Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Podcasts  (Read 5126 times)

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
  • A fry without beans is a mere meat collage.
    • View Profile
Re: Podcasts
« Reply #45 on: 16 March, 2018, 08:51:41 pm »
Movie Crush - (yet) another movie podcast, this one hosted by Chuck Bryant from Stuff You Should Know (who I find to be an insanely likable and engaging host) talking to various guests about their favourite movies.

Last Podcast on the Left - podcast about the occult, fringe groups, conspiracy theories* and serial killers. An occasionally abrasive listen and an acquired taste but frequently funny and often (unsurprisingly) dark. Some might object to the levity and irreverence with which they treat some pretty serious subject matters. I pick and choose depending on the given subject, though I thoroughly enjoyed a recent series they did on Timothy McVeigh/Oklahoma City and another on Norwegian Black Metal.

*though i should stress that the hosts are not tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts and are largely skeptics.

Fungus

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:23:49 am »
Podcasts should be ace, you're able to waffle at length, no restrictions. In a way, it's good that so many get boring real fast. I probably have a half-dozen on rotation...

'I don't even own a television' was tried, after half a podcast I knocked that on the head. Fell into the 'it's so bad it's good' so effortlessly I couldn't continue. I'm a boring old fart, what can I tell ya  :thumbsup:

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 March, 2018, 02:38:31 am »
For me, podcasts have made pretty much all old style talking head media obsolete. You can be so specific, go into so much depth and just cut the bullshit to such an extent in a podcast interview that traditional old format interviews on things like radio or chat shows seem so lightweight and frivolous by comparison.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 17 March, 2018, 08:25:09 am »
For me, podcasts have made pretty much all old style talking head media obsolete. You can be so specific, go into so much depth and just cut the bullshit to such an extent in a podcast interview that traditional old format interviews on things like radio or chat shows seem so lightweight and frivolous by comparison.

Nail on the head there,  Radiator. Although I do find myself yelling at the air when some nugget of factual wrongness is trotted out and batted back and forth unchallenged,  it's still a massive improvement on shallow waffle chopped into 'balanced' chunks, generally in the service of some promotion.

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 21 March, 2018, 06:02:28 pm »
Other than The Adventure Zone, I listen to LOADS of RPG podcasts. My favourites are One Shot (friends of the McElroys and similarly tightly edited) and Roleplay Public Radio/RPPR. The latter is unedited to a great extent but has great audio quality nonetheless and does some great horror games, as well as silly ones. Delta Green and Red Markets plus Spirit of 77 or Rick n Morty in Monsters & Other Things. Good, good stuff.

Last Podcast on the Left - podcast about the occult, fringe groups, conspiracy theories* and serial killers. An occasionally abrasive listen and an acquired taste but frequently funny and often (unsurprisingly) dark. Some might object to the levity and irreverence with which they treat some pretty serious subject matters. I pick and choose depending on the given subject, though I thoroughly enjoyed a recent series they did on Timothy McVeigh/Oklahoma City and another on Norwegian Black Metal.

*though i should stress that the hosts are not tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy nuts and are largely skeptics.

I describe the style of this podcast as 'The Douche' from Parks and Recreation. It is good but they can be as tiresome as they are entertaining. The Aum Shinrikyo series is great.

radiator

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 21 March, 2018, 08:01:21 pm »
I describe the style of this podcast as 'The Douche' from Parks and Recreation. It is good but they can be as tiresome as they are entertaining. The Aum Shinrikyo series is great.

I wouldn't go quite that far  :lol:. But yeah, it has a tone best described as 'shouty'.

rogue69

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 07 April, 2018, 12:10:10 am »
BBC radio 4 have a few new podcasts

You're Doing it Wrong; Adam Buxton takes a sideways look at some of our confusing modern ideas.

Evil Genius: Where do you draw the line? Each week, we examine a cultural icon’s back story and weigh up the good against the bad.

GrownUpLand; Comedians Mae Martin, Bisha K Ali and Ned Sedgwick consider the adult world with the help of Steve Ali and special guests.

Theblazeuk

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 08 April, 2018, 02:57:49 pm »
Black Squadron reporting, I guess.

Dudley

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 03 June, 2018, 06:15:05 pm »
The Beef and Dairy Network. Deadpan comedy about beef and dairy farming. Quite a lot funnier than it sounds.

Last Podcast on the Left is great as long as you have a very very dark sense of humour and avoid the dull creepy pasta episodes.

How Did This Get Made? is my weekly guaranteed laugh.

Pete Wells

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 26 June, 2018, 05:58:52 pm »
There’s this amazing new podcast by some Mackem areshole...