Main Menu

When (for the love of god) did the prog size wander?

Started by matty_ae, 16 February, 2017, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I knew the prog size was trimmed after the Starlord merger. But can anyone tell me the numbers of when it changed and then changed back?
Arrrrrh you can't even trim other issues to this reduced size without losing artwork!

sheridan

Other than the 2000AD and Starlord progs it stayed constant from 1 to 499 (with 500 being a different size) then from 501 to 519, when we got nice paper.  I liked the matt paper and printing we got from 520 until it got all shiny (with the prog that had Twister in, as I recall, somewhere at the tail end of the eighties).

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 16 February, 2017, 11:47:35 PM
I liked the matt paper and printing we got from 520 until it got all shiny (with the prog that had Twister in, as I recall, somewhere at the tail end of the eighties).

Me too, but it was still the same paper inside the shiny covers all the way into the late nineties/noughties. A change of printers meant 2000ad was printed on differently sized paper (and with the kind of full colour web offset litho reproduction that only became standard in prog 520) from progs 110 - 127.

matty_ae

Y'know when they made wild printer changes in the 70s, they really weren't thinking 40 years later I'd be trying to bind this. #inconsiderate!

I'll now have a book a 30 progs, followed by one of 18! There goes the bookshelf...