Main Menu

Prog 2076 - Divide + Conquer!

Started by Magnetica, 07 April, 2018, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 April, 2018, 05:17:41 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 09 April, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
Anderson left me a little lost again this time... then NINJA JUDGE

I wondered if this was Tempest? They seem to be throwing in every other supporting character they can think of!

Good call - I did wonder who was wearing a Judge-like costume but with unauthorised modifications.  Think you've got it there.

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 April, 2018, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: SIP on 08 April, 2018, 01:00:56 AM
Would have to say that Carlos and John on strontium dog is absolutely what is keeping me buying the prog at this point.

Nothing else floating your boat? Tough crowd...

... no kidding!  <meant in jest><rant>I mean seriously, Coleby's work on Jaegir is going from strength to strength and Rennie once again turns out a cracking tale!  It's been a while since we've seen Mr Johnson's work but he's turned out quality work to complement Eglington's writing.  Abnett and Yeowell on Sin/Dex?  As the old saying goes, 'nuff said.'  Anderson is the weakest by far but only because most of us have quite literally lost the plot.  Roach's artwork makes up for what is either a confusing script or speech bubbles that could do with being better placed.  [My money was on the Tempest appearance at the end but we'll see].  If none of that 'floats your boat', as Jim so eloquently put it, then I really am at a loss as to what to suggest.</rant><meant in jest (well, a little ... actually, quality wise, no, but as a personal attack ... aye)>

TordelBack

Thought that was an all-thriller issue,  not a dull panel in the thing.  Captivated by Johnson and Bulmer's art on Dredd, very nice, and just realised that it reminds me of [spoiler]Kim Raymond[/spoiler]: this is a good thing in my book.

Excellent episodes all round: particularly enjoying Beeby on Anderson pulling a Kek-W and just lashing on the characters until it explodes, very dense and diverting.

Tjm86

Aye, I'm going with a third alternative on Anderson.  Based on a re-read from the start, I'm being a dull reader.  This has definitely piqued my interest.  Something that has suborned PSI judges, that has Hershey worried.  As Anderson says, "We're being rounded up'."  By whom, by what?  Sorry Ms Beeby, you have been given a disservice with my previous comment.

Geoff

Jaegir's the top thrill for me this prog by a fair margin.  Coleby's art goes from strength to strength, loved last week's cover by him. The story, action and humour - the classic 2000ad combination!

No so taken with Dredd, with the art or these Son's of Booth characters.  Is the child being held in his mother's arms at the bottom of the penultimate page supposed to look like that..? The grinning Dredd is nicely done though.

Sin Dex is enjoyable stuff, with some fresh colouring.  Sadly David Roach's beautiful art is rather wasted on the messy and almost incomprehensible Anderson story and not improved by the colouring.

This feels wrong (criticising the King)...but...I do think Ezquerra's art on SD is rather lacking in detail and finish.  Rather too much bare digital background colour.  It's still great to see him on SD and the idea of Wulf's son is engaging although the story isn't the most exciting.  Those glass creatures are pretty horrifying though.

I may have missed something...but do we know what's up with Kenton's nose, or lack of it?     

TordelBack

Quote from: Geoff on 11 April, 2018, 10:17:27 PM
I may have missed something...but do we know what's up with Kenton's nose, or lack of it?   

Half-mutie, innit. Either that or he committed a crime on Garn.

Tjm86

... or the Formorians got hold of him.  Damn.  Pat Mills gets everywhere.

TordelBack

...or Kid Shaleen bit it off in Wolf City, Wyoming.

TordelBack

Damint, auto correct,  you humourless bastard: Wulf City.  A pun fumbled!

Frank

I adore everything about Strontium Dog, especially the villains. Wagner follows Man U ...

Tjm86

... one for the 'things that went over my head' thread!   :lol:

norton canes

Cover: Another stunning Alex Ronald effort, putting Dredd in the background to great effect. Someone on FB mentioned that the colour pallet appeared to be taken from a tin of Quality Street :)

Dredd: Good, but, I've not been massively taken by any of the Sons of Booths stories yet. Here, with the focus being on two blocks, I don't really get a sense of city-wide tension. Let's see how it pans out though.

Jaegir: Let's just say that Hunted has been firmly relegated to the realm of bad memories! A really nicely conceived kidnap plan, and a great bit of humour with the robot. Must admit I've never thought of the Norts actually speaking a different language, apart from the odd "Nain!!".

SinDex: But... what... Sin's dead? Or what?? Shit! Exciting.

Anderson: Sure it's a bit of a dog's dinner but I'm loving every frame!

Strontium Dog: I think if there is a problem here it's that there are too few panels to the page. I'm enjoying it but there just isn't enough of it!

Overall things must be going well as I've used six exclamation marks in that review.

!

Blue Cactus

I just re-read the four episodes of Anderson back to back as I was having a bit of trouble with it, and it all makes perfect sense. The storytelling is just a lot more dense than we are used to on this particular character. I do think at points things could be a little clearer, and sometimes the dialogue is also very condensed in a way that makes it tricky to follow, but at the same time I admire Beeby's choice to avoid captions explaining what's going on either as a third person narrator (which can sometimes seem a little childish) or as Anderson's own 'thoughts' (an approach which often reads as unnatural or unconvincing). The fact that there is an overall baddie called 'The King' and that Karyn is possessed by a different unrelated baddie called 'the Vampire King' was a bit unfortunate. I'm glad to see Karyn back though, always liked her, though I think the Adrian Salmon and Dean Ormston versions are definitive! Is Judy Janus going to turn up?

If the ninja is Tempest I hope I can find him less irritating than I used to.

James Stacey

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 12 April, 2018, 10:57:04 AM
The fact that there is an overall baddie called 'The King' and that Karyn is possessed by a different unrelated baddie called 'the Vampire King' was a bit unfortunate.
Ah that might help make sense of it

TordelBack

My thoughts are along the same lines as Blue Cactus' - the density of the story makes it slightly difficult to unpick week-to-week, but it also makes it very satisfying, and distinct from Grant's (later) work.  I really like the idea of this being Crisis on Infinite Anderson-Substitutes, and for the first and probably only time I would welcome the return of Judy J'Anus, like wholely.