds, but do like the mini-series (Legends of the Law for DC) that they put out, so I'm not automatically averse to Dredd outside of the progs and megs.  The main reason I haven't read them is because I know I'll be getting to them in my prog slog, though at the rate that's going perhaps I should just bite the bullet and read them anyway...

MinnieMinno

Many thanks, Frank! We've been trying to trace it for ages....

MinnieMinno

That's great, Sheridan. It's good to see the graphics again and I'll be able to order up a copy.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 30 January, 2017, 06:18:30 PM

As an 11- and 7-year old in 1995, it was the bee's knees to my younger brother and I. Haven't revisited the material since so I've no idea if it would hold up now that I know the 'real' Dredd so well*, but it did exactly what it set out to do at the time - the horror bits were scary, the humour bits were funny, the action bits were exciting; and it must have been at least part of the reason I picked up my frst prog some six years later.

*I suspect... not.
@jamesfeistdraws

MinnieMinno

I found a copy of 'Lawman of The Future 3' and now we realise that it's Jim Murray's artwork that we remembered and which makes it such fun. So, I've been browsing the web to see what other Dredd/AD2000 comics feature his work. Are there any in particular that you would recommend? We're real newbies in the comic world!

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

IndigoPrime

I read Lawman a few years back, as someone in their 30s. It's fine. it's not amazing Dredd, and it's clearly aimed at a different market from modern 2000 AD. But a lot of the stories are perfectly good, and some of the art is pretty nice as well. It probably shouldn't be at the top of your reading list, but it's a hell of a lot better than, say, that bloody awful DC Dredd from a while back.

sheridan

Oh, and Lawman of the Future is set in the same year that 2000AD Dredd has now just entered, fact fans!