Main Menu

Prog 2054 - Me & My Shadow

Started by Grant Goggans, 21 October, 2017, 02:19:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

TordelBack

Quote from: The Monarch on 26 October, 2017, 01:39:52 PM
i err liked it

David's just hoping Kek-W merges Canon Fodder in next, amirite?

norton canes

Ironically it's the W.H. Smithverse that's causing me problems this week.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Richard

I really can't see what all this fuss is about. Indigo Prime has already established that there are innumerable parallel universes, and dead people from any of them can be recruited into Indigo Prime. What's the problem?

TordelBack

Sure, but why Revere? Why not Fludd, or Bec and Caul, or Wolfie Smith, or Nick Stone? Why an unconnected John Smith character? Why not any other psychic/dimension hopping charcater from Tharg's limbo drawer? That's the problem for me anyway.

Richard

I doubt it. If Kek-W had used any of those characters, I expect you'd be saying the same things you're saying about Revere. Why shouldn't it be Revere, just because he hasn't been in Indigo Prime before? Anyone can be in Indigo Prime (for the reason I have in my last post).

John Smith doesn't approve. That's fine, they're his characters, but he's not writing it. That's not his fault, but it's still someone else's responsibility now.

Why has Kek-W done this? Remember how Dead Eyes ended, when we didn't know it was an Indigo Prime story until the last page, when Winwood and Cord turned up -- two characters who hadn't been in the prog for about 20 years? We all got very excited about that, and we came on this messageboard and enthused about how brilliant it was. I suspect (it's just a theory) that Kek-W was trying in good faith to recreate that sort of moment, using another highly-regarded John Smith character. I don't blame him for trying. Maybe it isn't what John Smith would have done, but he isn't writing it.

I think it's a storm in a teacup. Let's just see what happens in the next episodes and see where it goes. Kek-W isn't going to treat these characters in anything less than a totally respectful manner.

(And "poisoned chalice" is right. There's no pleasing some people.)

TordelBack

If you can't see the difference between John Smith using Winwood and Cord in an apparent one-off for a cool twist leading into a new era of IP, and Kek-W introducing Revere in a long running series for the same effect, I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this. But look, I'll probably be eating my words in a couple of weeks - just right now I think it sets a poor precedent.

And I am all-too easily pleased as it happens, just ask my missus. 

Magnetica

I'm with Tordel Block on this. Winwood and Cord turning up in Dead Eyes is completely different. They had always been in Indigo Prime. That twist was establishing Dead Eyes as part of the IP multi-verse which was completely legitimate as it was done as part of the complete Dead Eyes story. It wasn't something that was revisited years later. Which is what Revere turning up this week is.

John Smith clearly intended that reveal that in Dead Eyes.

Taryn Tailz

Before the posts in this thread actually started to name 'Revere' as the character who showed up at the end of this weeks instalment, I was, for some reason, under the impression that 'John Smith' himself had been revealed as an IP agent in this weeks cliff hanger.

Which would have been interesting...

TordelBack

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 26 October, 2017, 06:55:54 PM
Which would have been interesting...

See that would have been cool.  The writer becoming a character in the strip when another writer takes over*... has that ever been done?

*As opposed to the overused 'writer appears in his own story'.

Grant Goggans

Well, unlike you wonderful-but-cynical, cynical people, I punched the air.  And I bet part six of the story is going to be great.

TordelBack

Quote from: Grant Goggans on 26 October, 2017, 07:17:27 PM
Well, unlike you wonderful-but-cynical, cynical people, I punched the air.  And I bet part six of the story is going to be great.

Good on you Goggans, I knew you'd like it!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Richard on 26 October, 2017, 05:56:24 PMLet's just see what happens in the next episodes and see where it goes. Kek-W isn't going to treat these characters in anything less than a totally respectful manner.
Yes to all of this.

Richard

QuoteThe writer becoming a character in the strip when another writer takes over... has that ever been done?

Sort of. In the original Prog 2000, Alan Grant wrote a Judge Dredd episode in which John Wagner appears.