Main Menu

Looking for Pre-Street Judge Info...

Started by K2, 14 February, 2018, 02:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K2

Hey guys;

Thanks for all of that, every little bit helps set things up to play out in the future yet being 20+ years after the fact may not matter as much.  Never the less, it's been fun putting together every little bit and piece I can find regarding Fargo to formulate a whole personality.  I've even found a couple of frames of when he is speaking with Dredd and Rico when they are young.  His statement of; "Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, they were promised that too--"  That plays in directly into what transpires in my story.

(Though I may have mentioned it previously)  The lead (Rokka-Kae) character in my story made a promise to a Triad back in Hong Kong.  Once she realizes the foresight of the one who had her make it, once in the U.S. she has a then guard also make the same promise to her.  When that guard raises up to being the U.S. Attorney General, she realizes the insightfulness of it and agrees to bring a new young prosecutor to Rokka-Kae so that they can both try and fulfill their promises.  Naturally Rokka-Kae and the USAG also have Fargo make that same promise which hopefully one day he will fulfill.

That promise being:
"When, not if... but when you realize what you have been fighting for and believed in all of your life turns out to be wrong, that you not let pride, vanity or apathy keep you from trying to change it to what is right."

A simple thing, yet any of you with a few years behind you will understand regret.

K2

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: K2 on 28 February, 2018, 06:22:53 PM
"When, not if... but when you realize what you have been fighting for and believed in all of your life turns out to be wrong, that you not let pride, vanity or apathy keep you from trying to change it to what is right."

For the love of God, get yourself an editor.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Big_Dave

I'm simply a novice writer that initially began writing to improve upon my own literacy (having been illiterate at one time), and will post what has to date been short stories, a few novelettes, novellas and so on simply on appropriate public forums (having never published anything beyond that, and certainly not in a professional vein). 'Who would read it?' Well, I suppose that doesn't matter in that I'm enjoying creating it.  That's the only reason I do much of anything.

have fun with your project K9

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Big_Dave on 28 February, 2018, 07:50:45 PM
I'm simply a novice writer that initially began writing to improve upon my own literacy (having been illiterate at one time), and will post what has to date been short stories, a few novelettes, novellas and so on simply on appropriate public forums (having never published anything beyond that, and certainly not in a professional vein). 'Who would read it?' Well, I suppose that doesn't matter in that I'm enjoying creating it.  That's the only reason I do much of anything.

That's a perfectly fair point, which I missed earlier. I can't edit my previous post, but I will apologise for it.

K2

No apology needed, and I understand why you wouldn't throw me a bone in the way of a correction.

Sorry to trouble.

K9... Err I mean K2

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 28 February, 2018, 08:08:01 PM
Quote from: Big_Dave on 28 February, 2018, 07:50:45 PM

That's a perfectly fair point, which I missed earlier. I can't edit my previous post, but I will apologise for it.

An apology from Mr Campbell. Wow.  You have achieved something so few here have.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 28 February, 2018, 09:26:38 PM
An apology from Mr Campbell. Wow.  You have achieved something so few here have.

I apologise for stuff all the time. I was wrong — that was the wrong thing to say. I missed the context, but that's on me and I'm sorry I said it. I'm not really sure why you felt the need to be a dick about it... I'm broadly confident I've neither run over your dog nor insulted your wife but, if I did, I'm sorry for that, too.

Richard

It's the internet. We're supposed to be dicks.

TordelBack

K2

This project is advancing extremely well and if any of you are members of the notorious "Blue Forum" (due to the adult content it will contain), and curious about this feel free to check there!

Thanks again EVERYONE for all your help!

K2

K2

Well dang, I began this 'short-story' with the intent of it being 10k-20k words on Feb. 02.   Now 2-months later I have 1-1/4 chapters remaining (of now 40 chapters, +4 extensive appendices, +4 short sections of front-matter, +header art) and I'm at 93,000 words.  :-\

Verbose might be the appropriate term, but I'll go with yappy.   :-X 

K2

Tjm86

"Clap along if you feel like yappiness is the truth."

[sorry, no my coat is the third one on the left.  Thanks.]

