Main Menu

2000ad All female creative teams in 2018 Summer Special

Started by Colin YNWA, 07 February, 2018, 06:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malkymac

Quote from: Bojay1997 on 08 February, 2018, 12:16:13 AM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 February, 2018, 07:20:07 PM
Another victory in the hard left vegan Leninist cucktard sharia law SJW cultural Marxist purge of the straight white male from all creative media.  Next they'll be hunting us like dogs and we won't be safe in our own homes.

Sure, because white men don't control 99% of all media companies anyway.  Give me a break.

The fast balls all go by ya kid

Buttonman

I just want good, entertaining comics regardless of what the creator hides in their pants.

If the woman are good enough why are they not published anyway? If they are not good enough is this not patronising tokenism?

I'll buy the issue and judge it on its merits but it won't be 'It's not good but at least it was created by women' - if it's rubbish, it's rubbish if it's great - Hurrah!

TordelBack

I try to explain this stuff to my kids this way: everyone is equal and, beyond the basic human dignity we possess, we should all be judged solely on individual merit and contribution,  regardless of genital arrangement,  hue or preference for same.

However,  everyone lives their lives at a particular moment in history, and in ours there are long-established structural inequalities, biases and mis/underpresentations. Until this mess is sorted out, we all need to STFU and work to counter these issues. It'll make a better world for all of us in the long run.

TL;DR: A wider view of absolute fairness has to include context. 

Current example: relative lack of female creators in the prog.
Current measure: showcase female creators.

IndigoPrime

Professor Bear

It'll be fun trying to unpack the objective criticism of the special from genitalia-based outrage from the usual Facebook gammon.  Wait I meant the other thing: no it won't.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 February, 2018, 08:03:18 PM
Current example: relative lack of female creators in the prog.
Current measure: showcase female creators.

PJ has written very cogently on this over on Twitter. I should stress his additional point that he wasn't speaking with any inside knowledge. To (inadequately paraphrase):

2000AD uses a stable of familiar creators because 2000AD is a beast that must be fed huge quantities of content, week in, week out, year after year. Creators who can be relied upon to deliver content on time, and specific to 2000AD's tone are incredibly valuable.

The only current way to bring in new talent is through Future Shocks/Terror Tales/3rillers. These can be commissioned without a hard deadline (you'll be given a deadline to make sure you can work within them, but the strip won't be scheduled until it's done) and can be sent back and forth for polishing to help the creators find a style/voice that sits well with 2000AD.

This is a time-consuming process and there aren't that many Future Shock slots per year, so it's a slow way to bring in new creators.

What something like this special does (even though this may well not have been its primary purpose) is 'hot house' a whole group of new (to the prog) creators without the pressure of the weekly's deadlines. I don't know if this one has been overseen editorially by Keith rather than Matt (as the Scream special was) but this stuff takes pressure off while helping to bring on new talent... in this case, under-represented talent.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Geoff

I've never cared about the gender of the artists or writers in 2000ad.  They're almost exclusively male of course, but does that mean there's a lack of female creators...maybe/maybe not.  I do think that the criteria should be merit though, regardless of any disparity, and that this approach is for the benefit of all.

(The professor is clearly a bear with no little sense of humour)   

Richard

We've had female creators in other recent specials and they did a fine job. I'm not worried.

Colin YNWA

I want them to go further now and as some one on Facebook said introduce Joesphine Dredd. I only want this to see Facebook folk explode. I'm tired and that would amuse me right now. There's all sorts of crazy being spouted over that side of 2000ad discussion!

pauljholden

Quote from: Geoff on 08 February, 2018, 08:42:46 PM
They're almost exclusively male of course, but does that mean there's a lack of female creators...

Yes, yes it does.

-PJ

JayzusB.Christ

Underrepresented?  Hardly. In the first 15 years alone we had Angie Mills, and Hilary Robinson, and, and, and... and loads more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Art

BPP

The female droid special - ace
The superhero British comics special - ace
The 2nd Misty / Scream Special - ace

Top Work House of Tharg.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Fungus

Pleased to see that the quote attributed to Tharg simply mentioned new creators, as it should be. Anything specifically marketed as 'all-female' - or 'all-male' for that matter - I doubt I would buy in the first place.

Spikes

If John Wagner's wife doesn't write the Dredd tale, then it doesn't count...