Main Menu

Doctor Who (13th Doctor)

Started by JamesC, 09 November, 2017, 02:30:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Mrs IP (Doctor Who fan) apparently unimpressed (despite being very happy with the casting): "Why have they dressed her up like a child?"

Link Prime

Personally, I think its an awful outfit.
A red nose away from Bobo the clown.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 November, 2017, 09:42:25 AM
Mrs IP (Doctor Who fan) apparently unimpressed (despite being very happy with the casting): "Why have they dressed her up like a child?"

You know what, that's what was bothering me about that pic.  Thank you!

JamesC

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 November, 2017, 09:42:25 AM

That's not how I saw it at all. It's a bit art studenty I guess.
I guess the braces and rainbows are seen as childish? Surely the long coat and colottes trousers aren't?

Worth noting that this is probably only one of a rotating couple of outfits if the last few Doctors are anything to go by.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 November, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
Personally, I think its an awful outfit.
A red nose away from Bobo the clown.

Radio Times letters page November 24th, 1966. Look at the second letter...

The more things change...

Leigh S

The in-universe explanation is that she went to Sarah Jane Smith's old wardrobe.... 

I saw Geoffrey from Rainbow, others have said Mork, but I think my wife might ahve got closest when she said "Magpie"

JLC

Quote from: Leigh S on 10 November, 2017, 05:58:18 PM
I saw Geoffrey from Rainbow, others have said Mork, but I think my wife might ahve got closest when she said "Magpie"
None of which will mean anything to the target audience.

Daveycandlish

You mean 40 something men aren't the target audience?!  :-\ :o ;)
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Leigh S

Quote from: JLC on 10 November, 2017, 07:35:04 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 10 November, 2017, 05:58:18 PM
None of which will mean anything to the target audience.

I think you underestimate the target audience if you think they have no knowledge of glam rock era fashion, Robin Williams most iconic character, or retro kids shows.

Plus, do we really think Chris Chibnall, steeped as he is in loving at least one 70s TV show, would not have had similar thoughts (and indeed, possible intention to actively riff off the above)? 

I'm not even saying it's necessarily a bad thing (a bit on the nose maybe for us "not in the target audience"), so no need to defend it to me

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: JamesC on 10 November, 2017, 01:54:55 PM
=44906.msg973232#msg973232 date=1510306945]
the braces

Admit it chaps. You have always prefered a Doctor dressed in suspenders.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Tjm86

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 17 November, 2017, 04:29:10 AM

Wasn't this taken shortly before the Doctor was arrested on Clapham Common?

Link Prime

Krusty's Klown Kollege aside, nothing was more wince inducing than Capaldi in that chav hoodie.

JamesC

Suspenders means something else where I'm from. I'd call those braces.

JLC

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 10 November, 2017, 07:47:40 PM
You mean 40 something men aren't the target audience?!  :-\ :o ;)
No. Its a kids show. Yes older viewers will watch it & are obviously the most vocal about it on social media & forums etc. But despite what they think their voice is NOT the most important one. IS NOT.

Bolt-01

the way I perceive this is that the costuming is aiming for a nostalgic feel, whereby the colours and patterns evoke memories from the parents watching the show of doctors they watched in the past. This would then, in turn lead to increased recognition that this new actor is still 'the Doctor'.

The timing of the initial broadcast (presumably still going to be around the 6.15 slot) is, to me, aiming this at  'sitting and eating tea in front of the telly' people. Families hopefully.

If the BBC can get a younger group of kids watching then great, as it will help with the long term survival of the brand (after all- the majority of Mickey Mouse cartoons are created for a pre-school audience) and having parents watching too will only help.

I'm just hoping for decent plots- I've started watching the last season of Capaldi and I'm quite enjoying it so far.