K2

I'm so close to wrapping this up only requiring another 're-read/edit,' since you all are mentioned in the preface, I decided to post the frontmatter and table of contents here.  I'm extremely pleased/proud of how the story played out, in no small part due to you all and your help.  Truly, the information you supplied inspired the plot, forming the course of the story to generate events to affect Eustace Fargo (Cub) to be the man you all know.

My 20k-word short evolved into a 95k-word novel with extensive appendices and background chapters.

My sincere thanks once again.

K2

Lest ye be Judged
An 'unauthorized and not for profit' Judge Dredd Prequel ~ 2029

Copyright Licensing Disclaimer:
The novel "Lest ye be Judged" is an original 'unauthorized, unpaid and not for profit' fan-fiction of which the author has not received compensation in any form for its production.

"Judge Dredd, Eustace Fargo, Street Judges and any other part of the Judge Dredd Universe" are all copyrighted characters and themes wholly owned by Rebellion Publishing, Oxford, UK, who have not authorized, licensed or been paid for their use within this body of work, nor upon the header art.

The header art background "Sci Fi Street" is a copyrighted work of art wholly owned by Andre Sutherland, of Berlin, DE (formerly Melbourne, AU), who has not authorized, licensed or been paid for its use upon the header art. All musical and audio works are wholly owned by the respective artists and/or production companies who have not authorized, licensed or been paid for their use within this work, and are listed in appendix-A5.

The character "the Mad Clown," no matter how realistic or similar to any other person or POTUS is simply a fictional character developed solely for this story. Any similarity is purely, somewhat, kinda-sorta coincidental. No one could be that whacked out and be president of the United States. Could they?

This work including the header-art is not to be reproduced or distributed in whole or part without the direct consent of the applicable copyright holding parties and the author of this novel, K2- U.S.A., April 03, 2018.

***Warning*** This fictional novel contains graphic depictions of; violence, death, genocide, murder, sex (both consensual and not), drug use and a significant number of expletives, vulgar terms and expressions. If the reader finds any of those fictional depictions too offensive to be exposed to, then they are advised to cease reading now. ***Warning***

**Caution** This fictional story contains references to disturbing subjects such as; execution, murder, rape, various forms of sex, drug use, prostitution, torture, cannibalism, slavery, slavery of minors, starvation, disease, dehumanization, crushing poverty, totalitarian governments, dystopian societies, ecological collapse, nuclear weapon use and others. If the reader is unsettled by mention of such subjects, then they are advised to cease reading now. **Caution**

Preface -or- My drivel as to how and why:
Inspired by the 2012 movie "Dredd," disconcertingly drawn to "Ma-Ma," compelled me to write a short story or fan-fiction set in the seedier shadows of Mega-City One. As you will discover, the short-story part didn't exactly pan out.

Hoping to do the movie justice, I began investigating background information regarding the characters, the world as presented and so on, in short order discovering 2000AD comics and Rebellion A/S, originators of all things Dredd. Overwhelming would be a fair description arriving to this party some forty years too late. Fortunately, during my research I stumbled upon the 2000AD forums and the gracious members there.

My gratitude to the members of the 2000AD forum and those at Rebellion A/S is both deep and sincere. Without their invaluable assistance, my research would have been long and exhausting. Due to their help, the story would evolve as it did; though more truthfully reveal itself, the story already there.

So again to the 2000AD forum members and those at Rebellion, my deepest thanks or as another might say, "Florix Grabundae!"

With their help, I encountered a startling revelation. The Street Judge system in the series had begun in the year 2031. After some quick math (fingers, toes, clomping my foot and so on), it struck me that year was a mere thirteen away. After a bit more digging I discovered that 2029 and even 2027 had direct relevance, reducing that timeframe to a paltry nine years.

Please don't misunderstand, I get it. It's a fictional story, set in a fictional timeline, established forty years ago when it was a possibility. However, I have always felt that the best stories were at least plausible. The question being; 'how could the citizens and government of the United States, devolve to such a point that they would be willing to surrender their civil liberties in a mere nine years?'

The current news supplied the mechanism for that collapse. The help from the fine folks at the 2000AD forums supplied me with information for the end (or more accurately, what my ending had to establish to support their story's beginning). That left everything in between, which thankfully the comic series had left mostly wide open. Unfortunately, here in America surrendering civil liberties is a huge step back, and then it struck me.

Why go back when you could go forward? The cycle of life, full circle and all that.

This story's clock did not stop at midnight, continuing instead into the darkest hours. What follows are those dark hours. And though we cannot turn the clock back to midnight, perhaps it can be nudged forward into the twilight before the dawn.

K2- U.S.A., April 03, 2018.

Enhanced Reading Options:

Be aware before playing sound effects (denoted by >> <<) and music that they may be loud.
The sound effects and music are added into this work to help establish a mood in the reader. If you opt to listen to the sound files you are advised to; 'pause your reading, listen, and only once through, resume your reading' in that they can be extremely distracting and will detract from the story if listened to otherwise.

Five Historical Background Chapters (2, 10, 16, 21, 32) are scattered throughout the story (denoted by *** after the chapter name). The reader may peruse these chapters at any time without fear of them working as spoilers. However, if the reader would prefer to remain as ignorant as the characters, understanding and experiencing the world from their viewpoint, then they should be avoided until finished with the story.

Appendices have been added to help the reader fully understand all aspects of the story. The reader may review these appendices at any time without fear of them working as a spoiler. To do so will grant you the insight and knowledge of Rokka-Kae, the story's protagonist. In contrast, the reader may opt to experience the story from the viewpoint of Cub, the deuteragonist. If so, then chapter No.1 "Harvest Time," Appendices; A2-Glossary of the RCFG, Pastoral A3-Vocabulary & A4-Translations, should be avoided.

Glossary, Vocabulary and Translation Appendices have been included in this novel due to the extensive number of unfamiliar terms and words utilized throughout. They are as follows.
A2. Glossary of the Restored Constitution Federal Government: Words, equipment, terms and definitions used by the fictional U.S. government of 2029.
A3. Pastoral Pidgin/Slang Vocabulary: The unique words and their meanings as used by the citizens in the region the story primarily takes place.
A4. Pastoral Pidgin Conversations Translated (by Chapter): Direct translations of entire lines of dialogue by chapter.

Introduction:

What would it take for you to willingly give up your civil rights, your freedom, or those rights God given, self-evident, unalienable and that shall not be infringed upon?

Would it be the threat of loss of life? What about agonizing torture or any other long-suffering cruelty that someone could inflict upon you? Naturally, those rights could be taken away by an irresistible force; yet what fate would inspire you to surrender them anxiously and when all said and done, be grateful that you had?

Half a world away, over forty-years ago, a man peered into an electrified cage at two females who had suffered terribly and long. To terrorize them before he began his cruelties again, in a calm monotone voice he told them a sadistic truth.

"You would be amazed at how malleable the mind becomes when a person is deprived of food, water and comfort. The terror and suffering however, I inflict for pleasure."

A horrific prospect to be sure, though it does beg the question of how quickly we would relent when faced with the prospect of going hungry while suffering an unquenchable thirst. For some it might mean a day, others a week and still others perhaps a month. However, what if your expectation was forever?

In a mere two years, the world had been brought to the brink of ruin. For a half-century, industries that had been restrained to protect from that, overnight found the established controls abolished. Like some great marauding beast free of its chains, the corporations supported by the politicians who they supported in kind, ran rampant over the face of the earth. And so, whether it was environmental cause and effect, Nature as a sentient being or perhaps God himself, they relented and said; "so be it."

Simply to survive, the people gathered only to discover those who had caused the loss of their world, the wealthy and politically powerful, were their only option to survive. Adroit at seizing opportunities for exploitation, the corrupt 0.1-percent had finally won; vanquishing the flawed concepts of liberty and democratic equality. Rightfully, or so those few believed, the plutocracy smugly smiled upon the starving masses stating simply; "we will save you."

Granted, at first it was difficult until systems could be put into place; yet once they had been, the rectified, imperious new colossus's sustenance filled hands extended toward the huddled masses, then paused and waited until they heard it.

"Please! Thank you."

That was nine years ago, being 2029. With ninety-four percent of the population's focus upon simply surviving another day, none remembered they had once lived another way.

One however did.

Table of Contents:
ii. Warnings and Cautions
iii. Preface
iv. Enhanced Reading Options
v. Introduction
1. Harvest Time
2. Crush of Humanity ***
3. To be a Reaper
4. Into the Land of Madness
5. Horror Compounded
6. To Sleep, Perchance to Dream
7. Training Day
8. With Furious Wrath
9. Grappling with a Monster
10. The Mad Clown ***
11. Revelations **
12. Ever Deeper
13. The Dancing Instructor
14. Way of the Future **
15. Altered States
16. Columbia Stumbled ***
17. Let it Flow
18. Respect da Choka
19. Eeny Meeny Miny Ho
20. Parking Old School
21. Same Difference ***
22. Another Day
23. Onward to Eden
24. Oasis of Humanity
25. Hide and Seek
26. Tin Can Alley **
27. Field of Steel **
28. Molding a Killer
29. A Mother's Wrath
30. Tower Horizon
31. Philosophy on High
32. Policy of Erasure ***
33. Racing the Tempest
34. Finger of God
35. Race to Infamy
36. To be a Hero
37. We the People
38. American Atlas
39. Clearing the Buffers ~ A Postscript

Pre-Outro: Breathe by Télépopmusik

Epilogue:

Post-Outro: Disparate Youth by Santigold ~ The White Tiger Theme

Appendices:
A1. Equipment of Reaper-379, Rokka-Kae (Rahk'kuh-Kay)
A2. Glossary of the Restored Constitution Federal Government (82-count)
A3. Pastoral Pidgin/Slang Vocabulary (131-count)
A4. Pastoral Pidgin Conversations Translated (by Chapter)
A5. Music & Sound Credits

Reference Documentation ~ Not for Public Viewing:
A6. Radio Traffic Conversations Complete (by Chapter)
A7. Memoirs of the Sermons of Rokka-Kae (by Chapter)
R1. Archival Film Footage (transcription) of Chief Justice Eustace Fargo
R2. Chief Justice Fargo's Last Conversation with Judge Dredd
R3. Existing 2000AD Fargo/Dredd/Mega-City One/"Dredd-world" History
R4. Propaganda
(Saved Deleted Chapters)
SD1. The Woo-Bar
SD2. Knockin' at the Woo-Bar

K2

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 February, 2018, 05:39:18 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 28 February, 2018, 02:58:09 PM
Basically Dredd finds some blackmail tapes/dirt on Fargo, suggesting that he had an affair.

I've always felt that the explosive issue in the story wasn't that Fargo may have had an affair - it was that [spoiler]Polders appeared to be Joe's and Rico's mother, and that Justice Dept had lied to them about being clones all their lives.[/spoiler] As we later discover that Goodman had told Dredd about Fargo's actual affair,  it makes more sense that this is what concerns Joe - and Edgar.

What I liked about that is how it completely reversed the lame twist of the then-recent Stallone film. I think Wagner even quoted a very bad piece of Stallone Dredd dialogue ('My whole life is a lie!') and made it work.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

K2

Welp Fellas, that's it;

I finally have it up and finished (past letting it sit and simmer a while before another re-read/edit for grammar and phrasing) due to all of your help.  I am extremely pleased with the result of this project, and confident that conditions were established to give reason for how Judge Fargo became the man he is on the series.

The 2000AD/Rebellion story as it stood left open a great opportunity to try and make the whole scenario plausible.  The greatest challenges being:

* How to get a young Harvard Law graduate, turned U.S. prosecutor, to such a point that he toughens up enough to be a field duty Street Judge.  That's a pretty big leap from a lawyer/politician to a street cop/judge who leads by example.
* How to put the U.S. into such a position that the citizens accept overriding the Charters of Freedom.  Here in the U.S. that is an unimaginable concept.  Our nation didn't spend years existing under various systems to then work our way to democracy and civil rights; the U.S. was founded and built upon them.
* Lastly, making it all happen in a mere decade (using today as the starting point).

Finally, having stood the world on its ear in the story to make all that happen, I even added an "out."  Essentially, anything in my story can be discounted in whole or part in existing or subsequent works, yet alters nothing in what I've written.

Though I will not post links to the story (due to content and to not spam), if any are curious how it turned out and wish to take a peek you can perform a search for "WRIST: Writers, Readers, Interaction, Stories & Themes" where it will be found in the only section of the forum a visitor can see.

A second option would require you to check the story section of the notorious blue adult forum (of which some of you may be members of).

In any case, thank you all so much once again!  You helped generate a novel I'm proud of!

K2